PDA

View Full Version : Can I see how many volts a head unit is putting out with a DMM?

GlocksRock
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
My girlfriend has a Pioneer headunit and it seems as though the voltage output from the RCAs is very weak. Is there a way to test the voltage with my DMM? If so, what setting do I use, and what volume level should I use when testing?

dman4486
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
My girlfriend has a Pioneer headunit and it seems as though the voltage output from the RCAs is very weak. Is there a way to test the voltage with my DMM? If so, what setting do I use, and what volume level should I use when testing?

yes. use VAC and test between the center pin and shielding.

volume would have to be at your listening max and playing a tone for "max" voltage or something dynamic for a real time reading

GlocksRock
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by between the center pin and shielding though... do I put one lead on the center pin, and one on the round part?

dman4486
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by between the center pin and shielding though... do I put one lead on the center pin, and one on the round part?

yes....the "round part" attaches to the shielding in the rca itself and is effectively the ground.

GlocksRock
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks, I will check it out when I get home. I put my old amp in her car and it's barely making her subs bump when it used to make mine slam. I purchased a line driver from someone here on the forum, so hopefully that will take care of the issue.