PDA

View Full Version : 3 - Way Component sets

C3 Customs
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Who runs them & how do you like them? Also are you running them with active or passive?

This is for those who have built them themselves from scratch and those that have bought/used a 3-way component set in their vehicle. Let me know your thoughts.

Etac
01-11-2009, 03:20 PM
check my sig for what im running...
if i had to do it over i would make some small changes but considering i paid about 225 for my whole front stage i couldnt be happier.. and are still way better than any premade set i've made... i did put alot of tuning into it tho

it is a very true statement that a badly installed 3 way will sound worse than a normal 2 way... but... if done correctly.. sounds great and gives you so much more flexability..

right now my midbass is active and midrange/tweeter passive but im going all active soon

really wishi could of fit an 8 in my door =\
one day

C3 Customs
01-11-2009, 03:36 PM
So if you could do 8" would you do 8/6.5/3

Etac
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
the dual 3's get loud enough... actually one would prolly get loud enough for most ppl i just did it for thermal/power/resistance reasons really... but it also all depends on how much room you got and the driver itself..

see i like having everything in the kicks.. mostly on-axis... i couldnt fit a 4-6 without leg room ebcoming an issue but i could fit two 3's stacked pretty easily

FoxPro5
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Benefit of a smaller MR is better off-axis response and upper extension sans beaming. IIRC, a 3" begins to beam at 5k or so. Plus, to maximize path lengths a smaller MR is easier to fit and is not such a cumbersome intrusion in the kick panels.

lyttleviet
01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Both my friend and I are running 3 way component sets passive. One 8" and one 6.5".

I can say a couple obvious things. If you set them up right, they are more detailed and offer more midbass. If you set them up wrong, they sound like poo compared to a nice 2-way setup.

James Bang
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Benefit of a smaller MR is better off-axis response and upper extension sans beaming. IIRC, a 3" begins to beam at 5k or so. Plus, to maximize path lengths a smaller MR is easier to fit and is not such a cumbersome intrusion in the kick panels.

WHEW! zoomed right over so many heads.

C3 Customs
01-12-2009, 05:07 AM
Has anyone ever seen a 3-way comp set installed in an a-pillar?

cbrei1023
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Has anyone ever seen a 3-way comp set installed in an a-pillar?

Ive been thinking about doing a 3-way in the a-pillar when i get a job again. Hopefully soon.

Wanted to do a 3" and maybe a 1" or 3/4" tweeter in the a pillars

With a good 6.5" or 8" in the doors.

mcsoul
03-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Someone needs to post a chart for future reference :veryhapp:

I would love to know what each one of these beams at as a midrange.

3", 4", 5.25", 6", 6.5", 7", 8"

James Bang
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
the bigger the midrange, the earlier it'll start to lazer beam.

the force is with you.