PDA

View Full Version : alpine spx pro install ?

boardroomjimmy
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
So I'm getting ready to install my new 17 pros into my test boxes and realize that there is no designation between pos. and neg. on the tweeters. Is the "striped" lead usually + or - ? Manual says nothing.

mattldm
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm interested in how these sound! I am somewhat considering trying a pair of these speakers in my truck but I havent been able to find any first hand experience or professional reviews of them.

doesn't matter as long as you wire them both the same right?

pjhabit
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
nice sounding comps :thumbsup:

striped is usually negative

boardroomjimmy
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Thats funny.. in another post in the correct forum (wiring) there was a responce on someone elses same inquiry. " striped is usually positive" . Thanks, I'll call up tech support and ask them. From the way the crappy manual reads, the modules in the x-overs may change polarity between the different mods. For once, I wish the **** manual was better, usually it's the first thing in the trash. I'll post my opinion on them when I get them in. Also swapping out sub. and amps, Bigger = Better.

ado
01-10-2009, 02:04 AM
I used the striped as negative. They sound great in my truck. I have them on two channels of a zx650.4. The mids are really impressive and the tweets aren't far behind. If you run them passive, the crossovers are really easy to adjust getting everything to sound right. I agree the directions do lack in a lot of areas, but good product!

pjhabit
01-10-2009, 02:14 AM
If its red its probably positive, if its black its probably negative. But the only way to know for sure is w/ a wiring diagram. I've heard you can use a 9v battery to figure it out but idk.
You'll probably want to experiment w/ the phase relations anyway. So just hook em' up & see what sounds best.

mlstrass
01-10-2009, 01:26 PM
have it written down at home and I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure the striped wire is POS for the tweets. Honestly you can reverse polarity and will probable NEVER know the diff.

VERY nice sounding tweets IMO, but I've never heard the Pro mids...

FoxPro5
01-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Yep, use even a AAA battery to test polarity. Correct polarity = cone moving out.

FoxPro5
01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Honestly you can reverse polarity and will probable NEVER know the diff.

Wait a second, it depends on where the tweeter and mid are mounted in relation to each other. Never is a pretty bold statement.

mlstrass
01-10-2009, 01:37 PM
well I was "assuming" the passive xover crosses them pretty high, so he'd probably never hear the diff

mlstrass
01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Yep, use even a AAA battery to test polarity. Correct polarity = cone moving out.

can you really see excursion on a tweeter :confused:

WhoSayWho?
01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Wait a second, it depends on where the tweeter and mid are mounted in relation to each other. Never is a pretty bold statement.

mlstrass is bold man.

squeak9798
01-10-2009, 02:07 PM
well I was "assuming" the passive xover crosses them pretty high, so he'd probably never hear the diff

Even if there were a highish crossover point (which I doubt they are crossed over very high, most likely 3.5Khz or less), it could still cause a large dip at the crossover frequency, etc.

FoxPro5
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
can you really see excursion on a tweeter :confused:

Absolutely you can, try it with a AAA and you'll see it pop out or **** back.

mlstrass
01-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Absolutely you can, try it with a AAA and you'll see it pop out or **** back.

Good to know as I thought that was only for mids/subs...

mlstrass
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Even if there were a highish crossover point (which I doubt they are crossed over very high, most likely 3.5Khz or less), it could still cause a large dip at the crossover frequency, etc.

Dip on an RTA or something you'd actually be able to hear? I ask because I've changed phase on a few set ups and changing the tweets never made any audible difference.

Changing on the mids has netted audible/positive results though...

mlstrass
01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
mlstrass is bold man.

Yes I am thanks to Bullseye and it's Big, BOLD taste :D

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/bulls_eye_logo.jpg

boardroomjimmy
01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
So, do we have a verdict yet? I think striped is pos, neg, or it doesn't matter. I've done the batt. test many times on mids and woofers, that nice new tweeter is a little scary though. I appreciate all the responces, I still think I'll call Alpine tech support to see what they say. I also want clarification on the tweeter polarity in phase/out of phase on the different x-over modules. I think "it doesn't matter" is gonna win out, because I think the modules set the polarity. Thanks all.

FoxPro5
01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
So, do we have a verdict yet? I think striped is pos, neg, or it doesn't matter. I've done the batt. test many times on mids and woofers, that nice new tweeter is a little scary though. I appreciate all the responces, I still think I'll call Alpine tech support to see what they say. I also want clarification on the tweeter polarity in phase/out of phase on the different x-over modules. I think "it doesn't matter" is gonna win out, because I think the modules set the polarity. Thanks all.

It probably doesn't matter if the tweeter and mid are kept next to each other or mounted coaxial-style. Or at least a 180* flip will not be readily obvious.

AAA battery is 1.5v, why is that scary? How much voltage does a 50w amp throw at it, for example? :cool:

Yep, I'd say the xover sets the relative polarity as that's one of the functions of it.

19992wdtaco
01-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Maybe check the box they came in. Not sure about the type X but my type R's
had templates on the back of the box that you use to make 6.5" baffles or something and it had the wiring diagram on how to connect them and also which wire is which for the tweeter.

boardroomjimmy
01-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Allright, time to put this one to bed..... striped to pos. on batt moves tweet cone out, neg moves it in. done. I mounted them in the same boxes I built for my pioneer 720's (tst boxes) and I can already tell these are gonna rock hard. For me, these are a much better pair of comps. They sound so much better than the pioneers. I remember when I first listened to the pioneers in these enclosures I was a bit underwhelmed. The alpines sound fantastic, they are gonna f'n scream in the car. I'm really happy with them. I'm also going from a 8" L7 with 300w to a 10" L7 powered by a 600.1 pdx. Now all I need is 3 days off for install and setup.