PDA

View Full Version : whats up with 2 ohm speakers??

Steveopevo
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Infinity and JBL have a "true 4-ohm" philosophy saying that voice coil heat and speaker wire raise impedance thus balancing the load to 4-ohms. but what about amplifier heat and sound quality??

gunz4me
01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
What about impedance rise since these speakers generally play the high frequencies in your system?

As for sound quality, the MMD domes on the Infinity Kappas are quite HARSH, so SQ isn't exactly their best attribute on the higher frequencies.

mendon mafia
01-01-2009, 01:31 PM
i have to admit that i like the kappa tweeters sound. i love tweets that make you blink, the mid on the other hand are terrible. they sound bad and ive had to get them replaced 4 times within the 1 year warranty period do to all different kinds of failures.

Steveopevo
01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
What about impedance rise since these speakers generally play the high frequencies in your system?

As for sound quality, the MMD domes on the Infinity Kappas are quite HARSH, so SQ isn't exactly their best attribute on the higher frequencies.

I don't like kappas either but I was considering JBL power series. I just didn't like the idea of running a 2-ohm load on door speakers since I've heard some concerns about it.

timaishu
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Ive been giving my 2 ohms speakers 60w for about 3 months now. no issues.

x2o
01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
My RE XXX mids are 2ohm, giving them 90-100w right now without any problems...

Not sure what problems you've heard about running at 2ohms, any 2ohm stable amp can play them at 2ohms.

Steveopevo
01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
My RE XXX mids are 2ohm, giving them 90-100w right now without any problems...

Not sure what problems you've heard about running at 2ohms, any 2ohm stable amp can play them at 2ohms.

problems I heard about were reduced sound quality at lower ohm levels and although an amp is 2-ohm stable it means that it will be running hotter than normal. is 100 watts per speaker even necessary. that would blow my ear drums.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12208
read the third reply down.

x2o
01-03-2009, 07:40 PM
problems I heard about were reduced sound quality at lower ohm levels and although an amp is 2-ohm stable it means that it will be running hotter than normal. is 100 watts per speaker even necessary. that would blow my ear drums.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12208
read the third reply down.

Read the forth reply down, lol.

IMO that's bullshit that you can 'hear' the difference between a 2 and a 4 ohm load. But I'm not one of those crazy SQ heads, so I don't know. I'd understand if I were spending thousands and thousands of dollars on each piece of equipment in my system, then hell yeah I'd want it to sound good. But honestly, considering your here asking this question in the first place has me thinking your running a normal setup, not a 6,000 dollar component set and a 2,000 dollar amplifier. But that may be wrong, just a generalization from what I've seen on CA.com. DIYMA and ICIXsound have some more SQ related infos, but honestly, I think it's total BS to hear the difference in 2 and 4 ohms with any decent amp setup.

gunz4me
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I call BS on reduced sound quality just because a speaker is rated @ 2 ohms. IIRC, the 2 ohm Kappas and JBL speakers can safely be run with head units that are only 4 ohm stable.

My advice, see if you can audition the Polks or JBLs locally, then decide from there. Granted, they won't sound the same in your car, but you should be able to tell if the speaker sounds relatively "clean" in the soundboard.

shaneb
01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
A lower Impedance will lower the dampening factor in a driver, that is the only place I would see a SQ issue coming into play.
You won't likely tell the difference if you are looking at JBL and Infinity speakers.

On another note, I had a pair of Polk DB series speakers before my Image Dynamics. Honestly, I loved them, if I wasn't running horns, I would get Polk tweeters in a heartbeat. Just not MoMo's.

Steveopevo
01-03-2009, 07:54 PM

IMO that's bullshit that you can 'hear' the difference between a 2 and a 4 ohm load. But I'm not one of those crazy SQ heads, so I don't know. I'd understand if I were spending thousands and thousands of dollars on each piece of equipment in my system, then hell yeah I'd want it to sound good. But honestly, considering your here asking this question in the first place has me thinking your running a normal setup, not a 6,000 dollar component set and a 2,000 dollar amplifier. But that may be wrong, just a generalization from what I've seen on CA.com. DIYMA and ICIXsound have some more SQ related infos, but honestly, I think it's total BS to hear the difference in 2 and 4 ohms with any decent amp setup.

yeah, I already did...lol, but there are similar threads that refer to the issue. 2 ohm operation is still gonna run an amp hotter though.

Steveopevo
01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
A lower Impedance will lower the dampening factor in a driver, that is the only place I would see a SQ issue coming into play.
You won't likely tell the difference if you are looking at JBL and Infinity speakers.

On another note, I had a pair of Polk DB series speakers before my Image Dynamics. Honestly, I loved them, if I wasn't running horns, I would get Polk tweeters in a heartbeat. Just not MoMo's.

just found out that the jbl p-series sound like kappas and I don't like kappas so scratch that. I've had polk db650's in my last car and they pounded some great mid bass with 50 watts rms. I wanted something a little better this time around and I was looking at the new polk mm series but holy crap they're rated to 100 watts rms. I want something less power hungry so I guess now I'm looking at some JL c2's.

Steveopevo
01-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I call BS on reduced sound quality just because a speaker is rated @ 2 ohms. IIRC, the 2 ohm Kappas and JBL speakers can safely be run with head units that are only 4 ohm stable.

My advice, see if you can audition the Polks or JBLs locally, then decide from there. Granted, they won't sound the same in your car, but you should be able to tell if the speaker sounds relatively "clean" in the soundboard.

2 ohm speakers are only safe to run off of a typical 4 ohm h/u if you keep the factory speaker wire 18-22 guage. I asked jbl about it and they said that the primary reason it was safe was using the crappy factory speaker wire which in turn balances the impedance back upto 4 ohms. I said well what if I use 16 guage or lower and they said it could became a problem at that point. But of course I do intend on running an amp so who cares.

shaneb
01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
just found out that the jbl p-series sound like kappas and I don't like kappas so scratch that. I've had polk db650's in my last car and they pounded some great mid bass with 50 watts rms. I wanted something a little better this time around and I was looking at the new polk mm series but holy crap they're rated to 100 watts rms. I want something less power hungry so I guess now I'm looking at some JL c2's.

If you are looking at coaxials. Image Dynamics CTX series coax beat out JL and some other brands on a reveiw. http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0810_speaker_roundup_image_dynamics_eclipse_e xile/index.html I'm running the CTX mids at the moment with horns, I had the tweeters too, they were great. The mids are good. Not sure how much the component and the coaxial differ. But that review speaks for itself.

Steveopevo
01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
If you are looking at coaxials. Image Dynamics CTX series coax beat out JL and some other brands on a reveiw. http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0810_speaker_roundup_image_dynamics_eclipse_e xile/index.html I'm running the CTX mids at the moment with horns, I had the tweeters too, they were great. The mids are good. Not sure how much the component and the coaxial differ. But that review speaks for itself.

well I can see why they're better already, they have bigger motor structure and a deeper excursion. mounting depth is way too deep for the doors in my taurus.

shaneb
01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
well I can see why they're better already, they have bigger motor structure and a deeper excursion. mounting depth is way too deep for the doors in my taurus.

Yeah I had to make 1 1/2'' baffles for my Prelude :D
It was worth it :)
Cause any high end mid I put in there is going to need about 3 inches.

Steveopevo
01-03-2009, 08:24 PM

I would buy them in a heartbeat but the depth from the cut out is only 2-3/4 to the window when it's rolled down. I guess I could put spacer rings in but the tweeters would hit the factory grill and I want to keep my factory grills so thiefs don't look in my car and see opportunity.

Horsemanwill
01-03-2009, 11:41 PM

imo your right. the only difference is the power that the 2 ohm speaker is getting compared to the 4 ohm one. and it also depends on the amp also some amps will run hotter at 2 ohms and some won't even break a sweat.

yeah, I already did...lol, but there are similar threads that refer to the issue. 2 ohm operation is still gonna run an amp hotter though.

again like i said a lil bit earlier it all depends on the amp.

Horsemanwill
01-03-2009, 11:43 PM

not really there are a few "high end" mids out there that won't take up that much space.

gunz4me
01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
2 ohm speakers are only safe to run off of a typical 4 ohm h/u if you keep the factory speaker wire 18-22 guage. I asked jbl about it and they said that the primary reason it was safe was using the crappy factory speaker wire which in turn balances the impedance back upto 4 ohms. I said well what if I use 16 guage or lower and they said it could became a problem at that point. But of course I do intend on running an amp so who cares.

I have been cheating a lot lately. I usually run 16 gauge or bigger wire to the factory wire, and let it run factory from there. I still curse Honda for those molex plugs. The passenger door has extra space to run a wire, but all the slots on my driver's side are taken up:verymad: I am NOT pulling the fenders or doors just to run additional speaker wires!

Horsemanwill
01-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I have been cheating a lot lately. I usually run 16 gauge or bigger wire to the factory wire, and let it run factory from there. I still curse Honda for those molex plugs. The passenger door has extra space to run a wire, but all the slots on my driver's side are taken up:verymad: I am NOT pulling the fenders or doors just to run additional speaker wires!

honda and almost all the newer cars now :( have them **** plastic freaking plugs.

x2o
01-03-2009, 11:50 PM
honda and almost all the newer cars now :( have them **** plastic freaking plugs.

Even mine has it, and I have a 2003 mazda :(.

The 2006 civic I worked on the other day had them as well. **** plugs..

shaneb
01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
When you lower the impedance load on a amp, the damping factor halves, the damping factor is the ability for that amp to control the driver, to make it stop and start on a dime.
Now will you notice the difference in a CX2 or CX4 driver? no, not likely you will ever hear the difference. But that is what I meant by damping factory possibly affecting SQ.

x2o
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
When you lower the impedance load on a amp, the damping factor halves, the damping factor is the ability for that amp to control the driver, to make it stop and start on a dime.
Now will you notice the difference in a CX2 or CX4 driver? no, not likely you will ever hear the difference. But that is what I meant by damping factory possibly affecting SQ.

Yeah I understood you. I mean in scientific terms it does diminish SQ I suppose, but is it audible? 99% likely that it is not..

Honestly, as long as the ear can't tell, it doesn't matter to me :). I understand how the damping factor could effect SQ by dropping the ohm load, but is it audible? I think not.

shaneb
01-04-2009, 12:00 AM
not really there are a few "high end" mids out there that won't take up that much space.

:rolleyes:

shaneb
01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah I understood you. I mean in scientific terms it does diminish SQ I suppose, but is it audible? 99% likely that it is not..

Honestly, as long as the ear can't tell, it doesn't matter to me :). I understand how the damping factor could effect SQ by dropping the ohm load, but is it audible? I think not.

Agreed.

gunz4me
01-04-2009, 12:04 AM
The other question I would ask is how many manufacturers are actually telling the truth about their damping factor? IIRC the old school Rockford Fosgates and Orions used to rate their damping factor at the circuit board NOT the molex plug. Back then, everyone was impressed with the huge damping factor numbers.

On the other hand, I remember people running their HCCA 225s @ 1/4 (ETA ohm) and the subs sounded like shite. This was largely blamed on the fact that the damping factor at such a low load caused the subwoofer to lose control. Don't get me wrong, it was rather impressive what they could do with one amp regarding SPL for a particular power class, but I heard basic setups with more power that sounded tons better!

Lastly, while I am at it, didn't the Orion NT series have an insane damping factor. I am talking greater than 1,000....