PDA

View Full Version : Loudness on or off on head unit?

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I was messing with my head unit today and decided to go ahead and turn the "loudness" on high just to try it out. After i did that, i was impressed because the music sounded so much more real. My question is, does "loudness" cause clipping? If so, isn't it only boosting the peaks of frequencies?

RAM_Designs
12-23-2008, 12:47 AM
loudness = fail

If you need loudness on in order to enjoy the sound of your stereo, you have some problems to take care of.

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 12:49 AM
how do yo know it's fail? Like i said, i just turned it on and thought it sounded better. I haven't used it in this setup at all yet until now.

shaneb
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM
All it does is typically add a 12db slope to lows and highs designed for lower volume listening
. that would be considered Dirty Power
lame. if you need it to get your sound "real" then you need a new system. more sub and more front end. and tuned

Louisiana_CRX
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM
never use the loudness!!!!...loudness ='s total FAIL :fyi:

Grinder1989
12-23-2008, 12:51 AM
OFF!

/thread

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 12:51 AM
All it does is typically add a 12db slope to lows and highs
it distorts the clarity. that would be considered Dirty Power
lame. if you need it to get your sound "real" then you need a new system. more sub and more front end. and tuned

Trust me, i don't even need to think about getting a new front stage. Anyway, i am going to turn it off now.

thaster
12-23-2008, 12:52 AM
if it sounds good to you, turn it on then

Bass Addict
12-23-2008, 12:52 AM
i would have to agree,after reading something in another thread,i went out and turned my loudness off and man what a difference.

mokedaddy
12-23-2008, 12:54 AM
:laugh:

Loud can actually be beneficial if you are listening at low volumes. Normal listening level I would say turn it off.

If it makes a huge difference at normal listening levels you should probably retune.

germandark
12-23-2008, 12:57 AM
@ low levels it doesn't have too much potential to do damage to anything. when you being to up the volume on your source unit. you are gradually increasing the current and voltage of the already boosted signal to the speakers. imagine taking the "boosted" sound and multiplying it, in a sense. bbe, loud, dynamic engines. anything that modifies a signal to "sound better" is not really better.

read into it more.

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 12:57 AM
:laugh:

Loud can actually be beneficial if you are listening at low volumes. Normal listening level I would say turn it off.

If it makes a huge difference at normal listening levels you should probably retune.

that makes sense. I just turned it off and said fvck it. Thanks though, it was just bothering me turning it on because i didn't think it was good for my system.

46panel
12-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I wouldnt use it...but if you want it on and it sounds better to you keep it i guess

DBDRAGGUY
12-23-2008, 12:59 AM
if it sounds good to you, turn it on then

agreed, if it suits your taste then go with it.

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
alright guys, thanks. I turned off.

adam71
12-23-2008, 06:28 PM
alright guys, thanks. I turned off.

It is true that you shouldn't need the loudness on to enjoy your music. But if you enjoy the way your system sounds with it on then just adjust your EQ accordingly.

MTX520
12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
It is true that you shouldn't need the loudness on to enjoy your music. But if you enjoy the way your system sounds with it on then just adjust your EQ accordingly.

true on that^^^^^^^^^....if you like it keep it on...

jco1385
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
i keeps mines off. as with boost and all that other ****

adam71
12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
true on that^^^^^^^^^....if you like it keep it on...

Don't get me wrong I don't think he should leave it on. I mean if the boost in the low and high frequencies (which is what the loudness does) sounds better than boost them with the EQ....NOT the loudness.

James Bang
12-25-2008, 06:45 PM
commence the clippage!

in2bass
02-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Wow.. Ive been running with Loudness enabled throughout the years without any issues. I guess I just got used to the way it sounds and stuck with it, I never really thought of any potential damage that may occur..

My current head unit has a Low / Mid and High loudness setting and I went straight for the High setting after first installing it (Pioneer Premier P690UB)

But after reading this thread I'm curious how it sounds with loudness disabled .. ill have to mess with it.

TurdFergueson2
02-12-2009, 02:44 AM
I used loudness when I was using that HU back in the day as well. I kept it on mid. After swapping out to better equipment loudness makes my settings worse. I never use it not even to demo.

BTW nice bump for an old Endofdays89n00bixcubexinfinity thread

in2bass
02-12-2009, 02:48 AM
I used loudness when I was using that HU back in the day as well. I kept it on mid. After swapping out to better equipment loudness makes my settings worse. I never use it not even to demo.

I was actually curious about the loudness setting and this thread popped up during a search. :nerd:

adam71
02-12-2009, 05:19 AM

I was actually curious about the loudness setting and this thread popped up during a search. :nerd:

Yeah, whats he supposed to do? If a new guy does a search then he gets made fun of for bringing up an old thread. If he doesn't he gets made fun of for NOT searching. You just can't win with some people.:rolleyes:

headless
02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
It's not really so much bringing up an old thread as much as reminding us of endofdays idiocy.
This thread wasn't too bad.
He brought us such golden nuggets as:
"read up on sunspots, they are a sign the sun is possibly going to pull itself towards the earth.", like sunspots are ****ing solar deathstars or something and haven't been happening for****ingever
and
"there's no audible difference between crossing your front speakers over at 100hz vs. at 60hz" like our ears just can't hear a 40+hz range of frequencies

along with plenty of other idiocy

in2bass
02-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Wow what a differance turning off loudness made .. I just had to adjust the EQ and my subwoofer level on the headunit. My lights dont dim nearly as bad either even tho it still feels like its pounding the same. (Shrug).

systemdesignz
02-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Nice setup in2bass.

eharri3
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I have only ever tried it once on a head unit for a minute just to see what it sounded like. A 300 watt front stage=no loudness necessary.