PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOSH... second set of Seas Tweets blown...

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
WTH... Ok... I had a pair of Seas Tweets 27TAFNC/G, a button on my amp that sent low freqs to all speakers was pressed when I hooked up the first set and they blew, obviously lol..

Well, the second set ran fine for months by setting the gain by ear.. well, I went to adjust them with the DMM, and I had a CD with a 7khz tone that lasted 15 seconds playing.. well, I was turning the gain up (trying to set the voltage to 18.7 which is 88 watts on 4 ohm speakers) and they stopped playing. They won't even make noise, the old pair I had made noise but they sounded TERRIBLE like they were farting because they were blown, but the new set just STOPPED now..

WTH?! How did these blow? They were crossed at 3.2khz at 12db/oct and played fine!!!! The only thing I could think of was when the 15sec tone would start over it would pop, but that was NOT when the tweeters stopped, it was while I was turning gain up in the middle of the tone!!

AHH!!! I ordered my third pair..

ADVICE PLEASE!!

Trevor

EDIT:: Forgot this, but while I was turning the gain up (dunno if it was before or after they stopped, because I thought it was just my earplugged ears messing with me when they stopped so I kept adjusting) in SUPER small increments it jumped from 18.0ish to 19.5 or 20 so I turned it back down real quick, but even then, assuming that SOMEHOW blew them, that's only like 90-105 watts and these can handle 220 WATT BURPS.. wtf..

eharri3
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
please delete

eharri3
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
WTH... Ok... I had a pair of Seas Tweets 27TAFNC/G, a button on my amp that sent low freqs to all speakers was pressed when I hooked up the first set and they blew, obviously lol..

Well, the second set ran fine for months by setting the gain by ear.. well, I went to adjust them with the DMM, and I had a CD with a 7khz tone that lasted 15 seconds playing.. well, I was turning the gain up (trying to set the voltage to 18.7 which is 88 watts on 4 ohm speakers) and they stopped playing. They won't even make noise, the old pair I had made noise but they sounded TERRIBLE like they were farting because they were blown, but the new set just STOPPED now..

WTH?! How did these blow? They were crossed at 3.2khz at 12db/oct and played fine!!!! The only thing I could think of was when the 15sec tone would start over it would pop, but that was NOT when the tweeters stopped, it was while I was turning gain up in the middle of the tone!!

AHH!!! I ordered my third pair..

ADVICE PLEASE!!

Trevor

EDIT:: Forgot this, but while I was turning the gain up (dunno if it was before or after they stopped, because I thought it was just my earplugged ears messing with me when they stopped so I kept adjusting) in SUPER small increments it jumped from 18.0ish to 19.5 or 20 so I turned it back down real quick, but even then, assuming that SOMEHOW blew them, that's only like 90-105 watts and these can handle 220 WATT BURPS.. wtf..

You caused mechanical damage to the first set, thermal damage to this new set.

You did probably one of the two most abusive things you can do to a speaker. It's not the first time I or others on here have heard of this happening. Next time leave them unhooked or use resistors. Sending a flat, amplified, max volume test tone to your speakers for more than a second or two will fry them in short order. Other people here have done it. I almost did it with my last set of components when I didn't really know what I was doing and I read on some retard's tutorial on the net that it's fine to just play flat 0db tones at max volume and listen for the audible tone change to set gains. Luckily I stopped right when they started to stink and they cooled off then played fine for 3 years before I upgraded.

If you're getting warranty replacements you are the kind of customer I would hate.

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 05:48 PM
So what do I do, buy 4 ohm resistors and connect them to the speaker wire?

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
It's not the first time I or others on hear have heard of this happening.

You have like 200 posts... unless this is a new account I wouldn't act like a guru hoss...

But thanks for the advice...

Any others?

eharri3
01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry for the double post my computer's acting up and I didn't think the first one took so I rewrote it. Ive been getting into this and learning as Ive gone for about 6 years now. I am not an expert and I recognize what I know or understand and what I have yet to learn. Anyone will tell you, I've posted my share of 'newbie-ish' questions on here.

This is advice coming from a guy who has never ever ever blown a speaker or damaged any of my other equipment in six years, and have never had to replace anything due to user error, going to a guy who just blew two pairs of tweets and doesn't seem to understand why the second time is also his fault. Take it for what its worth or ignore it and keep replacing tweeters. I don't really care.

In all honesty I don't bother with resistors, I set gains with speakers unhooked and as long as everything sounds fine I don't worry about it. So far at least on my mid/high amp with the dmm method and speakers unhooked the gain dial always ends up at the marking for the voltage output for my Alpine HU indicating I can't be that far off.

groundpound4200
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
you burped your tweeter:laugh::crazy:

Loud3
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
You have like 200 posts... unless this is a new account I wouldn't act like a guru hoss...

But thanks for the advice...

Any others?

Post count doesn't mean much on the internet, buddy.

What he said was 100% true, and with the attitude you seem to possess, you're the kind of customer that I would hate, as well.

:fyi:

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Guys chill lol..

eharri3 I didn't mean to come off as rude lol it was more of a playful joke than anything that's why I said hoss..out of habit, sorry haha.. and that's why I said thanks for the advice...

Anyways, I'm not a bad customer by any means, I have bought three sets of the same product so I'm obviously a good enough customer to realize it's my fault and not to blame it on SEAS' construction or anything..

So wait, how would it read the correct voltage though if no speakers were connected (no ohm load I mean..), and is there any other way to do this? I was told by multiple people on the forums to do it exactly like this, I'm not an idiot..

eharri3
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Well you should out whoever told you to play those tones through your tweeters. In all honesty I don't know the difference between measurements with resistance or no resistance. I have heard everything ranging from it being a big difference to a negligible one to nonexistent depending on the design of the amp. Never seen actual comparisons of one vs. the other. Maybe you could try an experiment: Do it with the speakers unhooked, with and without resistors, and see what you get. I believe gain tutorial on this site says to unhook the speakers and makes no mention of resistors.

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 06:13 PM
So far at least on my mid/high amp with the dmm method and speakers unhooked the gain dial always ends up at the marking for the voltage output for my Alpine HU indicating I can't be that far off.

And can you explain this a little more, I'm a bit confused, sorry lol...

audiolife
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Volume master!!!!!

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Volume master!!!!!

Huh? You guys are confusing the heck out of me lol I think I'm retarded...

mcsoul
01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
you burped your tweeter:laugh::crazy:

:hilariou::rotflol::hilariou:

I'm sorry, that was funny!

eharri3
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
And can you explain this a little more, I'm a bit confused, sorry lol...

Your amp should be set up to deliver its max performance when your head unit is making its maximum undistorted voltage output. Theoretically if you have a 4 volt head unit you should be able to turn your amp's input sensitivity dial to 4 volts and be done with it. In reality the amp being under/over rated and the head unit being under/over rated along with issues of gain overlap and power overhead mean going by the numbers on the dial is never an ideal way to set gains. But My Alpine HU is 4 volts. When I set using the DMM method the gain dial ends up at exactly 4 volts. The sub amp is a different matter though as I believe my sub pre outs, like on some other ALpine HUs, may not be putting out anything closed to the advertised rating so my gains ended up at about 1-1.5 volts.

audiolife
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I think people should hide their remotes and volume controls from you!

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
By the way, I have a CD-9887 and I have been setting it with the volume on 20 because I heard it clips past that, what volume should I have the HU on when setting it? Because I assume I still need to leave some headroom and not put it on max volume..

eharri3
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
When I messed with tones on my 9883 it audibly distorted at 30 out of 35, but sounded clean to my ears using tones up to 29. I set everything at 27 out of 35 on the theory that if it distorted audibly at 30 the clipping probably started slightly before that. It gets everything as loud as I need it. Many people use specific test tone attentuation levels to get their desired overlap.

In my opinion 20 is WAAAAY too low unless you're absolutely sure you will never want it higher than that. I think youre HU has more left in it before it gives out. But keep in mind I'm sending a little more than RMS to my front components and they're sensitive speakers, and my sub is overpowered by 20% so this works for me and things get as loud as I need them to a t 24-25 with a few clicks left on the volume dial.

groundpound4200
01-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I go to 25 on my 9887

mk_
01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Make sure your speaks aren't connected when setting gains. Whoever said you burped your tweets was right and that's why they don't work anymore.

These tweeters are really nice once you get they set up properly :)

scoob8000
01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
You did probably one of the two most abusive things you can do to a speaker. It's not the first time I or others on here have heard of this happening. Next time leave them unhooked or use resistors. Sending a flat, amplified, max volume test tone to your speakers for more than a second or two will fry them in short order.

When did the OP say he had anything at max volume? (At least regarding this second set).

Worst case, he may of hit their peak levels for a second or two. Shouldn't damage a quality product.

The only thing I can figure is his amp was clipping or otherwise sending something the tweets didn't like. Or possibly a defective product.

OP, did both tweets die simultaneously? Disconnect them and throw another set of speakers on those amp outputs. Just for giggles..

TurdFergueson2
01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Did you hot glue them first? I would suggest doing that before you hook them up. That little metal tab with that one strand of wire is exposed and delicate as hell.
Try that if you haven't.

eharri3
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
When did the OP say he had anything at max volume? (At least regarding this second set).

Worst case, he may of hit their peak levels for a second or two. Shouldn't damage a quality product.

The only thing I can figure is his amp was clipping or otherwise sending something the tweets didn't like. Or possibly a defective product.

OP, did both tweets die simultaneously? Disconnect them and throw another set of speakers on those amp outputs. Just for giggles..

HE fried them, plain and simple. Speakers simply are not designed for that.

donpisto
01-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Bupring tweeters, now that's a first. Maybe you sould have someone that knows what they are doing to set the gains for your tweeters and adjust your crossover points and slopes, that way nothing will go wrong.

FoxPro5
01-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Stop using the "DMM method" and stop adding gain to tweeters. Everyone, right now....I command you...JUST STOP!!!!!!

eharri3
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
The DMM method has consistently given me a very clean high volume sound and a linnear rise in volume for all my stuff. O-scope is best but most people won't bother. By ear is great if you know what to listen for but most people don't and fail miserably at this method using dynamic music.

A DMM is cheap, useful for other purposes, and gives a good solid starting point for educated adjustments. I've been to a bunch of different shops that do it by ear, when I re-work with the DMM the results are always more satisfcatory to me.

People quibble too much about gain-setting technique sometimes. The more important thing is are we being logical about it and using some sort of sensible technique and method or are we just cranking till its loud enough and then throwing in boosts at the amp and head unit to make it 'better'.

FoxPro5
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Here's a thought, try LOWERING the gain on all the other drivers if your tweeters aren't loud enough for you. Or, buy more power....it's cheap! Then use your DMM to match output levels, not to set your gains...it's simply wrong.

Phlipbak
01-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Bupring tweeters, now that's a first. Maybe you sould have someone that knows what they are doing to set the gains for your tweeters and adjust your crossover points and slopes, that way nothing will go wrong.

Guys, I didn't really BURP the tweeters lol that was NOT my intentions, the gain knob was just super sensitive and I budged it..

IDSkoT
01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
You caused mechanical damage to the first set, thermal damage to this new set.

You did probably one of the two most abusive things you can do to a speaker. It's not the first time I or others on here have heard of this happening. Next time leave them unhooked or use resistors. Sending a flat, amplified, max volume test tone to your speakers for more than a second or two will fry them in short order. Other people here have done it. I almost did it with my last set of components when I didn't really know what I was doing and I read on some retard's tutorial on the net that it's fine to just play flat 0db tones at max volume and listen for the audible tone change to set gains. Luckily I stopped right when they started to stink and they cooled off then played fine for 3 years before I upgraded.

If you're getting warranty replacements you are the kind of customer I would hate.

x2

But you don't really need resistors.

James Bang
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
9887 clipping at vol 20/35???? wtf..

buy more, blow more. it's good for the economy.

James Bang
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
just set gains by ear...

Megalomaniac
01-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Settings Gains Without an Golden Ear (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-tutorials/51435-setting-gains-w-o-oscilloscope.html)

Blue Fury
01-09-2009, 11:28 PM
you set your gains with the speakers hooked in...

You have nice equipment but you treat it like **** dude! Read up on this stuff before intalling

mlstrass
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
do you really think those tweets needed/wanted almost 90watts to get loud? I ran a set for a few days and around 45watts each was MORE then enough to get them loud enough to blend with my mids...