PDA

View Full Version : First box. Need help

JamesKarr
12-23-2008, 04:32 AM
building my first box wednesday. I need any kind of pointers.

Best type of glue to use?

Do I need to caulk or seal the inside at all other than glue?

What type of screws?

How you attach the double baffle part? Just glue the boards together?

SSS 18734
12-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Wood Glue. Elmer's wood glue works well for me.

Seal the inside with caulk or silicone after everything has dried.

1 5/8 wood screws

Double baffle = glue + lots of pressure.

Pioneer~Saturn
12-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I would strongly recommend titebond II and 1 5/8" drywall screws (coarse thread)...then once its all done and you arent sure if its sealed you could put a run of clear silicon along each seam on the inside of the enclosure.

As for the double baffle, try this....put the two sheets ontop of eachother and hold them firm so they dont slide...in two opposite corners/areas of the boards drill holes through the first sheet and a bit into the next sheet...then lay down some wood glue all over the top of the second sheet (inbetween the sheets)

Now, put the top sheet back on and take 1 1/4" drywall screws and tighten them down into those two holes...no go about drilling holes and tightening screws throughout the boards so theyre held together...this will hold them together and the 1 1/4" screws wont poke ou the other side :)

Like this (for just two sheets)..

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/DougRoosa/DSCN2051.jpg

Or this if your doing sheets that involve mounting a sub/sountersinking a sub..

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/DougRoosa/4.jpg

Ellsworthz
12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Everyone seems to use Tightbond II for some reason, just use it. caulk the insides, try to make it look clean. since its your first box i assume you wont need a double baffle (prolly not large subs).

JamesKarr
12-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I am planning on going to menards tomorrow monring and grabbing everything I need. I was actually thinking of doing exactly what Pioneer saturn said. Thanks for the pics! Now my plans need to come tonight:crying:

PS. Im on 56k out in the boonies. haha what a joke.

DonH
12-23-2008, 09:33 PM
yeah u need 1 5/8 wood screws, strong glue that doesnt set to quick! i used elmers wood glue, and like 6 clamps! also make sure u counter sink all ur screws! looks nicer! and just some tile sealer for every corner. smudge it in there with ur finger! but make sure u take it off before it dry's cuz some of them will burn you! happened to me!

JamesKarr
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Got my plans! What kind of screws do you use to mount the sub?

Any other input before I start the madness tomorrow morning?