PDA

View Full Version : Kick panels or door pods?

linksyz
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Did anyone have both installed at different times? I know that kick panels would result in a better sound as the door rattles would be completely eliminated. However, if I deaden the doors to the best of my ability and put door pods... would sound be THAT MUCH better in kick panels? I have a 6 speed and I would sacrafice my dead pedal in order to install kick panels and I would HATE that, but if the sound is that much better I would maybe opt for kick panels.

C3 Customs
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Do a listening test, see where the speakers sound best to you....

linksyz
01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Do a listening test, see where the speakers sound best to you....

well in door pods they would be facing me, in kick panels they would be facing each other. I can do a listening test before I mount the speakers but I'm more concerned of minor rattles that might occur even after I deaden my doors.

On a side note, what is the best way to position speakers and tweeters? Does that vary on type of vehicle and what speakers they are? Also, I am sure that it also depends on how much you are planning on tuning your system as well (EQing and time aligning).

Etac
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
why not put a small midrange in the kicks.. and a dedicated midbass ni the doors? =]

linksyz
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
why not put a small midrange in the kicks.. and a dedicated midbass ni the doors? =]

I just bought Focal 165 K2P last night so can't go that route now, lol. Maybe later once I get bored of this set and decide to upgrade.

Innovative:Cory
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
What are you trying to achieve? Tonal accuracy? Accurate Staging?

And you can get excellent mid/sub bass out of a door....I actually have an 8" in mine that will play <30Hz

IDSkoT
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
well in door pods they would be facing me, in kick panels they would be facing each other. I can do a listening test before I mount the speakers but I'm more concerned of minor rattles that might occur even after I deaden my doors.

On a side note, what is the best way to position speakers and tweeters? Does that vary on type of vehicle and what speakers they are? Also, I am sure that it also depends on how much you are planning on tuning your system as well (EQing and time aligning).

Best way to position speakers is straight at the listener's ear... but, you have to test it out, see what you like. Because it's all relative.

Etac
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
then i say doors... i dont think kicks would make a huge difference, and might actually lose midbass putting them in kickpods, depending on enclosure... 6s in the kicks would take up alot of space.. yes imaging would be helped if you put them in the kicks.. but if you can get them low in the doors slightly angled towards you, you should be fine

oldschoolboomer
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
imaging and soundstage are better (generally speaking) in the kicks, but midbass is usually weak and would require midbass' in the doors. door pods give you better midbass but the much larger path length difference will be noticable (your drivers side speakers will sound "closer" than your passenger side....cause they are). I have always preferred mids and tweets in the kicks, with midbass in the doors.

JEXTEL
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
from my experince the doors are better BUT the a-pillars are the best!

linksyz
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the responses guys. I def. do not want to loose any midbass... I was just afraid that doors would rattle in door pods even after 2 layers of rammaat BXT (which I plan on purchasing). So I am def. leaning towards door pods. Also, what do you guys mean with kick panels would allow better imaging and staging? I am sort of new to the whole car audio DONE CORRECTLY lol...

As well as the tweeters go, I can mount them in stock A-Pillars which would be slightly angled towards the windshield or pay $350 to have them molded in? http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5Satm1aw7-E1k2ffxN8c2Q?authkey=l-clGhduJl8&feat=directlink shows them molded in and the stock A-Pillars are on the door with small stock tweeter in them... what do you guys think?