PDA

View Full Version : Old School versus New School

D1g1tal V3n0m
01-09-2009, 03:55 AM
So I currently have a Clarion HX-D10 and am debating on wether I should upgrade to the 880, 7200 MKII or the 9887. I'm concerned with CD performance only as all my music is stored in FLAC format if it is not already on CD. My musical taste for reference is literally every type of music.

Why the debate in upgrade? I'm thinking of upgrading my front stage to a 7" Mid and a tweeter. Crossover point would probably be around 2.5Khz.

Would I get the same CD quality or better from the newer units? Am I better off going with a Passive X-Over then the active in the HUs? I do not ever plan on going to a 3 way Component set up. I am only concerned with the SQ and adjustments on SQ of the HU.

Yes I know this is subjective and that audio is also a realm of diminishing returns but I would like opinions as I have 0 experience with the new HUs.

My current set up is Clarion HX-D10, Soundstream Rubicon 300.2 (Older version), Diamond Audio M651i (Older component set), JL 250/1 V1, and a 12" IDMAX V3 D2 in a 1.43 Cubic foot Sealed enclosure

Hopefully I've given enough info for you guys to help me with this.

As always I appreciate any help given.

Thanks,
Brandon

headless
01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you have problems with your CD performance now?

How do you play your flac's in the car?

D1g1tal V3n0m
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Do you have problems with your CD performance now?

How do you play your flac's in the car?

No problems with CD performance currently. I actually don't play FLAC in the vehicle as I just burn a CD in Audio CD format.

JimJ
01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Am I better off going with a Passive X-Over then the active in the HUs?

No.

You'd need another two channels of amplification, but the results are well worth it :)

havieri23
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
i have used both the hx-d10 with a dph-910 processor, and now am using the cd7200. i used to have the p880prs also. i definitely heard a difference in sq when "upgrading" but really hate the looks of the cd 7200, and it bein so clunky looking. there's alot more options with the newer decks, but i don't think the quality build is the same as old school stuff. i have a sony c90, and rfx 8250 sitting in the closet once i'm done fooling around with the eclipse.

headless
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
No problems with CD performance currently. I actually don't play FLAC in the vehicle as I just burn a CD in Audio CD format.

Check out the riocar empeg. It plays ogg, and flac. ****** device; can take 2 laptop harddrives so you can concievably have hundreds of gigs of lossless audio, indexed and able to be added to playlists on the fly in the car.

vellocet
01-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm going to check out that riocar. My 80 gig ipod has about 60 gigs of music on it. Need to clean it up, delete some crap, get rid of the crap rips, and replace them with good ones. But once thats done and I'm out of space I'm going to have to look into other options.

D1g1tal V3n0m
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
No.

You'd need another two channels of amplification, but the results are well worth it :)

I've thought of running a Arc ks 900.6 to take care of my entire system so the extra amplification would not be a issue. I just can't imagine it being a huge difference between Active and passive provided I build the X-over for the passive myself.

Would this hold true?

Check out the riocar empeg. It plays ogg, and flac. ****** device; can take 2 laptop harddrives so you can concievably have hundreds of gigs of lossless audio, indexed and able to be added to playlists on the fly in the car.

I'm not big on the Riocar personally but thanks for the mention.

headless
01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, you lose a bit of power into a passive x-over, but i am also of the opinion that going active isn't all that and a bag o chips, if you don't have the know-how and equipment to tune the snot out of it. A well designed passive x-over from the company that produces the drivers can do a lot of tweaking for you.