PDA

View Full Version : Bad imprint tuning??

Sinister_kid
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Well i bought the 9887 and got the imprint tuned.. but it sounds horrible. Sounds like the closest speaker your sitting to has all the sound coming out of it.. the subs arent pushing any bass at all, the speakers themselves sound horrible :furious::mad::(, NathanH on here can agree to how horrible it sounds. Is there any way that a shop can do a bad job at tuning imprint?

As of right now i just turned off MultiEQ and just kind of tuned it myself. Doesnt sound the best.. but better than what they did. I was also wondering if there are any "decent" settings that i could set it at.. or is everything by ear?

Thanks.

mcsoul
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Do you have Media Expander (mx) on? If not, turn it on.
It almost sounds like some speakers may be wired out of phase.

James Bang
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
The imprint can sound pretty nice when done right, but I'm still not a fan of it.

Sinister_kid
01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Do you have Media Expander (mx) on? If not, turn it on.
It almost sounds like some speakers may be wired out of phase.

Ya i do have it on.. i think set at setting 1 or 2.. not sure. Too much bass from setting 3.

But i dont see how they could be... i just ran the tweeters and mids to the xover then speaker wire back to the amps.. 2 2channels running my speakers and a 1000/1 pushing the jls.

James Bang
01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
you can't blame the imprint, it's the person behind it... in your case.. the shop.

Most shops don't have any tuning skills, that's not their main focus. Their main focus is to sell **** and/or install it and many times they don't even get that part done right.

James Bang
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I actually got to hear a really nice sounding setup yesterday that was tuned via impring (h650).

BUT, the owner knew what he was doing and made good use of recommendations and put a lot of work into it.... even, though the imprint tunes for you. He figured out how the imprint works and used it to his advantage w/ the mic placements (especially for time alignment).

AVX Mike
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Could have been noisy when the imprint was taking measurements. I have had some problems due to this and also haven't had any luck using the imprint kit with a vista computer. Windows xp works great with it. I would take it back and have them redo it.

James Bang
01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Could have been noisy when the imprint was taking measurements. I have had some problems due to this and also haven't had any luck using the imprint kit with a vista computer. Windows xp works great with it. I would take it back and have them redo it.

:crap:

DIY so you can only blame yourself

Sinister_kid
01-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Im going to take it back tomorrow after i get out of school. Im going to see if i can sit there and watch as he does it. Hopefully all goes well!

Sinister_kid
01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Ok, well i went up there and they said "oh thats how its supposed to sound." So i took it to another shop and they said it shouldn't sound like that, we have a guy that went to alpine and got trained in it, blah blah. But i was looking on alpine's site and it doesnt say anywhere that you need special training for tuning imprint, i mean i could do it myself if i had the software and the microphone.

So im supposed to go back up to the shop on monday so the guy can "go over everything" with me... should i try getting my money back since they didnt tune it right and it sounds like ****?

shadowfactory
01-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I have run Imprint over 20 times so far after various changes in my system and small settings like the gains on the amps can have a huge impact on the sound. IMO its very hard to get right and overall not very reliable in any way.

nineball
01-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I have had some problems due to this and also haven't had any luck using the imprint kit with a vista computer. Windows xp works great with it.

The manual specifically states it will only work properly with XPsp2.

JrVtecAccord
01-10-2009, 03:51 PM
The manual specifically states it will only work properly with XPsp2.

It does state that in the manual, but it does work with Vista. I've used it without any problems.

I've had GREAT results with Imprint using a IDA-X100 & PXA-H100 combo, just used the tunning kit. Mounted the mic on a camera tripod, followed the on-screen prompts, couldn't be easier!

Sinister_kid
01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Anybody wanna send me there imprint stuff so i can borrow it? :)

The shop that has the "specially trained" guy wants 85$ an hour and says it will take them 3 hours to tune it all.

HNaga
01-11-2009, 07:29 AM

The shop that has the "specially trained" guy wants 85$ an hour and says it will take them 3 hours to tune it all.
wow , that is more than the kit price itself. and I don't think it takes 3 working hours.

Lil Poot
01-11-2009, 08:00 AM

:laugh:

this is the type of crap that is killing brick and mortar businesses. i havent been to one in years other than for an alarm install before i knew how, and that was so much hassle, i wished i'd dove into it myself.

1hawaii50
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
At this point, if you plan on keeping the 9887, I'd bite the bullet and spend the money to purchase the Imprint kit. I put a 9887 in my wife's Altima, and I've "imprinted" it about 10 times so far. I'm still not happy with it, but it gets a little better each time. As soon as the weather breaks, I'm going to change my amp gains and run it a few more times. I figured that the time I would spend looking for a shop to do it, and then returning to the shop if I wasn't happy with it, that I'd be better off doing it myself. If you search, there is a very long thread on this site dealing specifically with Imprint tuning on the 9887. It is a long read, but very informative.

alpine_freak32
01-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Wow!!! theses dudes are really trying to rob your money.:greedy: It doesn't take three hours to tune, and you dont have to be specially trained.... They reason it sounds like if the sound is coming from one side is because they probably tuned it to the "Driver" position.... I tuned mine on the "All" position and it sounds awesome. I cant ask for more.... I read somewhere where someone compared it to having a "Great pair of headphones" and to me that's exactly what it sounds like. I have some BOSE headphones and you can blast them all the way up and the music can still be heard clear. What i like most about my imprint results is that i can put my music up loud and still understad the words.... If you really like listening to music, IMO imprint is a good way to go...At first i wasn't satisfied with the imprint ausio procesor(before i tuned it) but now im completely satisfied.......NOTE: i got theses results with my factory seakers and still got great sound.... I plan to upgrade them later but im unsure which direction to go in regarding seakers....:crazy:

nineball
01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
ok..someone please explain this to me. i know with a 9886 or ida-x100 you need the imprint kit to tune the system but isn't the main selling point of the 9887 the fact that everything is built into the hu already? are people really spending ~$200 to have the imprint kit setup your time alignment for you?

alpine_freak32
01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-tutorials/50129-imprint-tuning-hints-tips.html

GOOD TIPS ON TUNING WITH IMPRINT......

1hawaii50
01-12-2009, 11:36 PM
ok..someone please explain this to me. i know with a 9886 or ida-x100 you need the imprint kit to tune the system but isn't the main selling point of the 9887 the fact that everything is built into the hu already? are people really spending ~$200 to have the imprint kit setup your time alignment for you?

You must buy the imprint kit to "unlock" the tuning features of the head unit, otherwise, all you get is bass and treble.

GlocksRock
01-13-2009, 08:58 AM
You must buy the imprint kit to "unlock" the tuning features of the head unit, otherwise, all you get is bass and treble.

No, you can't even adjust the bass and treble until you run the imprint kit. Even without the imprint kit you can still adjust the built in eq.

nineball
01-13-2009, 01:49 PM
No, you can't even adjust the bass and treble until you run the imprint kit. Even without the imprint kit you can still adjust the built in eq.

huh? so you can't adjust treble/bass until you get the imprint but you can adjust the eq? doesn't make sense.

if that is the case why would anyone ever spend the extra cash for the 9887 vs the 9886 if they both require further purchases?

GlocksRock
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
huh? so you can't adjust treble/bass until you get the imprint but you can adjust the eq? doesn't make sense.

if that is the case why would anyone ever spend the extra cash for the 9887 vs the 9886 if they both require further purchases?

They require different imprint kits for tuning also. The 9887 has a USB type input behind the faceplate and the 9886 doesn't, also the 9886 has a USB input on it whereas the 9887 doesn't, but I really wish it did.

nineball
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
well, i got tired of partial and wrong answers so i called alpine direct.

as i stated (guessed) before, everything that the imprint kit does is already part of the 9887 with the exception of upgrading the eq - the 9887 has a 5 band parametric and 7 band graphic eq while the imprint kit uses a 500 band eq. digital time alignment, crossover points and the (limited) eq are all built into the 9887 and require the user to configure them. the imprint kit basically sets everything up for you automatically once the software has been run.

the 9886, like the ida-x100, requires the imprint kit to have these abilities. like glocks said they are different imprint kits since they do not have the same internal abilities as the 9887.

donpisto
01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I actually got to hear a really nice sounding setup yesterday that was tuned via impring (h650).

BUT, the owner knew what he was doing and made good use of recommendations and put a lot of work into it.... even, though the imprint tunes for you. He figured out how the imprint works and used it to his advantage w/ the mic placements (especially for time alignment).

Was it Jim?

As for the OP, there is only so far that auto tuning can take you. The rest needs to be done by a human. It's a good reference or starting point, but no machine or equipment can tell you what sounds best for YOU.

donpisto
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Wow!!! theses dudes are really trying to rob your money.:greedy: It doesn't take three hours to tune, and you dont have to be specially trained.... They reason it sounds like if the sound is coming from one side is because they probably tuned it to the "Driver" position.... I tuned mine on the "All" position and it sounds awesome. I cant ask for more.... I read somewhere where someone compared it to having a "Great pair of headphones" and to me that's exactly what it sounds like. I have some BOSE headphones and you can blast them all the way up and the music can still be heard clear. What i like most about my imprint results is that i can put my music up loud and still understad the words.... If you really like listening to music, IMO imprint is a good way to go...At first i wasn't satisfied with the imprint ausio procesor(before i tuned it) but now im completely satisfied.......NOTE: i got theses results with my factory seakers and still got great sound.... I plan to upgrade them later but im unsure which direction to go in regarding seakers....:crazy:

Proper tuning can EASILY take several hours. Sometimes it can take days as you notice little changes here and there as you listen to more music and different songs.

groundpound4200
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM

no. the eq is in the A. Select menu I think. Took me a minute to find it too.

Sinister_kid
01-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Alright guys. After reading all your posts..

Yes the shop is trying to rip me off.. almost 100$ an hour for tuning.. BS. But they said they were going to retune all my amps gains, HPFs, LPFs, EVERYTHING on the amps.

With the 9887 you odnt have to pay the 200$ for the imprint then have to pay for getting it tuned (labor) like with the 9886. Everything is built in.. and the 9887 is only ~100$ more than the 9886. Way better route.

The shop i took it to in the first place.. placed the speaker in front of each speaker and not on a tripod at ear level in each seat like it says too in the imprint manual (read it online).

I dont have the money to go and buy the imprint tuning software is the problem. Still waiting for somebody to want to loan it to me :) ;)

groundpound4200
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
shop I went to charged $50 I think. I didnt do it though.... I waould rather find an RTA and do it myself

Sinister_kid
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Ya thats how much i was charged to have it sound like SH1T

also, quick question.. in the parametric eq, what does the freq. setting do?

like on band 3 if i set it to 400hz compared to say 600hz. whats the difference?

nineball
01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Alright guys. After reading all your posts..

Yes the shop is trying to rip me off.. almost 100$ an hour for tuning.. BS. But they said they were going to retune all my amps gains, HPFs, LPFs, EVERYTHING on the amps.

With the 9887 you odnt have to pay the 200$ for the imprint then have to pay for getting it tuned (labor) like with the 9886. Everything is built in.. and the 9887 is only ~100$ more than the 9886. Way better route.

The shop i took it to in the first place.. placed the speaker in front of each speaker and not on a tripod at ear level in each seat like it says too in the imprint manual (read it online).

I dont have the money to go and buy the imprint tuning software is the problem. Still waiting for somebody to want to loan it to me :) ;)

do it yourself. every piece of information you could possibly need is posted on this board somewhere, and if not the topic has been discussed and has a link to somewhere that has your answer. don't pay anyone a thing, do some research and learn how to tune it yourself.

after re-reading that i would like to point out that i am saying this in an encouraging way.

like schoolhouse rocky said, "it's great to learn 'cuz knowledge is power!".

http://www.school-house-rock.com/images/shr.gif

Random1010
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Where are you taking it?

Sinister_kid
01-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Nineball, no worries i didnt take it offensively in any way. I knew what you were meaning. But i dont have the money to do it myself is the problem :(

and terra ygpm

nineball
01-14-2009, 12:28 AM
it won't cost you a dime. the 9887 has everything built in already, you just have to set it.

Sinister_kid
01-14-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm talking about with the imprint tuning ;)