PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Germaniums or Focal K2p's?

Jumbo Jet
01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
First post here, looking forward to meeting everyone.

I had a set of Boston Pro 60's in my truck but I sold them because I felt the highs were a bit too bright with their alloy tweeter. I really prefer the warmer feel of a silk tweeter. I've heard the Focal K2P's and they sound very good, however I have been reading tons of great reviews on the Rainbows. There isnt a Rainbow dealer anywhere near me so hearing them isnt possible..... I'll be buying them sight unseen, or unheard. Price wise they are both in my budget, but I think I'll really enjoy the warmth of the Rainbow's silk tweeter.

My Bostons were running on an Alpine F-550, but I plan on buying a JL 300/4v2 for the Rainbows.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, good or bad on the Rainbows.

Thanks in advance

SQPL
01-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Here is a review of the rainbow germaniums..

http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/cae_0709_rainbow_cs_germanium/index.html

hope that helps.

Jumbo Jet
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
It does, thanks. I actually have that issue laying around here somewhere. I was kinda hoping to get some real world feedback from people who actually have them installed. But thanks again, that issue is what actually turned me on to them in the first place.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Rainbows everyday. I've seen a bunch of reviews saying the tweeters are buttery smooth.

Anybody know where a good place to buy them online is? I see that Rainbow has, or possibly had a satellite office in Naples, FL not too far from me, but they dont have a contact email or phone number listed.

Thanks

SQPL
01-17-2009, 01:03 PM
woofersetc.com

okiedokie
01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
both are good sets

headless
01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
wouldn't buy from woofersetc...

I had a set of germaniums; really liked them. The only thing that made me want to upgrade was the power line CS - but those are twice the cost of the germs. Not too many people are going to have had both of these sets; good luck on finding someone who has owned both. I've owned the germs and heard the k2p's...i prefer the germaniums sound though i suspect the focals get a bit louder. I suspect the installation & tuning would be the defining factor as far as which you'd prefer.

If you need anything from Rainbow, PM 6spdcoupe - Don - here on ca.com. He's got a long history with Rainbow and has always been great to deal with... half of my stereo came from him at least :)

Where in FL are you?

6spdcoupe
01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
woofersetc.com

Is NOT a dealer of rainbow. They cannot replenish stock or offer a warranty. They bought remaining inventory from the former distributor and that is all they have. Once it is gone, it is gone.

6spdcoupe
01-17-2009, 10:06 PM
It does, thanks. I actually have that issue laying around here somewhere. I was kinda hoping to get some real world feedback from people who actually have them installed. But thanks again, that issue is what actually turned me on to them in the first place.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Rainbows everyday. I've seen a bunch of reviews saying the tweeters are buttery smooth.

Anybody know where a good place to buy them online is? I see that Rainbow has, or possibly had a satellite office in Naples, FL not too far from me, but they dont have a contact email or phone number listed.

Thanks

About 4-5 years ago a gentleman was in Naples. This ended back then as well. It was just an office and not a supplier though.

The review in CA&E was also a bit flawed. Trust real life users as well as your own ears. :)

Jumbo Jet
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
The review in CA&E was also a bit flawed. Trust real life users as well as your own ears. :)

What was wrong with the CA&E article ? Did they give them an unfair review for some reason ?

Is Woofersetc a hose job ? I've read good reviews about them but I take that with a grain of salt too.

Can I get the Rainbows thru you?

6spdcoupe
01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
What was wrong with the CA&E article ? Did they give them an unfair review for some reason ?

Is Woofersetc a hose job ? I've read good reviews about them but I take that with a grain of salt too.

Can I get the Rainbows thru you?

Unfair intentionally? No. The speakers are meant for a vehicle and are tested by Rainbow in actual vehicles in their facilities for that exact reason. To throw them in a box on a desk is quite unfair and unrealistic. Overall performance will suffer. They also lost points for the lack of the tweeter mounts, this was the former distributors fault, since they did not supply them.

woofersetc ... well they may or may not actually have them. There is no warranty or support. In a nutshell, its a crap shoot.

Yes you can.

SQPL
01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Can you post here or PM me the prices of the rainbow? Thanks.

6spdcoupe
01-18-2009, 09:12 PM
For the Germaniums?

andrew2944r
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
My rainbow set is probally the best set of comps musically I have ever owned, sound is soft, clear and can get loud. Sound really amazing off a Sundown 100.4

Andrew12
01-18-2009, 09:22 PM
For the Germaniums?

si fly

SQPL
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
For the Germaniums?

yep.. CS 265.25 and also the kick version if there is..

kindly include the following:

SAC 265.25 Kick
CMX 265 Kick

Thanks.

6spdcoupe
01-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Germaniums 265s are $480, no kick version for Germs.

SAC 265 kick $300

CMXs were discontinued and replaced with the SAC line.

SQPL
01-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Germaniums 265s are $480, no kick version for Germs.

SAC 265 kick $300

CMXs were discontinued and replaced with the SAC line.

ok. hows the SAC 265 kick?

okiedokie
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
i called woofersetc when they first got rainbows to see if they where an online dealer or not, they aren't a dealer but they do have what they say & they will offer a 1yr warranty on rainbow.
i have had good experience with woofersetc in the past.
even though they use to be a RE Audio dealer, which they haven't told there customers that RE dropped them.
If you buy from them make

okiedokie
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
if you buy from them make sure they put on your invoice that tell will cover those rainbows with a 1yr warranty

6spdcoupe
01-19-2009, 01:11 AM
What difference does it make what it says on the invoice, if they dont have it and cannot get it what is the point? There are very few dealers here in the states that still deal Rainbow and they have enough integrity than to bail out woofersetc.

They also do not have everything listed that they say they do, this is fact.

SQPL
01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
What difference does it make what it says on the invoice, if they dont have it and cannot get it what is the point? There are very few dealers here in the states that still deal Rainbow and they have enough integrity than to bail out woofersetc.

They also do not have everything listed that they say they do, this is fact.

Is the price you posted shipped?

6spdcoupe
01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Yes it is.

SQPL
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Yes it is.

what is your recommended power to the germaniums as well as the sacs?

okiedokie
01-19-2009, 01:54 AM
having it on the invoice will make it easier for them to keep there word, which they have done with me.

6spdcoupe
01-19-2009, 02:08 AM
what is your recommended power to the germaniums as well as the sacs?

80 to 100 per side to get started.

6spdcoupe
01-19-2009, 02:10 AM
having it on the invoice will make it easier for them to keep there word, which they have done with me.

I guess your still missing the point. If they CANNOT obtain the product how are they going to handle it? It doesnt matter what is printed on paper, there is no recourse for them to take.

Im glad they did it for you, but if just some print on a piece of paper is good enough for you, then I have a bridge in New York for sale, Cheap !

bose301s
01-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Yea, go through Don, it is much better to have a for sure warranty than to risk it through Woofersetc. I have a set of Germaniums waiting to be installed, but being in Michigan that won't happen until May :crap:

Jumbo Jet
01-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Don,

Do the Germs come with with a flush mount kit for the tweeters? $480 shipped is a great price, are you a RAC dealer? They will have full warranty? You'll be hearing from me very soon...... thanks!

SQPL
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
80 to 100 per side to get started.

ok.. how much max power can it handle? I have an amp which is 300w+ rms when bridged.

headless
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
300+ is a bit excessive for the germaniums if you are volume-hungry. If you are sparing with the gain then they can take 200w without issue, though. Just to give you an idea, i'm running 340w/side to my power line cs. The power line CS woofers use the same motor/basket as the vanadium 7" SUBWOOFER. Just look at the difference in the beefyness of the germs vs. power lines:

http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS2.jpg

I ran the same amp to my germaniums but it wasn't necessary at all. The germaniums will get kicking on 150w/side and 200w-250w/side is enough to have plenty of headroom. If you set gains properly they'll be fine on your 2x300w.

My germaniums came with a flush mount for the tweeters...

And Don handles the warranty returns for Rainbow for the US; i've used warranty service through him before with prompt results and no problems.

SQPL
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
thanks, headless.

6spdcoupe
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
300+ is a bit much for the rainbows if you are volume-hungry. If you are sparing with the gain then they can take 200w without issue. Just to give you an idea, i'm running 340w/side to my power line cs. The power line CS woofers use the same motor/basket as the vanadium 7" SUBWOOFER.

I ran the same amp to my germaniums but it wasn't necessary at all. The germaniums will get kicking on 150w/side and 200w-250w/side is enough to have plenty of headroom.

My germaniums came with a flush mount for the tweeters...

And Don handles the warranty returns for Rainbow for the US; i've used warranty service through him before with prompt results and no problems.

This pretty much covers all.

Thanks bud, your quicker than I am. :)

aturcotte127317
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
rainbow>focal imo

jagblazer01
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Rainbow FTW!!

I personally have a set of CMX 465 kicks in my front doors and a set of SLC 265s in my rear doors and couldnt be happier with them. I have also heard a set of the Germs in a car and the output is amazing. My buddy also just put a set of Vanadiums in his truck and those things just blow my mind on clarity

916Kev
01-21-2009, 04:11 AM
I've never heard any Rainbow products so I can't comment on that. I can comment on my Focal K2P (upgraded versions). I got these to replace a set of C5s. I've currently got my amp bridged, doors deadened, speaker pods, and dynaxorb. I've set my HPF at 50hz and these just wail all day long. I turn off my sub just to hear the speakers by themselves and it's so amazing how loud, clear, and low they get. I listen to a lot of hiphop/rap and trance. I've got the tweeters at -3dB and it's amazing how immersive the sound in my car is. I'll continue to turn it up and they sound better and come to life even more and my music comes alive. They can get extremely loud and sound great while doing so. Definitely go check them out and hear for yourself. I'm definitely a believer and would buy them again!!

khanhfat
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Can't go wrong with the focal K2p. The K3 version is even better :D

SQChevy
01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm a focal fan and they've been my favorites for years now.

Jumbo Jet
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I've never heard any Rainbow products so I can't comment on that. I can comment on my Focal K2P (upgraded versions). I got these to replace a set of C5s. I've currently got my amp bridged, doors deadened, speaker pods, and dynaxorb. I've set my HPF at 50hz and these just wail all day long. I turn off my sub just to hear the speakers by themselves and it's so amazing how loud, clear, and low they get. I listen to a lot of hiphop/rap and trance. I've got the tweeters at -3dB and it's amazing how immersive the sound in my car is. I'll continue to turn it up and they sound better and come to life even more and my music comes alive. They can get extremely loud and sound great while doing so. Definitely go check them out and hear for yourself. I'm definitely a believer and would buy them again!!

Thanks for the feedback. I think my heart is set on a set of Germs though. I did hear the K2P's and they sounded great, but all the reviews I've been reading on the Germs make it seem like a perfect fit for me and what I listen to.

I'm thinking of upgrading my amps to exactly what you have, a 300/4v2 for the Germs, and a 500/1v2 for my subs. You happy with your amps? How is the 300/4 on those Focals? Any regrets as far as amps are concerned? I was thinking of bridging a 300/4v2 on a pair of Germs.

Thanks.

916Kev
01-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Amps are great! Got my 4chan bridged and all gains are set properly. They both can run hot but have never had any problems. Not really bass heavy in my car as you can see from the equipment in my sig. The highs/mids keep up with the bass and SQ in my ride is amazing!! Overall gets very loud and doesn't distort. I mess with the bass knob when I want a little extra slap. I'm very content with the balance. Good luck with yo germs.

Jumbo Jet
01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Great, thanks! I only know one person in my circle of friends thats running a JL 300/4 and he loves it. Its nice to hear a review from someone else too. He has his hooked to a set of JL components, dont know which set but they are about 4 years old.

Hopefully all of my prep work is correct for this build. Ive already completed two layers of Dynamat Extreme throughout the entire truck, doors, floors and back wall, and a layer of Ensolite on top of that. I have small pieces of egg crate foam behind each speaker. I've built the speaker brackets in the doors out of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF to sit on axis, aiming towards the listener instead of at my shins.

Right now I'm running a Kenwood DNX8120, Boston Pro 60's, 2 Rockford 10" P3's, Alpine F-550 (fronts) and Alpine M-650 (subs). It sounds pretty good, but I think the combination of a JL 300/4v2 and a 500/1v2 and a set of Germs will put me where I want to be....... sound quality heaven.

When I get the Germs and amps I'll have to get on the amp section and have you guys help teach me how to properly set my gains and whats the correct way to adjust the DTA in the headunit..... I always get hung up on that.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm really looking forward to these Germs.

livinloud89
02-13-2009, 05:05 PM

I totally agree with you. The K2P's are one of the best component speakers I've heard for $500-$600 bucks. These speakers pretty much scream turn me up. The more you turn up the volume the more amazing the sound becomes.....but by that time your deaf. :D :p:

papermaker
02-14-2009, 05:50 AM
my 3 are
DLS 8.2 idinum
helix RS6
Dynaudio 242gt
Help...
also anyone have good prices on mmats amps? i really want to run all matts amps..