PDA

View Full Version : Flared Port

rmzsuzuki89
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I've seen a few flared ports and like the look. I'm about to start a new build and think I'm going to give it a try. This will be my first time trying a flared port. So my question is, how do I go about curving the wood?

Pioneer~Saturn
12-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Make slits/cuts on the back of the sheet of mdf almost entirely through the board so that it bends.

NewAgeKing
12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Just make the slits like stated. Fill the slits with woodglue. Ive even done wood projects in school that we needed to bend. We used a steamer while bending to make it easier.

rmzsuzuki89
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok thanks, is there a special trick so it doesn't damage the other side at all, or will it just not?

NewAgeKing
12-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Just cut the slits almost to the other side. Bend it slowely. Once you have your bend fill it with wood glue, smooth it out, and let it sit over night to dry. Sand off your access glue. Id practice on some other wood because its tricky.

rmzsuzuki89
12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Just cut the slits almost to the other side. Bend it slowely. Once you have your bend fill it with wood glue, smooth it out, and let it sit over night to dry. Sand off your access glue. Id practice on some other wood because its tricky.

Ok cool, sounds doable with some practice.

NewAgeKing
12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes there are a couple tricks that you learn as you go. I think the first few slits you make should be further apart then the rest but i cant remember. Maybe search for some build logs to check it out.