PDA

View Full Version : PG RSD vs. ID CTX

thedust316
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Which would you choose? And I'd like an explaination on why you would choose the one you do.

I'm trying to decide which to get. I'm on a bit of a tight budget right now. I'd like to get the ID's but it will be a while before I can get them. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the PG's and I could buy them right now if I wanted to. Yes, I plan on amping the speakers and seal and deaden my doors. I have an Alpine MRP-F300 that I will be using. I will bridge it so I can give the speakers up to 150W RMS.

Etac
01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
i have no expierence with these speakers but for how cheap they are.. they look very interesting.. hopefully someone else can chime in cause there is a possiblity that i am compeltely wrong..

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7306_Visonik+V650XTC.html

i know that doesnt really answer your question.. but i dont wanna tell you ID or the psgs cause i never heard either in person... but im sure everything ID makes is great.... and im sure the psgs are good.. but dont always go for forum boners.. i think they tend to get a little overrated....imo

shaneb
01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I run a pair of CTX mids in my car, paired up with horns. I ran the passive set for about 2 weeks. The are suprising well made low line components. The highs were crisp and clean and the midbass is great. Bandpassed from 80-1.6k I couldn't be happier. Awesome set. And the customer service at ID is great!

da box king
01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I had 2 sets of the rsd's...decided not use them since people were havin problems with tweets blowing

sooo instead I went and bought me the ctx's and love em

RowJoe
01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I have that amp and I'm running it bridged to power my RSDs. For $70 shipped off woofersetc., they're not bad. I think the midrange can be quite harsh at times once you start to crank the volume up, though. I have my gains set on the nominal setting. Some stuff sounds pretty good, but a lot of my metal stuff doesn't sound good to me on the RSDs.

Save up for the CTX set if you won't be going active.

I made 3/4" MDF baffles, deadened and mostly sealed my doors for my install.

Towncar
01-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I had 2 sets of the rsd's...decided not use them since people were havin problems with tweets blowing

sooo instead I went and bought me the ctx's and love em

The tweets blowing issues are simply ca.com people overpowering them.;)

James Bang
01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
The tweets blowing issues are simply ca.com people overpowering them.;)

BLASPHEMY!

are you saying ca.com people don't know what they're doing?

Hoodlum007
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
I am using the CTX65 comps in one of my cars and they sound really good.

Towncar
01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
BLASPHEMY!

are you saying ca.com people don't know what they're doing?

ofcourse not :p:

I Like Waffle
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
i have the 5 1/4 PG comps in the front of my car and they sound amazing. Dont seem harsh or anything to me but maybe thats the way i have my EQ set. Theyre being a little overpowered at around 50rms (i think the rating is 45 but not sure) but they handle it and still sound great. I can almost crank them wide open on the HU with no distortion :) Id def go with those since youre on a budget. They get loud and stay clear the whole time.

shaneb
01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
i have the 5 1/4 PG comps in the front of my car and they sound amazing. Dont seem harsh or anything to me but maybe thats the way i have my EQ set. Theyre being a little overpowered at around 50rms (i think the rating is 45 but not sure) but they handle it and still sound great. I can almost crank them wide open on the HU with no distortion :) Id def go with those since youre on a budget. They get loud and stay clear the whole time.

But I can over power mine with 250 wattsrms and my ctx's will handle it all day long :D

RowJoe
01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
I lowered my gains and that tamed the mids quite a bit. They sound decent but don't get as loud as I'd like. =/ Can't wait for my tax return. =D

Oh yeah, I have my EQ set on flat. I've tried cutting the mids and highs with my HU, but it always ends up sounding funky to me. I'm using the passive crossovers. I think if I was able to go active, I could carefully set my gains a bit higher and make the appropriate cuts. Hmm, I dunno...

RowJoe
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Yesterday, I tried sending them about 50 watts to see if that would help them sound better to me. It kinda did tame the midrange, but they sounded much less dynamic and lively. I went right back to bridging my amp and put the gain back on nominal. The extra power really helps brings these speakers to life. On my HU, I cut the mids a bit and changed the mid xover from 1K to 2K and wow they sound so much better. I'll be happy for a while.

mlstrass
01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
My new fav super budget comp is the Powerbass S-C6 set from millionbuy for $36. Installed a set last week off a Profile amp and it was surprisingly good sounding. Tweets weren't harsh at all and midbass had some solid punch to it. They also got louder then expected with a pretty full sound. Only played with them for about 45 minutes before the kid picked up the car, but I had a chance to play several rock/metal and a few rap songs. Didn't hear anything bad about them on everything I played.

I've heard stuff that costs 2-3 times as much that sounded much worse. I did comps front/coax's back and they easily kept up with his 2 ported 12's.

These could be the new ultra budget kings...

RowJoe
01-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm gonna have to order a set of those when I get paid. =D