PDA

View Full Version : Lower tuning sound better?

Silica
08-04-2003, 12:00 PM
I have an 8 cubic foot box tuned to 38 ish hz, its got 2 15" hc
right now its just rediculously loud and the sq lacks quite a bit,

Question is, if i lower the tuning to say 30 hz or 28hz will that improve sq any?

Tim

jbl_marshall21
08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
yea u will have much better low end. better sq. u won't have as much spl but it will be very close.

ShaunMac
08-04-2003, 05:28 PM
38Hz is too high to expect decent SQ.
Try tuning around 30Hz or lower and using a smaller enclosure.

That 8 ft box creates a large peak in your freq response. Not good for SQ. A smaller box will give you a flatter response.

With your new lower tuning freq and smaller box, your subs will sound much better. Deeper, flatter response. More SQ!

Silica
08-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Yeah lol i know i wanted to see what the 8 footer sounded like..
I cant even listen to songs anymore lol,

like ill be playing a song and there will be like less bass then my factor speakers and then all of a sudden when the bass notes change to like 38 hz,

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY SUBS GO KKKKKKAAAABOOOOOOMMMMMMM

and your face feels like its gonna fall off.

then its back to no bass when the bass noes change lol

Primetime
08-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I have an 8 cubic foot box tuned to 38 ish hz, its got 2 15" hc
right now its just rediculously loud and the sq lacks quite a bit,

Tim

8 cubic feet??? do you have the speakers sitting in the window pointed out, using the ENTIRE car for volume..

Dave

MXJMR
08-07-2003, 12:24 AM
No doubt, are you sure its 8 cubes. Is your ride a school bus? :D Yes if you tune it lower you will gain as much sound quality as you lose spl. But 1 thing that will definitely make a difference would be a lil' downsizing on the 8 cubes part.

accord18
08-11-2003, 07:30 PM
amen! MXJMR