PDA

View Full Version : aeroports need the same lenght?

Xprime4
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
well my sub just can't fit in the box coz there is like 2inch of aeroports in the way. Can i just cut it and expect little to no change in tuning?:p:

i got 4 4inch x 18 inch ports in a 7.3ft/cu enclosure before displament

rickymac21
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
That would change the tunning... if you can, just make the aeroports on the outside of the box.. thatll save you lots of room in the box.

MikeyB
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Re-design or come up with a better solution.

You got room for double, triple, quad baffle? lol

99grandprixGT
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
hell ya 3 inch baffle FTW

Xprime4
01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
well the box is already done and redone ... no space for aeros outside of the box. Lets say trunk is no more :D

well i'll try it anyway to see what it sounds like

Xprime4
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM
no more comments? it seems like the shorter aeros push a lot more air than the longer but tuning wise it doesn't sound bad.

So do the aeros need to be the same exact lenght? or can i check tuning by adding their total lenght and divide by 4 ( i've 4 aeros)

PSturmer
01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
couple hz difference. to daily it will tune it a little higher. if you dont like the sound of it you can always think of a different idea. but try it first, because its simple

Xprime4
01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
couple hz difference. to daily it will tune it a little higher. if you dont like the sound of it you can always think of a different idea. but try it first, because its simple

well my big amp blow last week and my bxi2006d will get here soon. So right now i'm pushing it with a ma audio amp 500 watt amp that **** hard and well i expected more sq from the Q. I'll see later and might just seal that box if i don't like the sound

Xprime4
01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
lil bumb on different aeros lenght downgrading the sq on sub

DBDRAGGUY
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
If it were me , I would remove 1 of the ports and retune the rest.

Xprime4
01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
If it were me , I would remove 1 of the ports and retune the rest.

yeah good idea. So with one aeros, they said i'm gonna need them at 13.92 Inch to make the box at 30hz. Less aeros = shorter one too :confused:
Anyway i'll be doing this if it work for sure :veryhapp:

skmfkr
01-23-2009, 06:23 PM
my box is 6.5cubes with 4 4" aeros and i have one plugged right now so its tuned to 30.5hz i dont hear any port noise. if you made all 4 about 12.5" long you could plug one and tune it to 30hz and 35hz

Xprime4
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
my box is 6.5cubes with 4 4" aeros and i have one plugged right now so its tuned to 30.5hz i dont hear any port noise. if you made all 4 about 12.5" long you could plug one and tune it to 30hz and 35hz

what you mean by plugg? remove the port and seal the hole? got pics of your design

skmfkr
01-23-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.edesignaudio.com/logos/4_in_tall_main.jpg

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_76_101&products_id=762

Xprime4
01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
well i want will have some time tommorow to work on that, but calling a plugg will take like 3 weeks to get here in canada. What else can i use?

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
now that i'm putting a lot of power on it, it just doesn't sound right at all. Sound pretty bad when i'm putting my ear next to the aeros.
So i'll be removing one, sealing the hole and then cutting the others 3 to 14 inch each. From internet calculator i would be back to my desired tuning.

Is it normal that it really sound like **** now that i'm putting 1500 watt to it unclipped. Sound almost like a mechanical noise coming off the ports

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm laughing inside right now...

Post pics of your box or the design. Also how do you know you're not clipping? did you test it? I'm running a Q and there is no way it can sound bad on it's own. That would take a little effort from you.

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
:confused:
I'm laughing inside right now...

Post pics of your box or the design. Also how do you know you're not clipping? did you test it? I'm running a Q and there is no way it can sound bad on it's own. That would take a little effort from you.

well i the amp just got into my car and i tuned it real conservative as far as the gain goes. i'm sure the Q wouldn't like being pushed 2000 watt while not even fully broken in... ain't done the testtone test yet but prolly pushing around 1000 watt atm

the box design is the problem i'm pretty sure. Ain't got pics with me but :
-7.3 before all displacemnt
-4 x 4" aeros that aren't the same size :rolleyes: 2 per side on the side of the box (only clearance i had). tuned to 30hz before aeros mod (the sub wouln't fit otherwise... was drunk when constucting it :laugh: )

so there is like 2 aeros that are 19inch long, 1 that is like 15inch and the other like 17... yeah that's pretty much anything :laugh:

It sound nice till i start to push some power. After that, it sound pretty bad (port noise + mechanical noise + rattle).... :crap:

I got the sub brand new and in free air there was no annoying noise like this. I hear it mostly when i put my ears next to the side with the 19inch and 15inch port. The other aeros, on the other side of the box, makes normal aeros sound.

And by the feel of the air coming out, the shorter aero push a lot more air
that's why i'm guessing my "drunken ***" design *****:veryhapp:

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Guarantee you it's your install.

I have a bunch of questions and concerns.

1. What type of electrical system is in your car?
2. Who designed your enclosure
3. If you don't set the amp properly there is no way to tell if you have it setup correctly.

lets start there

Lakota
01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I've had my port lengths off by a 1/4" before. If you're reasonably close it doesn't matter too much.

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Guarantee you it's your install.

I have a bunch of questions and concerns.

1. What type of electrical system is in your car?
2. Who designed your enclosure
3. If you don't set the amp properly there is no way to tell if you have it setup correctly.

lets start there

1. Pretty poor but i'm monitoring my voltage every second when bumping. Never goes under 13v. Not bumping too long either or when i'm not on the highway.
2. Me, with the help of rashaad for the aeros port dimension. Everything was going well until i had to cut the top part of the box coz my lid wasn't closing... then two aeros got in the way hence the cutting of them...
3. Amp set properly. ss, hpf, gain everything is set by me and i know how amp work. I've set the gain conservatively coz i don't want to blow it.. just got the amp yesturday, did a swap with my low power amp . Now that the sub got some nice excursion, noise are just unbearable... gain set around 1/4 but 1/4 is not a science... but i'm pretty sure i'm not clipping it. That doesn't sound like clipping, more like if the box wasn't sealed right in corner or around port or the port themselves

i'm 99% sure it's a port problem.

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Do yourself a favor and ask for a enclosure design from one of the knowledgeable members on this site.

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I've had my port lengths off by a 1/4" before. If you're reasonably close it doesn't matter too much.

do you only have one? if so it will only affect tuning. My problem is that almost every of my 4 ports are differents lengh... :eek:
Pretty marginal :laugh:

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Do yourself a favor and ask for a enclosure design from one of the knowledgeable members on this site.

I've been designing it with multiple port calculator then i got it approved by rashaad... when i first build the box it was perfect... modifications i made to it aren't at all.... i was wandering if the different lengh was "****ing" the tuning in the way it sound atm.

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Well if you want me to check the box give me the specs when you can.

But it does sound like you need to correct your box issues in order to correct the problem.

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Well if you want me to check the box give me the specs when you can.

But it does sound like you need to correct your box issues in order to correct the problem.

i'll make it short just say tell me if my next modification sounds accurate

7.3 ft/ before sub and aeros displacement
.25ft sub displacement.
around .3-.5 ft/cu of aeros displacement ( that will be a clean 3 aeros x 4inch diameter, x 14-15 for 30hz tuning)

that sould leave my around 6.5 net tuned at 30hz with 3 x 4inch aeros of the same exact lengh each.

sound ok? i've checked it with few people and lot of calculator and it seems fine.
If there's still port noise i'll simply seal the Q. There is absolutly no bracing , 3/4 mdf... maybe the box is falling appart at high level

I ain't got a lot of time to play around it with university and my job.. + the **** cold.

btw in my home, before i mod the box it sounded awesome. hitting really really low :D with only few hundred watts

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
So lets assume the box is actually those dimensions listed.

6.74ft^3 tuned to 29.8hz. With three 4"x14" aeros

And I'll warn you now, that box will require bracing being that size. You are going to hear the enclosure flexing...

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
So lets assume the box is actually those dimensions listed.

6.74ft^3 tuned to 29.8hz. With three 4"x14" aeros

And I'll warn you now, that box will require bracing being that size. You are going to hear the enclosure flexing...

It might be that. by the look, the box seems to hold the pressure but it sound like it doesn't... i'll give a look in few minute before going to class

thank's man.
What kind of bracing should I use?

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
It might be that. by the look, the box seems to hold the pressure but it sound like it doesn't... i'll give a look in few minute before going to class

thank's man.
What kind of bracing should I use?

T-rods, Dowels, MDF corner/swiss cheese baffles...

anything really.

Buck
01-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I see my idea for your avatar worked.

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I see my idea for your avatar worked.

Indeed, it needs to be shared.

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
got like half an hour of testing time. I put some screw on the top mdf sheet and it seems to help a little. I realize that the car was rattling a lot more than with my alpine type r 12 even if there's a shitload of dynamat extrem on big panel of the car. The sub is loud too, as loud as the type r which surprise me but ain't sounding good at high level coz of all the rattling :(

tRiGgEr
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
well fix that box mang.

Xprime4
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
sound like **** on some line and sound ok at best on other... i got to take this box out perfect it alot. Did my gain test tough and it was fine.

Xprime4
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
ok mods done! lot of screws, same lenght aeros and a lot of silicon later it finally sound good.

I'll need some more deadening tough :(