PDA

View Full Version : My Big Fiberglass F***-Up

DJ B-Stee
08-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Wow...

well i decided to try my hand at fiberglassing an amp rack in the corner of my trunk (by the tail light) and i went to my home depot and picked up about $70 of materials. Got home, read the instructions quickly, started setting everything up.

I did 2 packets of mat to make the base and then went inside to let it dry and harden. only when i came out, it had not dried at all. :confused: I figured it was the humidity and that it may take longer. It's been 2 days now and i just finally realized where my complete screw up was.

Turns out i have no concept of measurements. I actually ended up using a quart of resin and adding in the appropriate hardener for an ounce of resin. Big Difference. :banghead:

Soooo.....
i'm gonna do this again and see if i can get the difference between an ounce and a quart correct this time. another thing, i'm doing this on the passenger side tail light corner, and i'm right handed. any suggestions on how to angle myself to efficiently apply the mat and resin? should i climb inside the trunk, paint upside down, or learn to do it left handed?

kingpin_jeffie
08-16-2003, 01:59 AM
Reminds me of the time I caulked a box with only one half of a two part caulking epoxy. Didn't dry even after a week....

As for climbing in your trunk..probably a bad idea. Lots of fumes make you go :crazy:

Id say learn how to paint upside down and left handed