PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to make another thread but i still need comps

mendon mafia
12-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok so i have a 4 channel amp (SOUNDMAGUS CP91) it does 90x4 @ 4 ohms, 120x4 @ 2 ohms, or 180x2 @ 4 ohms.

First of all should i bridge the amp and throw 180 watts and a a passive comp set

or should i go active?

Currently i have a pair of infinity 10.7t kappa tweeters from my 60.7 cs. the mids are shot and i hated them anyways.

Im looking for SQL. i will be running a 15" loaded BTL on 3200 rms and they need to keep up mid bass wise and on all other fronts.

Im willing to spend $200 but not a penny more. I AM NOT AN AUDIOPHILE i dont need perfection just strong sound thats clean.

Do any of you guys know of any good 2 Ohms mids that will take the 120 watts my amp puts out and work well with my kappa tweets?

is there a good full comp set that i can afford that will work off of my amp bridged?

I dont want to waste my amp by only running 2 channels so its gotta be active or bridged.

Will my kappa tweets take rated power without the supplied xover 50 watts rms?

i need some help here guys so any recommendation will be appreciated.

Im not sure what will sound best and i dont know much about running active

Heres a link to the specs and features of my amp so you can see what i have to work with:
http://www.soundmagus.com/CP91.html

Test report:
http://www.soundmagus.com/images/test%20report/CP91%20test%20report.pdf

mendon mafia
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
no help?

Rashaddd
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
just bridge it to some passive comps, not worth going active if you're more concerned with getting loud and aren't going to tune it to perfection

SplMonty
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
get RSD's

mendon mafia
12-31-2008, 03:31 PM
will rsd's take 180 rms?

Im looking for a comp set that will take 180rms from my amp bridged then.

i need the full set because i know my kappa tweets wont take that kind of power.

mcsoul
12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Get the aq agq 6.5's

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

mendon mafia
01-01-2009, 11:35 AM
those aq comps take 180 rms?

mcsoul
01-01-2009, 01:23 PM
those aq comps take 180 rms?

I would think they would be happy with it, just be easy on the gain
(set it correctly or less). Don't go crazy with the volume control.

mendon mafia
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
do you have them? how do they sound? what do they compare to?

mcsoul
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
do you have them? how do they sound? what do they compare to?

You where going to be my guinea pig, let everyone know how they sound!

tez4life
01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Rockford Fosgate Power Series Comps, can be had for less than $200 on fleabay, and would handle that power fine. Speakers are rated at 100rms, but are inefficient. I was feeding my 200w from a Orion 8002 at 4 ohm, and they took it like a champ.

Not the best sounding comps in my opinion, but they were loud, if thats what your looking for.

Adnan
01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
^
agreed! only 89db
but with proper juice they get loud

mendon mafia
01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
anything that may sound better?

mendon mafia
01-02-2009, 02:20 AM
ok heres a few ive found all for under $200 that i want your opinions on

type x comps
JL XR's
rainbow SLX
polk momo
diamond S600S or A
mb Quart PVI-216
kappa perfects
boston acoustics SL60
CDT EF-61FG w/ t25 tweeter and satnet 450 xover
rockford T162s

thats a pretty good list.
Which do you all think will be loudest?
what about the best sounding?
Best midbass?
will they all take the 180rms i have for them?
anything else that i should look at?

thanks for the help. im trying to get a set ordered soon so i dont end up spending my money at the bars.

lyttleviet
01-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Arc Fd6000

mendon mafia
01-02-2009, 09:32 PM
anyone heard about the rainbow soundline?

tez4life
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
ok heres a few ive found all for under $200 that i want your opinions on

type x comps
JL XR's
rainbow SLX
polk momo
diamond S600S or A
mb Quart PVI-216
kappa perfects
boston acoustics SL60
CDT EF-61FG w/ t25 tweeter and satnet 450 xover
rockford T162s

thats a pretty good list.
Which do you all think will be loudest?
what about the best sounding?
Best midbass?
will they all take the 180rms i have for them?
anything else that i should look at?

thanks for the help. im trying to get a set ordered soon so i dont end up spending my money at the bars.

Out of all those, the only ones Ive had experence with is the Polks and the Rockfords.

Polks, good midbass, pretty good clarity, very sensitive tweeters, have to be careful not to overpower them, they are not that durable IMO.

On the Rockfords, I should have mention this above, there great sounding speakers, I just didnt care for them after a while. I tried active and I got hooked and thats why they dont appeal to me now.

However, if I was going with comps again, I would prob chose those, with a fair amount of power. Midbass is very strong from the set, and the tweeter while not the cleanest sounding, is quite bright. I think for what you want they will work.

Honestly, with all the ones you mention, I would suggest you check around your town and see if you can demo any of these.

mendon mafia
01-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Out of all those, the only ones Ive had experence with is the Polks and the Rockfords.

Polks, good midbass, pretty good clarity, very sensitive tweeters, have to be careful not to overpower them, they are not that durable IMO.

On the Rockfords, I should have mention this above, there great sounding speakers, I just didnt care for them after a while. I tried active and I got hooked and thats why they dont appeal to me now.

However, if I was going with comps again, I would prob chose those, with a fair amount of power. Midbass is very strong from the set, and the tweeter while not the cleanest sounding, is quite bright. I think for what you want they will work.

Honestly, with all the ones you mention, I would suggest you check around your town and see if you can demo any of these.

thanks for the input i can get a set on ebay for really cheap like under $150 shipped so i think i might go ahead and do that.

i wish i could try to hear them first but there is no "real" car audio shops in rochester, NY that i know of and the ones that do exist only carry garbage or only JL. also i have kind of a poor installation because its nearly impossible to deaden my doors and the way the speaker mounts makes it impossible to seal the panel. so even if i could hear them in a store they may sound vastly different in my car.

bigbangtheory
01-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Should check into the Pioneer Premier D series line. Can be had for 130 and under at some sites. I had them and gave them only 60rms a side and they were some of the best sounding comps I have had. Nice midbass, very smooth and detailed. I recently got out of caraudio, but in the next couple of months, I will be probably getting back into it, and more than likely I will be using those again.

720c D sereis to be exact.

Also ID has a nice comp set I would refer. Can be had off woofersexct.com for under 200 smacks and is a very nice set. If I don't go back to the Pioneers, I will go with those.

Also, I am not a noob to comp sets. Have had 500 dollar MB Quart Q series the older ones, Alpine Type X's, SLC Raninbows, JL XR's and quite a few others. These Pioneers sound as good if not better than all of them IMO.

Does help that my current car has well deadened doors though.

mendon mafia
01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
wow i can get those pioneers for under $120! i like the fact that they play down to 30 hz too so they should have good midbass. i might go ahead and pick those up. thats dirt cheap. but there only rated for 60 rms and i will be bridging my amp and sending them about 180 rms.

Horsemanwill
01-03-2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6201

comes with warrenty and they'll handle that power fine.

mendon mafia
01-03-2009, 04:24 PM
ok so i have it narrowed down.

ID CTX65cs for 180 shipped

Rockford T162s 145 shipped

Pioneer TS-D720C 115 shipped (questionable to handle 180 rms, input would be nice)

is it worth the extra $35 to gto from the rockfords to the ID's?

What about the extra $65 to go from the pioneers to the ID's?

keep in mind im coming form Infinity kappas on 120 rms. terrible speakers IMO.

which of these sets will be the loudest on 180 rms?
Best midbass?
Cleanest sound/lowest distortion?

mendon mafia
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Pioneer TS-D720C 115 shipped (questionable to handle 180 rms, input would be nice)

Best midbass?

ttt

Fender5
01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
i ordered the ID CTX65CS and they come in the 8th. and when i get them hooked in this weekend, they'll be seein 125W each.
I'll let you kno how they sound if you havent ordered any comps by then.

req
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
image dynamics cx components with the 2 ohm midbass will work active (2ohm midbass) and will take 180w if you set the gains properly - along with every other component set that says 100w RMS. because you can set the amp to put out lower than 180w. its called headroom.

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cxs62-component-system-p-130.html

yes they say $360 but they can be had for less if you look around. or you could just get the midbass' as a standalone. again, they can be had for about 50% that price if you keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cx62-high-definition-midrange-drivers-p-56.html

and use them active, or build a passive crossover using the specs that image dynamics has. im sure that you could call ID up and ask them what crossover pieces to build your own, they are quite helpful with that kind of stuff.

yes i like image dynamics and all my speakers are made by ID. but - they just sound like the speaker you need. *shrug*

Horsemanwill
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
image dynamics cx components with the 2 ohm midbass will work active (2ohm midbass) and will take 180w if you set the gains properly - along with every other component set that says 100w RMS. because you can set the amp to put out lower than 180w. its called headroom.

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cxs62-component-system-p-130.html

yes they say $360 but they can be had for less if you look around. or you could just get the midbass' as a standalone. again, they can be had for about 50% that price if you keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cx62-high-definition-midrange-drivers-p-56.html

and use them active, or build a passive crossover using the specs that image dynamics has. im sure that you could call ID up and ask them what crossover pieces to build your own, they are quite helpful with that kind of stuff.

yes i like image dynamics and all my speakers are made by ID. but - they just sound like the speaker you need. *shrug*

with that said if you go with the new cxsv2 or the xs mids Matt had this to say over at the iD forum "Just so you know when we designed the x over on the X and CX sets there is no x-over of the midbass, it plays full range the x-over is for only the tweeter"

mendon mafia
01-04-2009, 11:07 PM
find me a cxs64 set for under $200 and ill buy them in a heart beat. the cxs62 i wont be able to run my amp bridged on. its only 4 ohms stable bridged.

mendon mafia
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
ttt

mendon mafia
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Best midbass?

ttt

Horsemanwill
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
QUOTE=mendon mafia;5661428]ttt[/QUOTE]

no one but you can answer that question after it's installed. mainly because unless someone has the same car as you, the same amp and set everything like you set it, it would sound different. so now the decision is up to you. now stop being a chicken and take the plunge. pick one:wow:[

foreman
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Get the id's you wont be disappointed. If you need help setting it up, PM me, i'm local i can come out and give you a hand, only about 20min from mendon....

mendon mafia
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Get the id's you wont be disappointed. If you need help setting it up, PM me, i'm local i can come out and give you a hand, only about 20min from mendon....

sweet that would be awesome. I need to deaden my doors first tho,

what does setting it up involve doing besides aiming the tweets and setting the filters and gains?

you know of any good shops i could go to hear some of these speakers localy?