PDA

View Full Version : port location on box...

Etac
12-28-2008, 01:42 AM
im building a box and should be finishing it up tomorrow.. so i just wanna if its true you wanna try to keep the port 3-4 inches from the side of the box... and how much of a difference this would really make?

i didnt put that into consideration and planned on using two 4 inch ports tunred to 32hz (5cubic feet) and i wouldnt be able to get that distance unless i switch to 3 inch ports... but wasnt sure if that would be big enough?

john denver
12-28-2008, 01:46 AM
i dont think thats going to be enough port area

Etac
12-28-2008, 01:48 AM
well like i said i can fit the 4 inches... and i think im lose like .25ft^3 cause i gotta shave a little off... but like i said with the 4 inch ports, they would be only like 1.5 inches from the wall.. and im not sure how bad that would really be?

Rashaddd
12-28-2008, 01:49 AM
are they flared?

Etac
12-28-2008, 01:50 AM
no , im actually just using a really thick peice of pvc pipe, this box is only kinda temporary till spring when its warmer out and will spend more time on it

cshaw
12-28-2008, 01:54 AM
its good practice to have atleast a ports width away from anything. if its closer you could run into port noise and other fun stuff

Etac
12-28-2008, 01:56 AM
well the only way thats happening is if i switch to three inch ports or if i point the ports in another direction.. but its a trunk setup and wanted to keep them aiming together

like i said its only till spring maybe ill just go with it for now and see how it goes

but if you ahd to choose between less of a gap or less port space, what do you think is hould go with? or i could fit three three with about 2.5 inches between them

cshaw
12-28-2008, 02:07 AM
well 1.5 away from the wall w/ a 4 inch port is a bit too close even with a flared port. is there anyway to turn the port inside the box, if you have an elbow that is? whats the setup? same as in your sig?

Etac
12-28-2008, 03:00 AM
yeah for now.. i didnt think about elbowing em... that could be done

and just to make sure you ppl know (you probaly do) im not talking about depth being the problem but the side wall...not the back wall

cshaw
12-28-2008, 04:31 PM
oh, then your good. if the ports are flared, you got nothing to worry about. but even if there is some port noise its in a trunk and it really wont bother ya. got some pics of the box for kicks?