PDA

View Full Version : 4" comps in the a-pillar

C3 Customs
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Is anyone running that in the a-pillar or is 5.25" the new standard in the a-pillar? Let me know your thoughts/opinions?

Phlipbak
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
This is kind of different but SteveMeadeDesigns.com would be a cool place to check out because he is running RE XXX 6.5" comps in his pillars lol, so it's definitely possible and he has 23k watts of bass and has won SQ awards, so he would definitely be one to ask if they sound good in the pillars or not, good luck

FoxPro5
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a path length and localization nightmare to me.

Etac
01-08-2009, 08:33 PM

x2

C3 Customs
01-09-2009, 01:03 AM

Would you have those issues in a sub-compact vehicle - Yaris, Aveo, versa, etc...?

FoxPro5
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Would you have those issues in a sub-compact vehicle - Yaris, Aveo, versa, etc...?

Even more so, I would think. But I suppose it depends on where you cross that mid. Plenty of guys use 3-4" mids up high and do very well, but once you're up to 5"+ and down below 200hz, then I'd think that would be a more difficult challenge as far as localization and resonance is concerned. But I cannot say for sure as I've never personally tried it.

Etac
01-09-2009, 07:29 PM
im sure you can get up high installations to sound great, but i also think it would require alot more tuning than normal

Adnan
01-09-2009, 07:58 PM
i wouldnt go anymore then 4" meade style :P

C3 Customs
01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
i wouldnt go anymore then 4" meade style :P

What do you mean by this?

squeak9798
01-10-2009, 01:12 PM
This is kind of different but SteveMeadeDesigns.com would be a cool place to check out because he is running RE XXX 6.5" comps in his pillars lol, so it's definitely possible and he has 23k watts of bass and has won SQ awards, so he would definitely be one to ask if they sound good in the pillars or not, good luck

I would not seek any sort of sound quality advise from SMD. I've yet to see anything he's done that demonstrates he has remote knowledge of acoustics, accuracy or how to achieve such.

OP: If you plan on doing this, you better have time alignment. PLD as Fox mentioned.

Etac
01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
dual channel eq's wouldnt hurt either
and after everything is tuned... i would feel bad for the passenger lol

Adnan
01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
What do you mean by this?
it wouldnt sound or look right to have anything over 4" on your pillars
the way i see it....it would sound best at the doors since there is more of a box effect it would sound better

C3 Customs
01-11-2009, 10:19 AM

So why not Mark Eldgride, would he not be a better choice?

RAM_Designs
01-11-2009, 10:23 AM

:nono::banghead::thumbsdo::slap: