PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustics SPZ60 or Alpine SPX-17PRO

bread0710
01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
im looking at getting a set of either of them and i was wondering which set be better louder abd sound better to go with my two 12in FI btls im getting? i looked and cant find a thread of a direct comparison of the two. I cant listen to either set since there is no place around here that sells anything, so if anyone has either set if i could get some input of each that would be great. and as far as power im not sure yet since i dont know which set i want. thanks guys

wu501
01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
I would go boston out of the two. I run the pro60's and they get very loud and have no problem keeping up with the subs. The SPZ60's are a step up so they should be even better :)

LOW ET
01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
you have a pm

mk_
01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm partial to the boston's also.

bread0710
01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I would go boston out of the two. I run the pro60's and they get very loud and have no problem keeping up with the subs. The SPZ60's are a step up so they should be even better :)

thanks for the quick replay guys :)

i was looking at them also i might get them to save a few hundred. is there a big difference in sound compared to the spz60s? and what amp do you have powering them? im thinking of a sundown.

excelon72
05-18-2009, 06:12 AM
you REALLY need to consider two things number one the bostons retail for 1200.00 the alpines for 600 ish. unless your a marketing guy selling something 200% price is HUGE. also bostons are awesome BUT they are in the "bright" family of tweeters. most of the high RMS speakers are. the ring radiator is much smoother. that does not mean better just the way it sounds is all. and rear speakers are for rear passenger entertainment if you have a 4 door suv then it makes sense to have all 4. if your a SPL guy or a trunk monkey as i call them then go with the bostons they can handle much more power and are loud as hell. the alpines sound smoother and change the music less giving more of a SQ sound. again that doesnt mean better but an sq guy doesnt want bright or deep or thundering he wants flat response and smooth to replicate the music as it was intended. most people who think they are sq arent

MercuryMilan
05-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Well I had SPZ60's and pro60's in my car with 150watts pumping into each of them. They were very loud, but they blew out after a year and a half. therefore, i' m staying away from boston acoustics, so I say go with the alpine and save money

FJF
05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Well I had SPZ60's and pro60's in my car with 150watts pumping into each of them. They were very loud, but they blew out after a year and a half. therefore, i' m staying away from boston acoustics, so I say go with the alpine and save money

How about staying away from the volume knob instead? ;)

excelon72
05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
i have been installing car audio for over 20 years and i have NEVER blown a speaker set that was installed and setup properly. im afraid user error is to blame everytime. FIRST rule learn the diff between peak and RMS that is your friend. second turn the gain on the amp down all the way and the stereo volume all the way up slowly increase the gain until you hear distortion and back down a little. especially bostons dont blow i would bet my 1700.00 head unit something was wrong, if the amp was cheap even if you thought it was good and did not have circuit or thermal protection you can blow if the temp insisde amp gets too hot. sorry for your loss but for volume its hard to beat bostons...not my cup of tea but awesome nonetheless

Hoodlum007
05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
The Boston SPZ are going to be a much better set.

excelon72
05-18-2009, 04:27 PM
agreed depending on musical taste, but in build quality, wattage handling and volume and higher end clarity they are better they are also twice the price keep that in mind . for 1200 there are bertter options than the spz. the highest rated 1,000 speaker EVER was the polk sr6500 with the ring radiaztor tweeter. they will handle lots of power AND sound clear as hell. too deep for my pockets sighhhh

mmouse57
05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
165 kps focals are in same price class at most retailers and sound damm good.

excelon72
05-18-2009, 11:49 PM
agreed i heard the focals. alittle warm for me they tend to almost sound to good covering up sharpness to allow for its smooth sound. i cant afford the focals i want lol

spiroh
06-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I just wanted to add to this thread. I heard the SPZ60, Pro60s, and the 17pro for the first time today and I must say I was amazed with all 3 sets. The Pro60 was more in your face and detailed and frankly sounded the best to my ears. The spz60 was in a different room and sounded really good too but not as good as the Pro60's. Hard to make a comparison between the two since they were installed in different rooms running on different amps and such. The 17pros were set up in the same room as the Pro60s, wow to me they sounded neutral and detailed with very nice midrange. I wasn't expecting it to sound so good. I also heard the JL XR or VR's not sure which one but they sounded very similar to the Boston Pro's only not as clear midrange. I'd be happy with any of the 3 sets in my car and I'm actually considering changing my current setup to a boston pro spz60 or pro60.

MBrock4u
06-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes indeed, Boston's are quite amazing. Hard to ever go wrong with them. Boston' s though as you have seen tend to be a bit pricey. On the sub stage side, Boston G5's are pure sweetness. I love my G5.

got-one-eight
06-29-2009, 12:53 PM
agreed i heard the focals. alittle warm for me they tend to almost sound to good covering up sharpness to allow for its smooth sound. i cant afford the focals i want lol

That would be the first warm sounding not sharp set of Focal's I have ever heard of and Ive had a few sets. To the OP I like the Boston's out of the two you chose but for the $ there are better sets out there. The Boston's I have owned always got loud but a bit sharp.

Sir-Lancelot
06-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I have the Pro60se's and to me they sound great.
I bridged a Fosgate 450.4 on them and they are asking for more.

The tweeter does get bright, but not Infinity Refrence bright. Mine are set at 0, so when it cools off I will try out the other options of -2 & -4.

When I replace the rear door speakers on the Yukon XL, I will do so with another set of Pro60se's. Best $300.00 I have spent on components.