PDA

View Full Version : wtf... kenwood question

Bayer
12-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a kenwood DDX512 that I just installed and Purchased a USB thumb drive for. When I plug the drive into the USB input it will not read that there is something plugged in. I was able to get it to work with an old drive but not with the new one. Any suggestions? It is a scandisk cruzer 16 GB drive if that makes a difference.
EDIT: I just formatted to a FAT 32 file system. That didnt work either.

jlwardn
12-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I have the DDX812 and it worked perfect for me. It just might not like that thumb drive.
I ended up buying a used laptop 30 gb hard drive off of ebay for $15. For another $10 I was able to buy a USB enclosure. It recognized everything perfectly. 30GB of music at my fingertips for less than $30

edzy
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
try a smaller thumb drive. some kenwoods will only read up to a 4gig. not sure if that model is one or not. Most ppl running large drives have them externaly powered. btw, it may damage the usb voltage curcuit.
so, try a 2 gig and go up.

edzy
12-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I have the DDX812 and it worked perfect for me. It just might not like that thumb drive.
I ended up buying a used laptop 30 gb hard drive off of ebay for $15. For another $10 I was able to buy a USB enclosure. It recognized everything perfectly. 30GB of music at my fingertips for less than $30

is that powered by the thumb drive?

Bayer
12-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the quick replies. After I formatted the drive I was able to get it to read but initial loading is still pretty slow. I may try a few other things but this may be the best I can do. How quickly does that laptop drive register on the 812? That may be a better option

Bayer
12-27-2008, 10:33 PM
ok so heres an update: I was able to get the usb to play by formatting to FAT 32. When I select list view, only up to the letter J are able to be played. The rest of the artists are visible, but greyed out and unable to be selected, and only half of Juelz Santana's albums will play. This might be the 4 gig problem suggested earlier. I hope not. Any one know more about why a 30 gig laptot drive will play on the DDX 812 but not on the DDX 512? Maybe I'll call Kenwood after the holiday weekend.