PDA

View Full Version : Questions on going active...

thedust316
01-23-2009, 11:01 PM
How difficult is it to go active? I like the idea of it because it looks like it can be cheaper than a component set. I just want to make sure it's the right choice for me.

gunz4me
01-23-2009, 11:27 PM
It depends. You can go basic by purchasing a 3 way electronic crossover, or you can go sophisticated by going with an Alpine CDA-9887 or a Pioneer 800PRS.

At a minimum you will need the crossover and dedicated amplifier power for your tweeters, mids, and sub. The fun part is picking the right set of drivers to go active! You sure those components are looking more expensive now?

Phlipbak
01-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Ya it's not cheap..

I bought ID OEM mids for 90$ shipped

Seas Neo tweeters 27TAFNC/G for 75$ or so shipped

Alpine CDA-9887 HU for 270$??? (i think) shipped

Annndd I got a ZX650.4 for 175$ shipped.

That's what it took to go active.

O, and the baffles for the doors and tweeters

Slammed
01-24-2009, 02:02 AM
not difficult at all....I dont think I will ever go passive again (been active for over 6 years now)

alpine 9815 is also an active h/u :fyi:

check out my active setup in my sig

Slammed
01-24-2009, 02:03 AM
BTW...you should buy used from reputable sellers :)

d-REW
01-24-2009, 03:00 AM
whats active mean?

Pyro_By_Nature
01-24-2009, 03:05 AM
Once you go active you'll never want to go back to passive. I love the flexibility of it. With my CDA-9813 I can change crossover points, slopes, and level in a few seconds.

shaneb
01-24-2009, 03:06 AM
whats active mean?

Active means, active processing. Basically doing the filtering and controlling of frequencies for all the channels prior to the amp stage. Sending certain frequencies for the amps to send to the drivers.

It's really not difficult, you can pick up a older Eclipse deck or a alpine deck for under 200 dollars used. Get a 4 channel amp or (2) 2 channel amps and go for it.
All you need is a deck with 2way + sub or 3way processing. Basically one that will go High Mid Low, instead of Front Rear Sub.
Know your crossover points for your equipment and set em right!

James Bang
01-24-2009, 03:07 AM
i've been going active for a while now.. but I haven't noticed any difference in my weight or body fat.

d-REW
01-24-2009, 03:08 AM
i see i beleive my kenwood 6019 has these levels i have focal componants and coax and a 4 chan already how do i set it up

shaneb
01-24-2009, 03:11 AM
i see i beleive my kenwood 6019 has these levels i have focal componants and coax and a 4 chan already how do i set it up

If your deck is capable. You will wire the tweeters to the front (high) channel, the mids to the rear (mid) channel and subs to sub channel (low). And if you insist on rear fill, run it off deck power. You will have to look at the manual for your deck to see how to switch it to the other mode. Run your tweets of 2 channels of your amp, from the front outputs on the deck. Run mids from the other 2 channelson the amp from the rear outputs from the deck.

Phlipbak
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
If your deck is capable. You will wire the tweeters to the front (high) channel, the mids to the rear (mid) channel and subs to sub channel (low). And if you insist on rear fill, run it off deck power. You will have to look at the manual for your deck to see how to switch it to the other mode. Run your tweets of 2 channels of your amp, from the front outputs on the deck. Run mids from the other 2 channelson the amp from the rear outputs from the deck.

On a 9887 it's backwards, mids go to front, tweeters to rear

Slammed
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Im selling my alpine 9815 for $160 shipped :)

FoxPro5
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
i've been going active for a while now.. but I haven't noticed any difference in my weight or body fat.

That's because you have to put good music into the system to get the full benefit. ;)

atsaubrey
01-25-2009, 01:37 AM

Yung grshoppa es lerning.