PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a HU to use with iPod

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm wanting a new head unit, tired of the static coming through when using a FM transmitter with my iPod. In my car I have a Alpine 9856 (I think) and for the most part I really like it, no complaints. I have a completely stock system in my truck, will probably stay that way (might possibly add a small sub/amp setup later on). 90% of my music will be played though the iPod, so I'd like one that I can control and charge my iPod with. I could care less about the other features, as long as it has a CD player. I'm looking at one of the new Alpines, but just curious as to what else is out there. I'd prefer to stay under $200. What's the best iPod head unit out there in that price range? I had a Kenwood head unit in my old truck, had AUX and USB inputs, but it did not let me control it. I like the new Kenwood HU's, and I can get them at a discount, but controlling the iPod is a big concern. Thanks for any suggestions.

johnnyvolcom5
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Do you want the head unit to control the Ipod? or do you still want to pick songs and stuff with your ipod and have the deck play it to your speakers?

nickolas_j_t
01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
its difficult to learn, but its easy to control the kenwood after a while

bobc04
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
i had a pioneer 6000UB and it was super easy to use ur ipod with it

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd like to use the HU to control the iPod. In my car, the iPod stays in the glove compartment and I do everything through the head unit, and I really like that. I'm beginning to think that I may buy a large flash drive to use instead of the iPod, so USB input would be nice. Thanks for the response everyone.

friedrice2841
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I have been using the Alpine CDA-9885 (now replaced by the 9886). The cable that comes with it charges the iPod, and you control all iPod functions from the headunit.

This unit is very easy to use, and is worthy of the Alpine name.

Check on ebay, you should be able to pick one of the models up for under $200

flamedstang3024
01-07-2009, 01:28 AM
If you are still interested I've got my alpine 9885 up on ebay. It's in perfect condition, comes with everything... remote, kce-422i cable i think and everything else you need. Only reason i am selling it is because im wanting to get an alpine ida-x100. I think the bids are up to 60.00 right now but its ending around i think 8 or 9 tomorrow night. It's really easy to control ipod with it though. Just giving you a heads up. Thanks.

BRZguy
01-07-2009, 01:34 AM
the alpine 9856 supports ipod. all you need to do is buy the adapter.

racedvl
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
I am really diggn' my new ida-x100 so far. It's been in my truck for about a week now, and I really like it more everyday.