PDA

View Full Version : JVC Arsenal KD-AR8500

boom24
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
just trying to find out if anyone has this deck and has any opions on t i can get one brand new for 200 i saw that it has 5v pre amps iam not sure if that really what it does and its got a bunch of good extras with it ipod hd radio and some other bs just trying to find out what u guys think

sundownz
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I had one before and I liked it.

Louisiana_CRX
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
they are pretty nice decks

na_rsx
01-07-2009, 01:17 PM
werd, sonicelectronix has it for 200 shipped with ipod adapter, thinking about getting it, anyone want my 780mp?

Louisiana_CRX
01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
werd, sonicelectronix has it for 200 shipped with ipod adapter, thinking about getting it, anyone want my 780mp?

i'll take it if your giving it away....:cool:

na_rsx
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
i'll take it if your giving it away....:cool:

i aint dat crazy

boom24
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
ya thats were i was gunna get it from sonicelectronics,i think its def worth the money but in the past alls ive used is alpine and pioneer and 1 jvc wich was the biggest pos none to man well i just ordered it ill post some reviwes of it after i have it for a lil bit and let u guys know how it is

boom24
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
ya thats were i was gunna get it from sonicelectronics,i think its def worth the money but in the past alls ive used is alpine and pioneer and 1 jvc wich was the biggest pos none to man well i just ordered it ill post some reviwes of it after i have it for a lil bit and let u guys know how it is

na_rsx
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
sweet, yeah let me know, want to see if its worth it over my 780MP in terms of power and features

na_rsx
01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
bump, so is this worth it over the 780MP?

Louisiana_CRX
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
if you want a new deck it would be worth it...if you like what you have ....just keep what you have.....you already have a nice deck...

na_rsx
01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
yeah i know, but this has the ipod adapater, and i am sure it will charge the ipod while i play it. my 780mp, i have the cb adapter, and it does not charge it which *****. and my settings are pretty simple, 80hz on the compsm 80hz on the sub, nothing up or down. also it has time alignment, which i pretty much wont use.

**** this ***** :(

MoldySpore
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Weird. I have been looking for a current review on this deck for a long time now. This post is only a day old and it was already on page 2 of google searches for "KD-AR8500".

I ordered a KD-AR8500 from Sonic last week. Got it yesterday. I'm waiting to put it in, though, so I get the wiring right (wiring for my '97 Camry XLE is a bit screwed up because I was running my 6x9's through the stock amp that comes with the XLE sound system so the stock plugs were cut off many years ago...multimeter and wire tracing here I come!!!).

I chose this deck to replace a deck that was destroyed during my car getting broken into about 6 months ago. They ripped my whole system out of my trunk (Subs, amp, cables snapped off and shorted out, etc). This must have toasted the preamps for the subs on my old deck (an old MP3 JVC deck I had since 2003).

As for the quality of JVC HU's, while it seems many on forums around the net have a poor opinion of JVC, my previous JVC deck out lasted all of my friends decks. The only thing that killed it required someone breaking into my car and shorting the deck out. 5 (almost 6) years for any HU is really good, especially since it was on all the time from day 1.

I chose the KD-AR8500 because it seemed to be a logical step up from my last HU. It has SD capability, SIRIUS ready, has iPod controls (although I will never use an iPod) and has a really nice built-in EQ and 5V preamps. Also, the 39W x 4 (RMS) amp built in is more powerful than the amp that came with my XLE's original sound system for powering my door 5-1/4" speakers as well as my 6"x9"'s (all aftermarket 130/230w max pioneers).

When I get it installed (next week sometime when I'm not so busy) I will make sure to post some install pics as well as a small review.

Looking around a bit, the MSRP on this deck was like $500 or $600 when it first came out in late 2005/early 2006. Although the screen isn't as flashy, the only thing that is missing from this deck seems to be DVD-R/RW support and a video out ($300 decks on SonicElectronix have DVD but that is too much $$$ for me).

na_rsx
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
thanks for the review, yeah on the reviews i heard its an awesome deck, puts out more power than most units. **** it, i am going to get it, time to put the 780mp on sale lol

na_rsx
01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
found jvc website product specs, this sealed the deal, time to get it lol

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027433&pathId=130&page=2&archive=true

bigbangtheory
01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Good to hear some good feeback on this deck. Haven't seen much online or here.

I like trying new decks and this may be the next one for me since I can't afford the navi unit I want anymore with the new baby on it's way. Seems like it has some really nice features and I am really considering it for sure.

Hopefully the OP chimes in after he installs it for even further review.

na_rsx
01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Good to hear some good feeback on this deck. Haven't seen much online or here.

I like trying new decks and this may be the next one for me since I can't afford the navi unit I want anymore with the new baby on it's way. Seems like it has some really nice features and I am really considering it for sure.

Hopefully the OP chimes in after he installs it for even further review.
werd, i am the same way, got a baby on the way too so cant really spend money. but i am ordering as soon as i sell my 780mp, with ipod adapter, which should sell quickly.

MoldySpore
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
found jvc website product specs, this sealed the deal, time to get it lol

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027433&pathId=130&page=2&archive=true

Here is the original press release detailing the features and the differences between the decks released the same year as the AR8500. This is also where I got the MSRP for the deck from.

MSRP for the KD-AR8500 was $699.95. Crazy.

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=432&pageID=2&CategoryID=4

na_rsx
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
yeah saw that too, its also a factor that sold me. now just trying to sell my 780MP, but no one is biting :(

na_rsx
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
bump for reviews

MoldySpore
01-19-2009, 03:55 AM
Ok, so my install went very smooth once I traced all the wires and figured out what was what.

I have to say, this deck is AMAZING. The screen is bright and colorful, and despite what other reviews say the PICT software isn't hard to use, and works like a charm as long as you create images for it at the correct size. I already have all my logos and images on there that I want.

As for sound quality, this deck is crazy. It made all my speakers sound better. No distortion now at all from any speakers. The customization that this deck allows is crazy. It has a built in Crossover function which allows you to specify high and low frequency cutoffs for every speaker in the car, virtually eliminating distortion. Even without crossover enabled, the 9-band equalizer is EXTREMELY easy to use and tweakable to get just the right amount of low mid and high.

My subs sound amazing thanks to this deck and the 5V gold outs. Bass is tight and crystal clear. Even radio stations come in better and sound fuller on this deck, including AM sports stations such as WFAN (if you live in NY you know all about the FAN!) and this deck doesn't even have HD Radio. Subwoofer control is amazing, including slope and frequency settings, as well as a separate volume control just for the subs.

The deck also has BBE built into it, which helps reproduce sound the way it was supposed to, getting the lows and highs to your ears at the same time and enhancing the quality of most track (doesn't effect radio quality though, from what I can tell).

MP3/WMA support is nice, and it has a multitude of display options including full track name, album name, and artist info. When scanning through an MP3 CD, it seemed much faster than my old deck at starting playback, with much shorter pauses between songs to load the MP3. The Menu is very easy to navigate and once you cruise through it a few times it becomes second nature. It also remembers the last sub menu you go into, so the next time you go to the menu, it will be on your last menu by default. Great when you are changing images or wallpapers and want to just take a quick look.

SD Card playback is flawless and fast. Despite the deck's manual saying it only supports up to a 512MB card, I currently have a 1GB one in there, and it is full to capacity, and the deck recognizes all folders and files. I will be trying larger capacity ones as soon as i buy a few. This feature, in my mind, really seals the deal.

Other cool features include many different sound effects such as Hall and the likes which add different amounts of reverb and echo to make it sound like its being played inside a large theater or several other locations. A really cool function is the Voice Cancel effect, which does a decent job of removing the voice from tracks. Works especially well with Hip-Hop and R & B tracks.

Overall this is an amazing deck, and a STEAL @ < $200 from Sonic Electronics. They had fast shipping. Only thing is, they shipped my deck with a BLOWN FUSE. took me a few minutes to figure out why the deck wouldn't turn on right away!:crazy:

I will post pictures tomorrow or the next day, when it is bright outside and i can take a few decent shots!

gentlejax
01-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I had the same deck for a while...nice deck...only drawback which was little was the glossy face...I was always worried about fingerprints....found myself trying to keep it clean all the time...

other than that ...very loaded deck and now very cheap for what it is...I have seen them on ebay a tad cheaper....

I had 2 of them at different times...good decks....

na_rsx
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
sweet, thanks for the review man, i am definitely buying this!!

elminster
01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
this is an active capable deck, there is a review for it on diymobileaudio.....

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/6338-review-jvc-kd-ar8500-head-unit-1-year-impression.html

unfortunately its been a couple years so the pictures are not included anymore but you can get the idea

Slash8915
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Man, I really like this HU... Only thing is that I plan on getting Sirius soon, and don't want to have to shell out an extra $110 for the kit I would need with this...

na_rsx
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
meh, not into sirius, got any pics of this unit installed?

boom24
01-23-2009, 08:28 AM
i really like this deck the tuneabilty was well worth the power is grate sq is really good serpriseingly...the sd card is the way to go i dont own a ipod so it works grate for me,but i wana go back to a pioneer or alpine

na_rsx
01-26-2009, 09:34 AM
bump for pics and reviews

RowJoe
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Does this HU support USB devices other than the SD adapter?

na_rsx
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
not sure, but buy my 780MP :D

kberkel
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
wow never heard of this deck before

sounds amazing, I think I'm gonna buy it, that deal better last :D

na_rsx
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
wow never heard of this deck before

sounds amazing, I think I'm gonna buy it, that deal better last :D

its 2 years old, but very good imo, if not buy my pioneer 780MP :D with ipod adapter too

bigbangtheory
02-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Taxes coming soon.

Will be getting one with in the next few weeks. :)

na_rsx
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
crap still need to sell my pionner 780mp

bigbangtheory
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I hear ya mang. Are you asking too much for it? Surprised you still have it. Sometimes you have to take a hit to get rid of it. :(

na_rsx
02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
true, no one has made an offer for both or just the unit itself, i can part, no one asked either

na_rsx
02-24-2009, 09:33 AM
okay finally sold the head unit, just ordered the JVC, sometime this week I will have to go to my car and take out the radio, being stored for the winter FTW!!!

Prolly wont get it until Friday, and wont be installed till next week!!

kberkel
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
ordered mine over the weekend too :D

won't have a review until summer though. redoing all my fiberglass stuff so all my speakers will be out of the car until schools out :(

na_rsx
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
has yours shipped yet, i called and they said it was going to be shipped that same day, and I should receive it by friday but its still processing :(

cant wait to get it so i can do a killer review

kberkel
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Ordered it friday night and it shipped out Monday :)

na_rsx
02-26-2009, 08:36 AM
yeah mines shipped out yesterday, wont get it until the 3rd :(

thegreatestpenn
02-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I've had jvc decks almost exclusively since 2006 and they have all performed well. The one is question is great, but of the JVCs I'd prefer the kd-g820 or kd-ar880. Only thing is make sure that you have a nice thick power (yellow) wire of like 12ga. or it'll act funky. These decks **** alot of juice. I just wish my 880 had HPF, that and the remote are its only flaws. And they can be found on ebay for cheap usually.

na_rsx
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
yeah i paid 199 shipped for mines, with the ipod adapter! also got teh sqaure trade warranty, and if anything happens, i get my money back which is ftw!!!

this one comes with its own dc/dc converter, like a seperate power module, either way i cant wait to get it. gonna miss my 780mp, the screen was one of the best color ones.

FJF
02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm thinking about buying the JVC deck and I have some questions. I downloaded its owner's manual, but didn't see what I was looking for. I'd like to match its display to the car. Can the display colors be changed? Can the display be made to look very clean (no text) or turned off altogether? Thanks!

thegreatestpenn
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking about buying the JVC deck and I have some questions. I downloaded its owner's manual, but didn't see what I was looking for. I'd like to match its display to the car. Can the display colors be changed? Can the display be made to look very clean (no text) or turned off altogether? Thanks!

I believe it can be changed, like 6 different colors

na_rsx
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
i get mines tomorrow woot

na_rsx
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
ill post a review once installed, hopefully this week

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/box.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/case.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/face.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/base.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/cd.jpg

jco1385
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
very nice. i <3 my JVC

na_rsx
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
werd, i cant wait to install it, and i will do a video of it as well

jco1385
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
wtf is that cd? image converter for what?

hrm...

na_rsx
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
wtf is that cd? image converter for what?

hrm...

you can upload different backgrounds with the supplied SD card, just need to resize them to fit accordingly. so thats another thing i liked about this headunit :D

jco1385
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
well fck me... i dont think i can do that :crap:

na_rsx
03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
well fck me... i dont think i can do that :crap:

i'd watch what you post, bmxbikes might flood your pm box

dafobbishon3
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM

rofl. YES. bmxbikes = SPAM

kberkel
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
sick! I finally come home friday and get to open all the "presents" i bought while I was away at school :D

really excited about the ipod adaptor, and the million of other things this thing does. woot

na_rsx
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
hell yeah son, gonna do a video review with plenty of pics

jco1385
03-04-2009, 02:52 PM

good luck when the bish is already full

lol

FJF
03-04-2009, 03:00 PM
My deck was shipped yesterday, though I probably won't be able to install it until May/June. Na_rsx, if you shoot a video, would you mind running though the display config (colors, etc). I'd really appreciate it.

na_rsx
03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
good luck when the bish is already full

lol

he might be smart and email you :crap:

My deck was shipped yesterday, though I probably won't be able to install it until May/June. Na_rsx, if you shoot a video, would you mind running though the display config (colors, etc). I'd really appreciate it.

will do, since there is very little, if any information on this headunit, i want everything to be shown. i will miss my 780mp color screen, one of the best ones ever.

jco1385
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
i am superior to bmxfeg. i has no email listed :sneaky:

carry on

na_rsx
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
2 more days and i install it w00t

jco1385
03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
why the wait? you have it in hand...?

na_rsx
03-06-2009, 09:26 AM
cause my car is stored at my parents in the garage, my rsx does not get driven in the snow, let alone the rain (unless its unexpected, which always is in chicago). and i am picking it up tomorrow so i can install the radio.

JBLCAMRY
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
cause my car is stored at my parents in the garage, my rsx does not get driven in the snow, let alone the rain (unless its unexpected, which always is in chicago). and i am picking it up tomorrow so i can install the radio.

send me a PM when you get it in...

My brother is thinking of getting one for the GEO

na_rsx
03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
send me a PM when you get it in...

My brother is thinking of getting one for the GEO

will do mane, also its rumored to have active capabilities, but we will see

JBLCAMRY
03-06-2009, 10:48 AM
will do mane, also its rumored to have active capabilities, but we will see

if it is.............. then ill get one for myself. :laugh:

na_rsx
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
if it is.............. then ill get one for myself. :laugh:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5720848&postcount=24

bigbangtheory
03-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Any updates? I just got the 7500, which I still can't seem to find what the difference is between the two. I paid 120 BNIB off ebay for it, lol!

na_rsx
03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
okay first off this is one **** *** unit, the trim panel, face gives a true meaning to elegance and class.

also on the headunit chassis, was a note saying if i have a 3 way active something to activate it through teh headunit. so i am assuming this means i can run active, yippie ki yay mofos.

now the problem, everything installed, i fire up my car and it does not want to start, i guess not starting it in 2 weeks will do that. but the interior still turns in, meaning there is power and the headunit should turn on.

well nope, also with my radar detector connected to teh 12v/cig outlet, i turn on the car, well try and the radar is restarting itself, really weird. didnt spend much time trouble shooting it cause it was late and i was tired, so i need to figure it out.

maybe cause my battery is dead, or weak its causing these weird problems, then again i need to find out.

kberkel
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
hmm isn't that dc to dc converter there to ensure you're getting 12 volts or something? Maybe the headunit isn't getting enough. I always have my radar detector set to voltmeter anyways to always see what I'm getting from the battery.

i wired mine up real quick and it works like a charm!

I absolutely love the gloss black finish and it looks beautiful in the car.

Sorry I have no reviews yet.. I got it in and played with it for an hour and took it back out. I'm still in the middle of revamping my whole system and theres still tons of wiring and building to do.

good luck mang!

na_rsx
03-09-2009, 10:57 PM
yeah turns out my battery was really weak, and i reset the unit, once that it turned on and wow. i need to tweak it because it sounds nothing like my 780mp, songs dont sound the same, but then again i havent done anything.

need to set the crossovers, so tomorrow gonna go through the manual and see what i can do. but the looks is amazing, the screen is bright and clear, the menus are pretty tricky but like i said i just turned it on and set some presets.

but the look is amazing and i cant wait to start tweaking it.

JBLCAMRY
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
keep us updated.

bigbangtheory
03-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Look forward to some updates.

I can't wait to get mine in.........even though it is the 7500.

na_rsx
03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah was going through the manual, and i noticed i need to turn off the unit and activate the crossovers. It also mentions if i have a 3 way speaker network setup, so i guess that seals the deal of it being an active capable unit.

bigbangtheory
03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes it is, which is nice for it being so cheap. Actually not sure why they sell so cheap.

na_rsx
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes it is, which is nice for it being so cheap. Actually not sure why they sell so cheap.

maybe becaused its discontinued and 2 years old. i got the sqaure trade warranty so even if they cant do **** if anything ever happens, sqaure trade will refund me 100%

FJF
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Got mine yesterday. It really is a nice looking deck.

na_rsx
03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Here are some quick pics i took, and after fiddling more with the settings, i activate the crossovers, but it gave me a crap load of settings. pretty much all the tweaking i needed if i was running active, or was it. thats the thing, this radio is really high tech and i still cant figure out **** lol. all though i did notice if i turned up the level of the sub, my music sounded so much better. but for the fronts and rears, i cant set it to a specific hz. maybe someone who has this can chime in and let me know what i am doing wrong.

here are some quick pics, and uploading a video of the screen:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0706.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0715.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0707.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0708.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0709.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0712.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0713.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0714.jpg

na_rsx
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
video, its still being processed, so quality is meh right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAd1NM9d87w

bigbangtheory
03-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Looks fantastic in there. Can't wait to get mine in there. Maybe I should have went with the 8500, even though I still can't see the DC thing being of much cocern when I am using amps.

Plus I am not much of an active guy.

na_rsx
03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
me either, but it still does not sound good, well sub side. see when i turn up the volume, teh bass is there on certain notes, but its not filling if that makes sense. with the 780mp, it was all set, just had to crank it up and it got loud.

maybe there is something i am missing, or doing wrong, i just cant pin point it. dont get me wrong, its amazing unit, and with the crossovers activated, i can go with certain freq points and slopes, but with it off, i cant set the filters to 80hz or none of that.

RowJoe
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Set the filters on the amp instead?

bigbangtheory
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't know. I had a hard time setting **** up with my 880 PRS deck. Hope it isn't as hard as that one. :(

na_rsx
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Set the filters on the amp instead?

might have to, but how can i know what hz i am setting it to, i know its labeled, but not completely accurate

I don't know. I had a hard time setting **** up with my 880 PRS deck. Hope it isn't as hard as that one. :(

like i said, i can be doing something wrong, but i need guidance with someone that has this same unit.

bigbangtheory
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Not to be a ****, but have you tried the manual?

na_rsx
03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Not to be a ****, but have you tried the manual?

oh yeah, in a few of my posts i said it became a little clearer once i read the manual, but its only lets me adjust the crossovers if the 3 way network is activated, guess i am going to go active lol.

but the sub filter is set to 80hz, 16db slope, just like my pioneer and it does not sound the same. there both 5v rca outputs!!

gentlejax
03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
keep working on it...its a tricky deck to get used to but when you change some stuff it will sound better...

sorry I cant be specific as its been a while and I dont recall what I did.....

its a good deck..but sometimes being too complicated can be a bad thing....that is why I finally gave in and put in my ugly Clarion 785usb ....its pretty simple but yet can do pretty much everything if I want it too....but like I said its not that pretty(the Clarion)...but it sounds good....

keep trying...I know there was a lot of things I couldnt figure out at first..

bigbangtheory
03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Well it just may be the Pioneer have better pre-outs. Just because your Pioneer has the same pre-outs don't mean the JVC will sound the same. Might have to tweak it more is all.

I lost a lot of sound from my 880 to my el cheap deck in the Kenwood X-492 and that deck was still 4 volt pre-outs to my 5volt 880.

Man, I hope this deck don't sound like ish!

na_rsx
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
well gonna tweak it some more, and see what I can do to make it better, but i really like the headunit though.

bigbangtheory
03-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I loved my 880 too.

I ended up selling it to get something easier to use, lol!

:(

kberkel
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Got mine in today, i hated the way it sounded at first, but I had a three hour drive ahead of me so I had some time to tweak it.

The crossover helped a ton, the BBC filter or whatever it is sounded good at first but it made my highs way too harsh.

The parametric EQ is sweet too.. took a while but I got it figured out. :cool:

For me, the ipod capability is worth the $200 alone. I'll never use a cd again! The ipod interface was really easy to use as well.

The screen looks vibrant too. I can't wait to try out some new backgrounds and movies.

I'm just glad the **** thing works. I wired it last week.. and forgot to double-check my solders. Guess which one didn't get taped over? Of course the power wire. The entire car erupted in smoke and fried the power wire.

Made a 20 minute job 2 hours :(

casão
03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Can anybody describe HOW WELL does the iPod connection works?

Is it slow?

Does it have a limit in size for the iPod capacity?

Thanx!

kberkel
03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Wasn't slow at all IMO. It's very easy to scroll through the various menus ALL SONGS/PLAYLISTS/ARTISTS etc whatever you wanna do.

The interface isn't as good as it could be though. I've seen newer sony HU's where you can scroll through lists of songs like you can on the ipod.

You can only scroll next song, next song, and so on.. you don't have an overview of 5 or so songs at a time.

I usually have my ipod on random so it's no problem to me, I just click next song.

However, I didn't see if you can still control your ipod when it is plugged in. AFAIK the cd player takes total control.

I think it said no newer than 3g.. i never read anything about the size of the ipod.

bigbangtheory
03-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Meh, I didn't even get the iPod adaptor. I still enjoy my CD's over compressed music.

Nothing beats the SQ of a CD IMO. I rarely use my Nano.

casão
03-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Wasn't slow at all IMO. It's very easy to scroll through the various menus ALL SONGS/PLAYLISTS/ARTISTS etc whatever you wanna do.

The interface isn't as good as it could be though. I've seen newer sony HU's where you can scroll through lists of songs like you can on the ipod.

You can only scroll next song, next song, and so on.. you don't have an overview of 5 or so songs at a time.

I usually have my ipod on random so it's no problem to me, I just click next song.

However, I didn't see if you can still control your ipod when it is plugged in. AFAIK the cd player takes total control.

I think it said no newer than 3g.. i never read anything about the size of the ipod.

Thanx, man!

I was thinking about getting this baby, but still not sure about it.

O have an Alpine 9855 and a Clarion 785 (haven´t tested yet), but I´ve heard quite a few interesting things about this HU...

Random would work for me, but my iPod is newer...

LOSSLESS .WAV is the way to go!!!

Regards!

na_rsx
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
it wont work with the new ipods, i have a 4th gen and it wont charge. but still works, just hates when it dies in the middle :crap:

bigbangtheory
03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Have any better luck with this deck NA RSX?

I still have yet to put mine in, lol! Time........not something I have a lot of.

I post from work, lol!

na_rsx
03-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Well yesterday i played with it (wait....wat lol) and it does sound better. Like with the 780MP it was all the same, but with this, the music sounds cleaner. Maybe thats what i was used to, and this is a true sound quality head unit!!

I need to do some videos of with it full blast to see if its just me or what lol

bigbangtheory
03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Will be hard to tell how well it sounds over the Internet though. Glad you like it though.

na_rsx
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
yeah its too complicated for me, same reason i sold my 880prs, gonna sell it! the 780mp was easier to use, i just **** with **** like this

kberkel
03-28-2009, 03:10 PM
you're sellin it? ah man I absolutely love mine :D

I'm as picky as you though. I'm constantly swapping subs, tweeters, enclosures. My friends think I'm insane, it's just a hobby

good luck with the sale :)

bigbangtheory
03-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I had the samething with my PRS, but still used it for a good year plus before I got tired of tunning it all the time, lol!

na_rsx
03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah, wonder if i can still rma it, let me find out

gentlejax
03-29-2009, 02:33 PM
yeah its too complicated for me, same reason i sold my 880prs, gonna sell it! the 780mp was easier to use, i just **** with **** like this

you sound like me....if I get too many options I spend to much time screwing with it and not enjoying it,.....

na_rsx
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah, my buddy who is a sq active guy said he will trade his 9887 for my jvc, i said sure, but i really want the 780mp :(

bigbangtheory
03-31-2009, 02:19 AM
I hope I enjoy mine more than you did, lol! Making me not want to install it........not really, but :(

na_rsx
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I hope I enjoy mine more than you did, lol! Making me not want to install it........not really, but :(

well turns out that the volume on this headunit goes to 50, but mines only goes to 30, with more bars left, so something is obviously wrong.

so this weekend, or maybe today or tonight gonna play with it and see what i can do. jblcamry's brother says his sounds amazing on a cheap 4 channel amp and ****** cd's.

gentlejax
03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
well turns out that the volume on this headunit goes to 50, but mines only goes to 30, with more bars left, so something is obviously wrong.

so this weekend, or maybe today or tonight gonna play with it and see what i can do. jblcamry's brother says his sounds amazing on a cheap 4 channel amp and ****** cd's.

wait..if I am not mistaken there is a setting which allows you to change the volume and that makes a difference in the volume # ....I know I saw that...read the manual its there....its not the deck....unless I dreamt that..

na_rsx
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
well turns out i made a boo boo, when i swapped out headunits, turns out this headunit puts our more power. so the gain in my amp for my components were pretty up there, but that was with the 780.

now i turned it down all the way, set the crossover on the amp to HP instead of FULL, and that made a world of difference. so i turned the volume on the radio to 45, then turned up the gain on the sub and holy ****. its really loud, and now i am not selling it anymore. gonna upload some wallpapers and screensavers tomorrow. now i have to find out how to make the comps sound cleaner, i know it can, just have to tweak some more.

but this headunit is the bomb!!! its a keeper!

bigbangtheory
04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Woot, glad to hear mang. Was starting to worry!

If I have any questions when I install mine, I am coming here, lol!

na_rsx
04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
yeah, just be sure to set your amps gains and filters to 0, before you play with it, and reset teh headunit as well.

but yeah, i love this headunit, cant wait to install pics and backgrounds

bigbangtheory
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
What do you mean reset the HU? Like after I have it playing, reset it?

na_rsx
04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
What do you mean reset the HU? Like after I have it playing, reset it?

no before you do anything to the headunit, there is a reset button at the bottom, mines did not want to turn on at first. but once i reset it, it worked.

bigbangtheory
04-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Gotcha.

Never had a unit not work, so hopefully I don't have to experience that.

na_rsx
04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
its official, this headunit is now discontinued and considered rare, woot!!

bigbangtheory
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Rare FTW!

Then again, when Saturn starts making cars, are they considered rare, lol! ;)

na_rsx
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Rare FTW!

Then again, when Saturn starts making cars, are they considered rare, lol! ;)

Then again there will always be saturns, you can think of the JVC like a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 :crazy:

bigbangtheory
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
True, but I am not much of a Mitsubishi fan after owning a GTS Eclispe for a couple years. :(

na_rsx
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
finally uploaded the incriminator audio logo on my jvc, ****en rocks

na_rsx
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
oh yeah

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/na_rsx/IMG_0825.jpg

bigbangtheory
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Looks pimp! How do you go about doing that?

IIRC, you use the SD card and load the disc and use that to DL stuff? I used it for maybe 10 minutes and couldn't figure it out.

I still have yet to install it. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks for any help.

na_rsx
04-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Looks pimp! How do you go about doing that?

IIRC, you use the SD card and load the disc and use that to DL stuff? I used it for maybe 10 minutes and couldn't figure it out.

I still have yet to install it. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks for any help.

Well you install the software on the cd, once installed, you find a pic, upload it through the software, adjust it to fit the screen (blank box that pretends to be the screen) then play it and save it.

Takes a while, but once you get it done, save it as a jpa file and put it on teh card. then from teh headunit go to pict, download, find it, will need to do it twice and presto.

tez4life
04-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Very nice, I use to have a JVC touchscreen HU (single DIN) that had a similar feature with the "upload your own images"

****** HU dude, :thumbsup:

na_rsx
04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks man, i am definitely thinking about running active, DLS components ftw

bigbangtheory
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Well you install the software on the cd, once installed, you find a pic, upload it through the software, adjust it to fit the screen (blank box that pretends to be the screen) then play it and save it.

Takes a while, but once you get it done, save it as a jpa file and put it on teh card. then from teh headunit go to pict, download, find it, will need to do it twice and presto.

Cool, will do so and give it a run.

Thanks for the help.

bigbangtheory
04-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Well got the deck installed last night and have to say I really like the layout. Thing is bad arse, but I am just using the stock wallpapers and what not........still killer looking and flows real well in with my dash.

Also this deck is pretty powerful compared to my 4 volt Kenwood I had before this. Granted it was one of their cheaper decks the x-492, but still this deck seems to trump it!

Will take a while to get the sound I am looking for though and need some time to fine tune everything, but I am confident I will get there.

I will post some pics up later on of it.

Just glad to finally get it done, lol! Time is hard to come by. Still have to install the subs, sub amp and clean up the rats nest.......:(

Getting there.

na_rsx
04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
yeah man my sub is set, sounds insanely loud. just need to work on the components, dont think this headunit has hp/lp filters for the fronts and the rears unless the 3 way network is turned on.

maybe its in a sub menu. this is why i might have to run active!

bigbangtheory
04-14-2009, 01:54 AM
yeah man my sub is set, sounds insanely loud. just need to work on the components, dont think this headunit has hp/lp filters for the fronts and the rears unless the 3 way network is turned on.

maybe its in a sub menu. this is why i might have to run active!

Hell, all I got is the 7 parametric EQ to tune......and the BBE crap. That is pretty much it.

Even my Kenwood had the HP/LP functions. :(

Seems to sound pretty good right now though. Just wish mine had more options. I should have went with the 8500, but oh well. This will suffice for now.

na_rsx
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
yeah i really want to run active now, my comps dont sound as clean as before when i had the 780mp installed. but if i do go active, gonna get some custom ****, would hate to blow me DLS mids and tweets lol

bigbangtheory
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
yeah i really want to run active now, my comps dont sound as clean as before when i had the 780mp installed. but if i do go active, gonna get some custom ****, would hate to blow me DLS mids and tweets lol

I ended up going back to my 720c Premier comps in the front and had the same premier rear fill and from my Kenwood even with more adjustments, the JVC is cleaner IMO. Tweets sound fantastic now, where before they sounded just ok at best and the mid was the focal point. Now just need to seal my doors off and be good to go.

And do the rest of my install. Should see James shitting in my build log thread, lol!

na_rsx
04-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh I saw, have a feeling he wont be leaving you alone for a good while lol

hunterw
08-23-2009, 01:51 PM
hey just bought one of these. you guys still like them? and i know its an "sq" deck but how do you think it will do for spl? does it skip at all?

FJF
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
If anyone is looking for one of these decks, I have a brand new one for sale.

Bad_dude
08-27-2009, 08:15 AM
This deck has great features and the motorized face plate is awesome. However, sound quality is not as great as my Pioneer 5000UB.

na_rsx
08-27-2009, 11:52 AM
hey just bought one of these. you guys still like them? and i know its an "sq" deck but how do you think it will do for spl? does it skip at all?

never skips on me

This deck has great features and the motorized face plate is awesome. However, sound quality is not as great as my Pioneer 5000UB.

pretty much unless you run active