PDA

View Full Version : think Ill get port noise?

russrocks
08-05-2003, 10:18 PM
tomorrow I have to build this box for my SEXXX 15 b/c hopefully on thursday Im getting my car back from a repair.
Anyways, I blueprinted the box, 4 cubes tuned to 32hz, using 2 2*5 ports 10.5 inches long. The box is 14 inches deep, and Im going to have a 1.5 inch baffle so there will be 5 inches between the back wall and the end of the port. Should I be oK?
Thanks!

Primetime
08-05-2003, 11:18 PM
tomorrow I have to build this box for my SEXXX 15 b/c hopefully on thursday Im getting my car back from a repair.
Anyways, I blueprinted the box, 4 cubes tuned to 32hz, using 2 2*5 ports 10.5 inches long. The box is 14 inches deep, and Im going to have a 1.5 inch baffle so there will be 5 inches between the back wall and the end of the port. Should I be oK?
Thanks!

I'd say your chances are 50/50 .. 2" is kinda narrow

MikeofTulsa
08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
so ur going w/ a slot port???? i believe the idea behind slot ports is to reduce the port noise...im not really all to famalier w/ them tho....maybe somone else can help ya a tad more....

paikiah
08-06-2003, 01:07 AM
according to port velocity on winISD, with about 1000w, you will get about 49m/s turbulence on the most severe points. That's not good, apparently, anything above 35m/s is audible, whilst some say 30m/s is also audible.

russrocks
08-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Im a little stumped, I really want 2 slot ports that share the top wall of the enclosure, something like this

thing is, Im not sure about the building process if they were to bend alongside the back wall, thats why Im trying to kep them as short as possible. Any ideas?

paikiah
08-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Im a little stumped, I really want 2 slot ports that share the top wall of the enclosure, something like this

thing is, Im not sure about the building process if they were to bend alongside the back wall, thats why Im trying to kep them as short as possible. Any ideas?

well, it's not overly hard to "bend" a port, just need to make sure the space between dividers are equal. If the port is long, it will help brace your box better too.

You could actually use a panel that's cut exactly to the width of your port and use it to make sure it's spaced out correctly.

A short port might reduce air turbulence, but remember, build a port according to what it'll sound like, not according to how hard or how easy it will be. :)