PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on DVD DD HU

Village Idiot
01-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm in the market to get a double din DVD head unit and I'm running in circles with all the brands and choices.

My criteria:
7" good quality screen

Must be easy to use with iPod. I've read reviews on several that say it's next to impossible to navigate an iPod with. This is my primary music source so I don't want to suffer with a ****** interface when having to select songs.

Good audio controls. I want to have a good eq to work with and I want to be able to adjust the subwoofer level indepent of the main eq when I finally get something connected.

Expandability. Possible upgrade for Blue Tooth, HD radio, and maybe even navigation.

I think that's it. I've been looking at Pioneer, JVC, and several other brands and some look like really good choices, but I'm afraid that if I purchase something, it's going to be a nightmare trying to use with my iPod and I'll have wasted my money. Any suggestions and if you've used the head unit, how does it perform with the iPod.

Thanks for any help.

Doola36
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
How much are you looking to spend? I am currently running a Kenwood 812 and it's a really cool HU. So check out some Kenwood DDs.

Village Idiot
01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
How much are you looking to spend? I am currently running a Kenwood 812 and it's a really cool HU. So check out some Kenwood DDs.

But does it work well with an iPod?

I don't care about the price.

bamaboy
01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
wait a little bit and the new 09 stuff will start releasing out

there has to be a price point set, you have units starting at 500$ and going to $2000+

i say kenwood, for the models they have now, the DDX 812 is awesome, excellent ipod interface, great sq features with Time alignments, it will do 5.1 surround, has 13band eq, and built in parrot bluetooth, you can add the garmin nav box onto the unit later if wanted or go ahead and get the DNX8120 which is same as 812 but with nav built in

i only have experience with jvc and kenwood since those are the DD we sell, in the end kenwood>jvc by far

they have new units coming out and they are doing a 9 series this year which will use voice commands also