PDA

View Full Version : changed my mind, going active

reclessantics
01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
So I tryed to fix a broken passive component crossover....
and its still broken so i give up on that idea.
what im thinking now is ill run 2 4 channel amps.

the set up im thinking - (going active)
its a 2000 chevy silverado ext cab.

i want to run the big speakers - 6 1/2's in the front doors
6 x 8's in the back (custom box)
off of a nice sundown 100x4 channel

then run 4 tweets 2 in the front and 2 midway in the back pointing front
off of a smaller (if i can get this deal) blaupunkt 60 x 4 channel (or smaller alpine amp)

what would i need to run all the rca's (2 front high pass, and 2 rear high pass) + sub rca, to the HU?

thanks
feel free to give advice or tips or criticize

JimJ
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Why that many speakers?

budahbuddy803
01-20-2009, 06:11 PM
if running active why not mid in the door and tweet in the door? There is no need to power the rear speakers when it comes down to imaging. If you REALLY need rears i would just run those off of the HU.

reclessantics
01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
word, im def trying it out without anything in the back.... i know this will get bashed, but i am learning lol - i wired my larger speakers in a series, and then the smaller speakers in a series, then parellel wired them both together, for a final 4 ohm load. so 8 speakers on a 2 channel amp. just to see if i wanted the back speakers.
but yeah it would be much easier just to do 2 door, 2 tweets. there wasn't a place in the door, and i was experimenting, and i mounted them in front, up on the "bar" near the ceiling. (onthe corners)

and yeah i took the back seat out of my truck, so i doubt id need rears.
but maybe one day, id like to add another set of mids.. (but i havn't been into this too long so ill probably learn lol)

thanks

budahbuddy803
01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah, just from experience i enjoy a nice strong front stage with the only fill coming from the rear is a sub. If you do a proper install with deadened doors, good crossover points, EQ, and decent power, the need for rear fill is only if you have passengers in the back.

My brother is the only one who has ever asked about a rear stage. He tells me he likes to be "surrounded" with sound. I told him music comes from infront of you like concerts and he understood, but didnt get why i wanted to watch a concert rather than be "engulfed" in the music. I tried to explain how it is extremely difficult to get the imaging and T/A right so that the sound is focused with speakers in the rear and front on a single person in the front. But he didnt understand that.

budahbuddy803
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
word, im def trying it out without anything in the back.... i know this will get bashed, but i am learning lol - i wired my larger speakers in a series, and then the smaller speakers in a series, then parellel wired them both together, for a final 4 ohm load. so 8 speakers on a 2 channel amp. just to see if i wanted the back speakers.
but yeah it would be much easier just to do 2 door, 2 tweets. there wasn't a place in the door, and i was experimenting, and i mounted them in front, up on the "bar" near the ceiling. (onthe corners)

and yeah i took the back seat out of my truck, so i doubt id need rears.
but maybe one day, id like to add another set of mids.. (but i havn't been into this too long so ill probably learn lol)

thanks

I didnt notice until now... where are you in SC?

reclessantics
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
columbia lol yeah i just saw aiken
good stuff

yeah i totally understand that. (being at a concert)
would that be dumb to ad another midbass? or something like that? (up front)

budahbuddy803
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
columbia lol yeah i just saw aiken
good stuff

yeah i totally understand that. (being at a concert)
would that be dumb to ad another midbass? or something like that? (up front)

I just think instead of buying more equipment i would spend money on deadening so you can reduce vibrations and resonance. I would seal up all the holes in my doors and then grab some 6.5" mids that can handle 150-200 rms. That WILL provide you with more than enough midbass! I have like <80rms to my mids and am happy but still going to upgrade and give them 150rms. I only send 40-50rms to my tweets and they blend well. Also only run 250-300rms to my sub. I really think my system blends well together no matter what genre of music i listen to. If needed i could take my sub out and the only reason i would miss that is for rap which i rarely listen too.

I would do a proper 2 way install up front with a lot of deadening and good processing and then go from there if you arent satisfied. If you arent happy with a 2 way it would surprise me.

reclessantics
01-20-2009, 11:02 PM
what about processing?
speakers to amp, then amp rca to HU rca? or something in the middle of the amp to hu?