PDA

View Full Version : Most harsh speakers you've heard?

ric flair
01-15-2009, 01:00 AM
What are the harshest speakers you have heard? Be honest guys, don't lie to me.

lilmaniac2
01-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Guy had some 3" audiopipe tweets where his vents were supposed to be in a cavalier... god that thing was horrid

chaunb3400
01-15-2009, 01:02 AM
knock off brand tweets, they ******

Etac
01-15-2009, 01:03 AM
my memphis msyncs metal dome tweets were kinda harsh but i think they could of been tuned out.. plus the crossovers didnt have a - 3db switch.. which would of helped,

jmanpc
lawl i know a dude who had like 5 pairs of $10 tweeters dangling from his A-pillars. gawd.

SSS 18734
Infinity tweeters are definitely on the harsh side.

ric flair
I'm talking mostly about component sets that just don't sound good.

I think diamond tweeters are much more harsh than infinity, I would say the worst i have heard are diamond hex's and alpine type r and s series.

MTX520
01-15-2009, 01:04 AM
some guy was using 4 dual 6x9's for (bass)..i asked him why he had them in the trunk he said because the 6x9's were his woofers..lol..they sound wow..bad..

MTX520
01-15-2009, 01:06 AM

I think diamond tweeters are much more harsh than infinity, I would say the worst i have heard are diamond hex's and alpine type r and s series.

oh..my fault on that...i gota go with ^^^^..x2

mokedaddy
01-15-2009, 01:06 AM

You can make any speaker sound like ****. :fyi:

ric flair
01-15-2009, 01:07 AM
some guy was using 4 dual 6x9's for (bass)..i asked him why he had them in the trunk he said because the 6x9's were his woofers..lol..they sound wow..bad..

he must have been retarded somehow, or maybe just a little on the autistic side.

bball09124
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I heard a stock system in a Ford Ranger, it was the shrillest thing I ever heard. I think the mids may have been blown and I was listening to just tweets. Made me wince.

ric flair
01-15-2009, 01:17 AM
I heard a stock system in a Ford Ranger, it was the shrillest thing I ever heard. I think the mids may have been blown and I was listening to just tweets. Made me wince.

i hate when the mids are all distorted and sound like ****

MmatsDude
01-15-2009, 01:20 AM

i got the diamond hex tweets they are harsh:crap: but i like harsh sounding tweets.

adam71
01-15-2009, 01:28 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned MB Quart yet.:confused:

adam71
01-15-2009, 01:29 AM
To the OP if you don't care for harsh sounding tweets then just stay away form metal dome tweets.

ric flair
01-15-2009, 01:30 AM
To the OP if you don't care for harsh sounding tweets then just stay away form metal dome tweets.

Some metal dome tweets sound better IMO

adam71
01-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Well of course. But as a general rule metal tweets are harsher. They usually have better power handling but they're still harsh. But I guess it still comes down to personal preference.

Not to mention, processing can play a huge part in that as well.

ric flair
01-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Well of course. But as a general rule metal tweets are harsher. They usually have better power handling but they're still harsh. But I guess it still comes down to personal preference.

Not to mention, processing can play a huge part in that as well.

i still don't get the whole processing hype. Why is it so good?

adam71
01-15-2009, 02:28 AM
i still don't get the whole processing hype. Why is it so good?

I guess I don't really understand the question. I was talking about signal processing. Whether it be in the digital or analog domain. All audio whether it's passive or active such as a bass and treble knob has processing.

Good processing can make decent speakers sound great. Bad processing can make GREAT speakers sound crappy.

An example would be a crossover. Those are not all created equally either.

ric flair
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
I guess I don't really understand the question. I was talking about signal processing. Whether it be in the digital or analog domain. All audio whether it's passive or active such as a bass and treble knob has processing.

Good processing can make decent speakers sound great. Bad processing can make GREAT speakers sound crappy.

An example would be a crossover. Those are not all created equally either.

thanks!

oldschool4me
01-15-2009, 02:34 AM
just about any 3 or 4 way coax.

mbaoo
01-15-2009, 02:42 AM
Are you talking about the kappas? Those have metal domes Im pretty sure. I know my reference series are silk. Mine used be really harsh on the SSSsssssshhh type sounds. It was ear piercing. When I put it to 0db though it went away. I like how mine sound now.

adam71
01-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Are you talking about the kappas? Those have metal domes Im pretty sure. I know my reference series are silk. Mine used be really harsh on the SSSsssssshhh type sounds. It was ear piercing. When I put it to 0db though it went away. I like how mine sound now.

:confused:Are you sure you didn't blow those tweeters.? Because the 0db setting is the louder setting on those x-overs.

Or maybe your protection circuitry is kicked in.

mbaoo
01-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Nuh uh. Mine has a +3db and a 0db setting.

Having it on 0db made a noticable difference from the get go.

adam71
01-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Nuh uh. Mine has a +3db and a 0db setting.

Having it on 0db made a noticable difference from the get go.

I stand corrected. I personally have never seen a passive crossover where 0 isn't the loudest setting. In fact, I've never seen a component set where they allow you to make the tweeters louder. Wow. That's crazy to me. Maybe that's the new thing who knows. The last passives I've used were MB Quart 3 ways and the highest was 0.

Millertime1028
01-15-2009, 04:16 AM
A few horribly tuned setups , no name tweets , and for some reason my ears hated the Infinity Kappas 62.7

infamous_e46
01-15-2009, 04:25 AM
rf tweets

ace_800
01-15-2009, 04:27 AM
The Diamond HEX's I had, god they **** ***

ric flair
01-15-2009, 04:29 AM
The Diamond HEX's I had, god they **** ***

i hate mine, they sound distorted at high volumes.

Why didn't you like them?

mbaoo
01-15-2009, 05:29 AM
I stand corrected. I personally have never seen a passive crossover where 0 isn't the loudest setting. In fact, I've never seen a component set where they allow you to make the tweeters louder. Wow. That's crazy to me. Maybe that's the new thing who knows. The last passives I've used were MB Quart 3 ways and the highest was 0.

Haha yea. It is definately weird. I cant imagine why anyone would want +3db on the tweets.

It was horrible and that was with just 20rms from the factory amp at the time.

Im sure my ears would melt if I reset it to +3db now that I have a proper amp on them.

19992wdtaco
01-15-2009, 06:20 AM

Kicker KS series has a 0db, +3db and +6db switch for the tweeter.

speedfreak28
01-15-2009, 06:36 AM
the alpine type r tweets are harsh, Im not a fan of metal dome tweets anyway, the nicest sounding tweets ive had were the 30mm kicker ss tweets, ive used hertz, pionener cdt, alpine, blaupunkt vc100(nice for the $) and polk

ace_800
01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
i hate mine, they sound distorted at high volumes.

Why didn't you like them?

Because of the same reason, sounded distorted at high volumes. Boston Pros FTMFW....

bdawson72
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
MB QSC's

ramos
01-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Guy had some 3" audiopipe tweets where his vents were supposed to be in a cavalier... god that thing was horrid

You talking about Jarods brother's car? I thought it was a pontiac :confused: But yeah , that **** sounded like bacon frying 20' in front of the car. Bad part was he thought it was the chit :(

orangecounty1
01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
probably bullet tweets, although im going to be running 16 of them, with 16 PA mids, mine wont just be thrown in there on any old amp, no xover/eq, like they do in alot of the donks, etc.

mine tweets will be powered by a sundown 100.4, the new model one, and the crossover will be set and the EQ in my HU so its not harsh.

altoncustomtech
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
OMG you guys must never have listened to Hifonics Zeus series 6.5 Components.... Decent bass response, tweeter was silk dome and quite smooth, but the midrange response on the mid will tear your ears off, eat them and spit them back at you. Love my Atlas's HATE the Zeus's....

I know you guys are gonna nail me for this post.

orangecounty1
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
i almost bought those for my truck (the zxi6.5 comps) and i ended up spending about 15 bux more per set and went with PG RSD 6.5" comps :)

Thedeadly1
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
harshest ive ever heard where kappas

altoncustomtech
01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
i almost bought those for my truck (the zxi6.5 comps) and i ended up spending about 15 bux more per set and went with PG RSD 6.5" comps :)

Be glad you spent the extra $15, you'd have been very disappointed with the Zeus's.....

bamaboy
01-15-2009, 12:49 PM

this is true, a passive xover cant add more sound too it, the company just changes the numbers up to seem like you are adding, but its just bringing it back up to normal

makes most people feel better when you think you can do + 6 instead of 0:crap:

mbaoo
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
So what does that mean in my case?

0db = -3db and +3db= 0db?

snb778
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
so whats the diff. between "harsh" tweets and "sharp" tweets isnt it the same thing

Etac
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Haha yea. It is definately weird. I cant imagine why anyone would want +3db on the tweets.

It was horrible and that was with just 20rms from the factory amp at the time.

Im sure my ears would melt if I reset it to +3db now that I have a proper amp on them.

sigh...
the crossover doesnt make the tweet 3db's louder.. the tweet is prolly just 3db's more sensative than the mid is... so +3 is really 0 for the tweeter. and 0 is -3...

ramos
01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
so whats the diff. between "harsh" tweets and "sharp" tweets isnt it the same thing

semantics :)

altoncustomtech
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Found this neat little tidbit on ZaphAudio.com

"Woofer issues confused with tweeter performance
Related to the above, a poor choice of a crossover point on a woofer (too high) can often lead a person to believe there is a distortion or level problem with a tweeter. A woofer could be generating harmonics well into the range that the tweeter is covering. When a listener declares that they don't like a tweeter they heard in a system, 90% of the time it's the woofer and the design that's actually the problem."

odd order distortion can play a nasty part in what makes a speaker system sound "harsh" as well as installation quality adding to that distortion.... one of the many reasons true SQ competitors use tons of sound deadener everywhere.....

JayRich
01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
The ED 6000's the first ones. Sounded Terrible and the tweeters were harsh and the midbass was terrible. Good paper weights though lol

headless
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Listing +3db or -3db on an x-over is just perspective. Some companies simply consider an attenuated tweet as 'reference' whereas others consider an un-attenuated tweet as the 'reference' whether you see + or - just depends on their perspective.

edzy
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I was under the impression that the Hexs were the ****.. Ive never heard a set, but had read some good reviews. Biggest complaint was the lack of midbass.

Buck
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Those cheap boss tweeters.

ric flair
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Related to the above, a poor choice of a crossover point on a woofer (too high) can often lead a person to believe there is a distortion or level problem with a tweeter. A woofer could be generating harmonics well into the range that the tweeter is covering. When a listener declares that they don't like a tweeter they heard in a system, 90% of the time it's the woofer and the design that's actually the problem."

odd order distortion can play a nasty part in what makes a speaker system sound "harsh" as well as installation quality adding to that distortion.... one of the many reasons true SQ competitors use tons of sound deadener everywhere.....

so are you saying that having your HPF on 100 would lead to distortion to the mid? I don't see how that is possible.

budahbuddy803
01-15-2009, 07:14 PM
so are you saying that having your HPF on 100 would lead to distortion to the mid? I don't see how that is possible.

i think he was talking about the LPF being set too high.

James Bang
01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
EQ

user error

placement

aiming

reflection

don't lie to me.

adam71
01-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Nice post. :D

Active processing FTMFW !!!!!!!!

FoxPro5
01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
EQ

user error

placement

aiming

reflection

don't lie to me.

All lies. No, YOU don't lie to ME! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

mbaoo
01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
sigh...
the crossover doesnt make the tweet 3db's louder.. the tweet is prolly just 3db's more sensative than the mid is... so +3 is really 0 for the tweeter. and 0 is -3...

My bad :rolleyes:

I was just going by what it says on my crossover.

Thanks for letting me know.

altoncustomtech
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM

i think he was talking about the LPF being set too high.

Actually that article is referring to the crossover point of the passive crossover that comes with the componenet sets.... some mids crossed over too high say 4KHz can cause distorted resonances at frequencies the tweeter plays hence it sounds like the tweeter is crap when really its the fault of the design of the crossover. The Hifonics Zeus components I mentioned earlier have that problem REALLY bad.

m3dia_lab
01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
i had these power acoustic tweets for a temp fill god those things would make my ears bleed!! thank god for silk dome

adam71
01-16-2009, 05:57 PM
i had these power acoustic tweets for a temp fill god those things would make my ears bleed!! thank god for silk dome

Thats not to say that titanium or other metal tweeters don't have their place. It all depends on the design and application in which the tweeter was intended. My older home speakers (which I don't use at this time because I have new ones) had titanium dome tweeters but you'd NEVER know it by listening to them. I'm not making this up either. When I was auditioning them in the store back in the day I chose these speakers based on the smoothness of the high end. Sure enough they were titanium and I had NO idea what they were made of til I got them home and read the owner's manual. It was a combination of good tweets and excellent crossover design. So titanium tweets aren't all bad, just too often misused.

BTW, the brand of those home speakers were MIRAGE. Model M-290.

Dak446
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
my infinity tweets....

Ford302Redneck
01-17-2009, 04:15 PM
EQ

user error

placement

aiming

reflection

don't lie to me.

Thank you.