PDA

View Full Version : Just built my first box. Couple Qs for the pros

I Like Waffle
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
So i just finished building my first box. Its 3/4 fiberboard and mdf ( yes fail i know i used fiberboard due to price and its a practice box). i secured it with 4 inch decking nails, I used gorilla glue in all the seams then on the inside i went around all the edges with a ton of liquid nails to ensure its sealed good.

This was my first attempt at carpeting too. I layed down some adhesive and used staples to hold it in place. I didnt have enough carpet to finish it but the front/top of it is done which is what you will see anyhow. Im gonna paint the remainder of the box black with a couple coats just to help it look better. The box is 2.25 net per chamber which is perfect for the subs i have.

I was wondering though, when you guys carpet a box, do you have carpet in between the sub and the box when its mounted? or do you cut the carpet around the mounting diameter so the sub seals flat to the box? In the last pic youll see what i mean, i outlined the sub then put down the carpet, but im not gonna cut it if i dont need to. And do you think i should use speaker terminals? I was just gonna run my wire (12g) through a hole and seal it up as it seems thatd get the best connection. :confused: Also feel free to flame about what i did wrong so i can learn for the next build :)

Heres pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/drchronic/P4180043.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/drchronic/P4180044.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/drchronic/P4180045.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/drchronic/P4180046.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/drchronic/P4180047.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/drchronic/P4180048.jpg

:)

roarzorz
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
For your first time it's not bad. Leave the carpet the way it is so it'll sit between the sub and the box. You shouldn't ahve to use staples to hold it in place though. Use some 3M spray glue and it will stick into place immediately.

SSS 18734
01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I know this is a practice box, but make sure to use MDF next time. It's much easier to work with. The 4 inch nails isn't the best idea either. Use 1 5/8" drywall screws. Also, I've never actually used gorilla glue to glue my boxes together, but since it is somewhat of an expanding agent, I would think it would loosen the seams. There is no reason not to use wood glue - it's more than strong enough if you use screws and clamps to hold it together while its drying. As for going around the edges to ensure an airtight seal, use silicone instead of more glue.

Terminals make quick disconnects easy and give you more than an adequate connection. Just make sure to silicone them in place, as they're usually weak spots in a box. You could also buy some special connectors that resemble screws with terminals on both sides from parts express - that would be your best choice.

I **** at carpeting, so I'll let someone else help you with that. Although I do know that putting the sub on top of carpet is actually a good idea, as it helps to ensure a seal. Also use spray adhesive instead of staples.

I Like Waffle
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Yea i plan on using mdf for my next build. I got this fiberboard for 10 bucks a sheet so it wasnt a bad deal for practice. MDF here is around 30 a sheet. Ill have to get some clamps too when i build my next box. Exactly what kind of glue would you guys reccomend?

mazdakid
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
What makes mdf much easier to work with sss?

blackbonnie
01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
if your looking for something cheaper then mdf, use novaply. they are basically the same thing but just not as dense as mdf. but not much less dense. thats what i use and i have never had any problems

I Like Waffle
01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
mdf grabs on to screws better and doesnt split as much because its much more dense than the particle board i was using. I said fiber board but thats what i meant. Ill look into that novaply stuff but i plan on using mdf.

john denver
01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Yea i plan on using mdf for my next build. I got this fiberboard for 10 bucks a sheet so it wasnt a bad deal for practice. MDF here is around 30 a sheet. Ill have to get some clamps too when i build my next box. Exactly what kind of glue would you guys reccomend?

I use titebond II works really good and i know alot of others use it aswell. You should be able to find it about anywear that sells wood glue like the same same place you get your wood. Agree with the other guy 4" screws is overkill 1 5/8" works good

john denver
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
you should also predrill when you screw so you dont split the wood

altoncustomtech
01-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Titebond III is about the best glue I've ever used. I've had the wood tear or splinter before the glued joint itself gave away. I think its a good idea you practiced first with the particle board. At $10 a sheet you can screw it up all day long and be out alot less $$$ I'd say practice a couple more times with that cheap stuff 'til your comfortable then switch to the MDF. You can leave the carpet or cut it away and seal your subs with a foam tape, silicone (redneckin' it), or buy some tape just for sealing speakers from a place like Parts Express. You're decision, but for now i'd just let it go. Enjoy what you have and keep on plannin' for your next build. You did a pretty decent job for your first time I look forward to seeing your future projects.

schrummy
01-16-2009, 12:08 AM
not bad

chase007
01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
97x49 peice of mdf 3/4 i got at lows for 23$ and then i got tite bond 3 wood glue there won of the best wood glues out there.....23$ for mdf is very cheap for 12ft of carpet was 28$ for me the total for every thing was 80$