PDA

View Full Version : Wood types?

Plutoman
12-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I know most people use MDF wood - but I have quite a stack of 3/4" plywood - is the type of wood going to make a difference?

john denver
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
if its birch it would do good

Plutoman
12-28-2008, 02:56 PM
if its birch it would do good

Not sure of the exact type, but it's nice and heavy.

Fiercetimbo17
12-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Then its not birch, birch is nice and light but is more dense than MDF which is why its a better wood.
However its like $45 a sheet so more than 2x the cost of mdf.

Do not use regular plywood

crazy4life
12-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I made my box out of the same stuff because it was free and i have yet to have problems but i have been told the box will come apart.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j112/crazy4life3000/Audio%20stuff/IMG_0139.jpg

Plutoman
12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Then its not birch, birch is nice and light but is more dense than MDF which is why its a better wood.
However its like $45 a sheet so more than 2x the cost of mdf.

Do not use regular plywood

Just out of curiosity - why?

It's quite thick - and I have more than enough, so it's convenient. It'd also be for something small, a single ported 8", most likely. Possibly two, later on, but only a single 8" for now.

I have enough that I could easily do two layers if necessary - and it'd help, as the box wouldn't move around.

deLeo
12-28-2008, 03:42 PM
do it... if it blows up you know for next time :)

hatemonger
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Just out of curiosity - why?

It's quite thick - and I have more than enough, so it's convenient. It'd also be for something small, a single ported 8", most likely. Possibly two, later on, but only a single 8" for now.

I have enough that I could easily do two layers if necessary - and it'd help, as the box wouldn't move around.

you can use it for a small box. instead of using caulk, use liquid nails to seal it. buy a can of undercoating (home depot has it) and spray the inside. brace top to bottom, and front to back with dowels.

mlstrass
12-28-2008, 05:47 PM
don't use liquid nails as it *****. I caulked my wall and glued on 2x4 braces on the outside using it. When I removed the screws they all fell right off. And I used a shitload of it. Same with the areas I caulked, peeled right off.

Use wood glue to hold the box together and caulk the seams if you think it'll leak...

AudioJunkie73
12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I have used plywood on a few boxes and I have never had a problem with it.

hatemonger
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
don't use liquid nails as it *****. I caulked my wall and glued on 2x4 braces on the outside using it. When I removed the screws they all fell right off. And I used a shitload of it. Same with the areas I caulked, peeled right off.

Use wood glue to hold the box together and caulk the seams if you think it'll leak...

i don't use liquid nails to glue it together. i've actually swithced to a brand called loctite power grab. i substitute it instead of using caulking. i wasn't suggesting that anyone use it to glue the box together.:crazy:

Plutoman
12-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking using the plywood - coating it on the inside to seal it, and caulking the seams. All using what I have here - which will save me a bit of money - I'll hope enough to get a second 8 :P

Christmas didn't help my budget - spent way more than I got ;_;

And would I really need to brace it - a half a cube sized box? It still is 3/4" thick plywood... Hell, a sheet of that can hold me up. Supported by the corners.