PDA

View Full Version : increasing sub output from my deck

Jakeeck
12-31-2008, 03:39 AM
when i increase the sub output on my deck.. is it the exact same thing as going back to my amp and increasing the gain?

MTX520
12-31-2008, 03:40 AM
when i increase the sub output on my deck.. is it the exact same thing as going back to my amp and increasing the gain?

not really..some one correct me if im wrong

Louisiana_CRX
12-31-2008, 03:42 AM
sub output adjust your sub level outputs up to where your amp is adjusted....

Jakeeck
12-31-2008, 06:00 AM
sub output adjust your sub level outputs up to where your amp is adjusted....

i dont get it.. if i set my gain using a dmm and for example im setting my gains so im outputting 42.4v at the amp.. my sub level output on my deck is at 0.. what happens when i turn it up.. does it increase that voltage or not?

could someone explain in more detail please?

eharri3
12-31-2008, 07:26 AM
It increases the voltage that is going from the deck to the subwoofer. I know on my Alpine and probably most HUs, the way it works is the lowest setting on the sub control is actually the maximum attenuation point, the highest setting is normal volume, no attenuation. These measurements should be taken with that control at their maximum to get the most output from the sub, otherwise you have zero flexibility to adjust this without instantly introducing a clipped signal into your system before getting maximum loudness from the sub. Set your gain with it at zero then increase it at all you're probably already clipping your amplifier. When you set at max you then have the flexibility to attenuate if your music calls for it.

The proper crossover and EQ settings to get a more accurate reading at the multi-meter are mentioned in the gain tutorial in the amp section. I believe step by step instructions reposted somewhere near the last page. EQ flat, crossovers off or set significantly higher than the test tone frequency, HU volume at its maximum undistorted level or as loud as you think you'll EVER listen to music.

When on the other hand you increase the gain you are lowering the voltage input required for your amplifier to reach maximum output. If it's too high, this is a good thing. If it's just right and you're going for a bit of 'overlap' and you understand the concept and how to do it right, still not a bad thing. If it's already set right and you're notching it higher with no understanding of the situation other than that you want more loudness, well... refer to your other post about smelly subs.

Jakeeck
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
It increases the voltage that is going from the deck to the subwoofer. I know on my Alpine and probably most HUs, the way it works is the lowest setting on the sub control is actually the maximum attenuation point, the highest setting is normal volume, no attenuation. These measurements should be taken with that control at their maximum to get the most output from the sub, otherwise you have zero flexibility to adjust this without instantly introducing a clipped signal into your system before getting maximum loudness from the sub. Set your gain with it at zero then increase it at all you're probably already clipping your amplifier. When you set at max you then have the flexibility to attenuate if your music calls for it.

The proper crossover and EQ settings to get a more accurate reading at the multi-meter are mentioned in the gain tutorial in the amp section. I believe step by step instructions reposted somewhere near the last page. EQ flat, crossovers off or set significantly higher than the test tone frequency, HU volume at its maximum undistorted level or as loud as you think you'll EVER listen to music.

When on the other hand you increase the gain you are lowering the voltage input required for your amplifier to reach maximum output. If it's too high, this is a good thing. If it's just right and you're going for a bit of 'overlap' and you understand the concept and how to do it right, still not a bad thing. If it's already set right and you're notching it higher with no understanding of the situation other than that you want more loudness, well... refer to your other post about smelly subs.

shouldnt i set it at like 3 or 4? it goes to 6.. but if i set it at the max.. then if i get lower quality music or something itd be nice to turn it up a little bit..?

eharri3
12-31-2008, 04:12 PM
If you're worried about that leave a little gain overlap so you have some headroom in the volume for lower quality recordings that don't put out a strong signal as early.