PDA

View Full Version : Right Tweeter/Woofer sounds good but the left is extremely low output? Why?

D1g1tal V3n0m
12-23-2008, 04:16 AM
So after running fine all day long I get in my car to leave work (It is 15 degrees outside) and I notice my right channel is working great but my left channel is very very very low. Why?

I swapped the RCA channel from L to R and back
I pulled the power wires from my amp to my crossover and swapped them from L to R + and -
I then go and pull my head unit and try swapping my RCA there as well as swapping it from Front output to Rear output
I swapped the Crossover for the components with a new Crossover I had (Same model/brand)

Still getting the very very low volume ONLY on the left Tweeter and Mid.

I am still getting the normal and great output from my right components but my left is very very low (I have to adjust balance all the way to the left and turn volume up to barely hear it). The sound is extremely recessed on top of being low (Though I am sure they go hand in hand)

I've checked everything that I can (15 degrees outside working on this ******.) The tweeters were both hooked up using silver solder and wiring the tweeters wire to the stock tweeter wire and then splitting at the HU Harness to the crossover. The Mids had all new 16 gauge wire ran to them.

The set up ran fine for a few weeks before now the left side going near silent.

So with that said.... Any ideas?

shaneb
12-23-2008, 04:23 AM
2 things
After changing all that stuff,. it stayed on the left side?
what kind of speakers and what kind of HU and processor?

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 04:27 AM
i've had this problem before, it is likely a short somewhere. At least from what i read.

D1g1tal V3n0m
12-23-2008, 04:40 AM
i've had this problem before, it is likely a short somewhere. At least from what i read.

I thought it could just be the wires but it is weird that the tweeter wire which is run separately from the woofer wire would both develop shorts at the same time. Tweeter wire runs through Molex in the door and woofer wire runs through a separate place in door.

The other weird thing is there is output (I can hear the voices, music and such) but it is very low and very recessed. If you don't change the balance fully to the left the right side will overtake it.

2 things
After changing all that stuff,. it stayed on the left side?
what kind of speakers and what kind of HU and processor?

Stayed on the left side the entire time regardless of all troubleshooting.

Diamond Audio M651i and the crossovers that came with it (Wire goes into terminals that are built into the basket and screws hold them in)
Clarion HX-D10- I've checked the settings (Though it has a limited number of settings and none that would cause this issue to arise.)

shaneb
12-23-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm thinking, depending on his HU.
and if he narrowed it down to the left side no matter what he changes wires to.

Okay, just saw your post.
Make sure the phase isn't switched on the HU if you are capable of that, I'm only familiar with the DRZ and DXZ955mc.
Also, make sure you are in phase on ur speaker connection on the xover and on the amp.
Also, depending on your crossover settings, you could be running a weird phase from them. Did you play with the processing ande this happened?

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 04:45 AM
i had a short as soon as i touched the tweeter to the mid terminal. I couldn't figure out why. Your problem though, i'm not sure of.

D1g1tal V3n0m
12-23-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm thinking, depending on his HU.
and if he narrowed it down to the left side no matter what he changes wires to.

Okay, just saw your post.
Make sure the phase isn't switched on the HU if you are capable of that, I'm only familiar with the DRZ and DXZ955mc.
Also, make sure you are in phase on ur speaker connection on the xover and on the amp.
Also, depending on your crossover settings, you could be running a weird phase from them. Did you play with the processing ande this happened?

The HX-D10 is a older model. Was built for SQ only. It's basic the grandfather to the 9255 and such.

There are no settings in the unit for Phase.

I went to lunch and came back and everything was playing fine. I went to leave work and that is when I noticed this problem. I changed no settings, adjusted nothing on the amp, changed no wires or anything when I came back from lunch or went to leave.. I came home and did all the troubleshooting I listed above and still having the same issue.

I honestly know it is probably something simple but I can't figure it out at all. I've done everything I know to do.

shaneb
12-23-2008, 05:01 AM
The HX-D10 is a older model. Was built for SQ only. It's basic the grandfather to the 9255 and such.

There are no settings in the unit for Phase.

I went to lunch and came back and everything was playing fine. I went to leave work and that is when I noticed this problem. I changed no settings, adjusted nothing on the amp, changed no wires or anything when I came back from lunch or went to leave.. I came home and did all the troubleshooting I listed above and still having the same issue.

I honestly know it is probably something simple but I can't figure it out at all. I've done everything I know to do.

Lol, yeah it's drivin' me crazy, its either something simple, or your speakers went poof somehow. But that's not what it sounds like.
Hm....
is it the tweeter too or just the mid? hm...
i don't know man. maybe someone else will have another idea.

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 05:10 AM
i'm telling you man. It is a short somewhere in between the tweeter and mid. I have no idea how it happened, but it's that. You are experiencing the exact same thing i did about 3 months ago, except mine was on the right side. Try disconnecting the tweeter from the mid and i bet your mid will work again, your tweeter won't though.

edit: i didn't read all of it, so i am not sure if your tweeters are connected to your mid, but if they are then try it.

shaneb
12-23-2008, 05:37 AM
I thought it could just be the wires but it is weird that the tweeter wire which is run separately from the woofer wire would both develop shorts at the same time. Tweeter wire runs through Molex in the door and woofer wire runs through a separate place in door.

The other weird thing is there is output (I can hear the voices, music and such) but it is very low and very recessed. If you don't change the balance fully to the left the right side will overtake it.

:veryhapp:

this is crazy.
it sounds like its out of phase lol.
or what u said.
i think his speakers went to crap.

D1g1tal V3n0m
12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I think that the tweeter is out of phase. I came out today and the mid sounds like it is fine but it may as well be out of phase. When I get the chance I plan on changing the + and - on the X-over

reed dollaz
12-26-2008, 10:31 PM
sounds like the other side is out of phase. check your wiring.