PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre question

gymfreak101
12-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I got a yamaha reciever for x-mas and was wondering if this would work. I have hdmi but for video pass through only and carries no audio signal. Right now I have the ps3 and my directtv hddvr hooked up straight to the tv via hdmi , could I just run a toslink from the output on the tv to the reciever or do I need to to run a toslink from both the ps3 and the dvr to the reciever?

Enellz
12-27-2008, 10:59 PM
What yamaha reciever brand do you have. I just brought one today from bestbuy and it works lovely. So you have no sound coming out the reciever?

kpozr2
12-27-2008, 11:30 PM
ps3 and dvr to TV via 2 HDMI's. then toslink or optical out from the tv to the reciever. Although idk why your hdmi audio is not workin, as it is suppose to carry VIDEO( up to 1080p) and up to 7 channels of audio. keep troubleshooting and you might be able to avoid the optical cable

gymfreak101
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
What yamaha reciever brand do you have. I just brought one today from bestbuy and it works lovely. So you have no sound coming out the reciever?

yht-390bl

gymfreak101
12-28-2008, 12:28 AM
ps3 and dvr to TV via 2 HDMI's. then toslink or optical out from the tv to the reciever. Although idk why your hdmi audio is not workin, as it is suppose to carry VIDEO( up to 1080p) and up to 7 channels of audio. keep troubleshooting and you might be able to avoid the optical cable

the reciever is video pass through only, the video pass through works flawless, the reciever states it does not carry audio through the hdmi, I am going to just run it like you stated to avoid always having to have the reciever on to listen to the tv.

fasfocus00
12-28-2008, 12:47 AM
HDMI pass through only does video and cannot recognize audio.

if you run an HDMI to the TV than the TV would be acting as your receiver.

me personally i'd us the TV as the monitor that it is and run just an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. i'd run an HDMI and fiber optic from each source unit to the receiver.

AudioJunkie73
12-31-2008, 03:11 AM
I have a Yamaha receiver also. Rx-V559 I have my Blue-Ray and Direct Tv going to TV with HDMI. Then I have both going to reciever with fiber optic cable. That way I can watch tv w/ or w/o reciver on.

You may have to tell what ever is not geting sound that it is going through a HDMI in your sound settings.

Flipx99
12-31-2008, 10:11 AM
I run HDMI to my TV. Optical to my receiver. I see no reason to buy two HDMI cords.

gymfreak101
12-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I run HDMI to my TV. Optical to my receiver. I see no reason to buy two HDMI cords.

yea I kept it as hdmi from dvr and ps3 straight to tv , then just got 2 fiber optic cables and ran from ps3 and dvr to reciever getting full dolby digital. Money I saved from not buying the hdmi I bought th Logitech harmony 880 remote.

Enellz
12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
That's how I did with my old samsung receiver.