PDA

View Full Version : Big trunk, box firing straight up, or angled back?

I Like Waffle
01-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Im having a dilemma with choosing how to mount my box in my car, and ive got 2 options. I can either mount it so its facing straight up, or fasten some 2x4s or something on the bottom to angle it to the back a little. With my previous setup with the box facing all the way toward the back it was loudest, but towards the front it wasnt loud at all. Which is why im thinking i should angle it up. Im thinking the angle of my trunk lid has something to do with the sound waves and all that mess. So angling it back would be the best idea. However that also cuts back on the airspace where air can move over the box, or is that a good thing? Heres a diagram of my 2 options :)

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ajp4yd.jpg

azimuth
01-16-2009, 03:50 PM
why not just fire it back like before? if you only had those 2 options you mentioned, i'd do angled back hands down.

I Like Waffle
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
cant fire it back because i dont have 12s like i had before :) will the box not having airspace above it affect the sound at all?itll have like 2 inches in the back and no space in the front clearing the trunk lid

thorshammer1
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
If you lean it back your gonna suffocate your subs leaving no way for the air to return to cabin. IMO

SSS 18734
01-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I can pretty much guarantee that you won't hear a difference between the two unless the angled box seals it off from the cabin. Just fire them straight up.

You could also build an angled rear-firing enclosure if you have some spare room.

I Like Waffle
01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
sss thats what i plan on doing once i get more box building experience, or either buying one of the prefab ones on ebay. They actually look decent but i havent heard reviews or anything. I think the angled boxes work best in trunks from my experiences. ill just leave it facing straight up.