PDA

View Full Version : Befuddled 2

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Sorry I ruffled some feathers, that was not my intent. I meant to ask why would you even consider something so loud? Other than annoying others, you can't possibly stand to listen to it in your vehicle, you'd suffer hearing damage. I don't have a SPL meter, but calculations indicate 127dB (+3 for the other speaker) in my home. Yeah, thats at a meter,etc. Its far too loud for anyone to take for more than a few (very few) seconds without discomfort. I like rock, don't get me wrong, but SRV actually hurts. I'm old so my ears aren't as sensitive as most of yours. 130dB is nothing compared to 140dB, let alone 150. I suppose if most of it is bass it may not hurt as much as one responder deftly pointed out. English major at another's expense no doubt. Parse this and bill your daddy. Buy American, the job you save may well be your own.

dumple
12-22-2008, 03:03 AM
SPL competitions

endofdays89
Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

Here are some interesting numbers, collected from a variety of sources, that help one to understand the volume levels of various sources and how they can affect our hearing.

Environmental Noise
Weakest sound heard 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library 30dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3' 107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
Power saw at 3' 110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure
Hours per day Sound level
8 90dB
6 92dB
4 95dB
3 97dB
2 100dB
1.5 102dB
1 105dB
.5 110dB
.25 or less 115dB

dumple
its a gigantic world it made it onto mythbusters even people build ridiculously loud systems to compete against one another

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 03:06 AM
it says a gun blast is 140 db, if that is the case how could anyone stand to listen to 150 db for even 10 seconds? I shot a few guns in my day that were around 140 db and it hurt my ears bad.

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 03:14 AM
it says a gun blast is 140 db, if that is the case how could anyone stand to listen to 150 db for even 10 seconds? I shot a few guns in my day that were around 140 db and it hurt my ears bad.

When I go shooting I wear hearing protection. I like to enjoy my music.

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 03:16 AM

me too, every time i hear a gunshot it fvcks me up.

dumple
12-22-2008, 03:16 AM

im on your page there, in the previous thread i stated i "grew" out of the all boom no music stage. Now id prefer to hear the music and have it sound great.

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 03:18 AM
SPL competitions

I guess. I just fail to see the point. Loud is just loud, it doesn't have to sound good. I like music myself. If it doesn't sound good why bother? Could well be an empty trophy if it sounds like ****.

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 03:19 AM
I guess. I just fail to see the point. Loud is just loud, it doesn't have to sound good. I like music myself. If it doesn't sound good why bother? Could well be an empty trophy if it sounds like ****.

so u dont like spl?

dumple
12-22-2008, 03:20 AM

like i said to each their own you like audiophile sound quality others like extreme SPL levels

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 03:23 AM
how loud is a 150 car stereo anyway? I have heard a loud one, but i don't know if it was that loud.

shaneb
12-22-2008, 03:23 AM
its a gigantic world it made it onto mythbusters even people build ridiculously loud systems to compete against one another

what was the episode called?
im interested

dumple
12-22-2008, 03:26 AM
what was the episode called?
im interested

youtube megawoofer mythbusters

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 03:34 AM
so u dont like spl?

Not at all, ask my old lady. I crank em up (too loud) and have tinnitus because of it. Lynyrd Skynyrd Second Helping among others have that effect. The 800W powered Klipsch sub just rattles ****, the floorstanders get downright painful. The ****** part of it is now that I could actually afford this kind of stereo there are few others to share it with, all married with kids etc. Me and my dog usually, and an occaisional escapee.

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Not at all, ask my old lady. I crank em up (too loud) and have tinnitus because of it. Lynyrd Skynyrd Second Helping among others have that effect. The 800W powered Klipsch sub just rattles ****, the floorstanders get downright painful. The ****** part of it is now that I could actually afford this kind of stereo there are few others to share it with, all married with kids etc. Me and my dog usually, and an occaisional escapee.

pics?

Stephen_c
12-22-2008, 03:43 AM

Stephen_c
12-22-2008, 03:43 AM
lol cant call him that i guess

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 03:48 AM
missinglink, I'm so intrigued. Please tell me more. here's my bank account number....

alvitae
12-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Why does my friend have an A altered fuelie dragster in his garage? Can't drive it to the store. The thing goes faster than the speed limit in a few feet. /shrug.

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Not judging or being an ***, but why are you here? Sounds like you are a home audiophile. And anyone is more than welcome here, i believe, but coming at us with insults on your first post is not a good way to get answers. If you are really interested, tone down the assumptions and do a little research about our hobby. Then ask questions about the things that apply to your needs.

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Why does my friend have an A altered fuelie dragster in his garage? Can't drive it to the store. The thing goes faster than the speed limit in a few feet. /shrug.

That makes sense. I bet he wears hearing protection. Unless he crashes, he gets out of the car in the same condition he got in. Going fast and ruining your ears are not quite the same thing. I've been on a jet that's faster than his car, so what??? The aircraft mechanics and baggage carriers wear hearing protection. /shrug.

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 03:59 AM
OP, i want to hear more about your car setup, how loud is it?

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:00 AM
yea

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:01 AM
OP, i want to hear more about your car setup, how loud is it?

he has house speakers in his car. thats hood

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:01 AM
not drunk enough i guess

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 04:04 AM
he has house speakers in his car. thats hood

definitely hood, :laugh: i think he is a troll

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:05 AM
definitely hood, :laugh: i think he is a troll

u mean like a little monster under a bridge? dirty and smell like ***

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 04:05 AM
not drunk enough i guess

Ninja edit! LOL.

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Ninja edit! LOL.

yes zir some one's gota be on top of bad posts....

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:09 AM
i wish i couldbend my knee so i could get comfy in bed

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:10 AM
i wish i couldbend my knee so i could get comfy in bed

yea man that would be cool. here's a idea why dont u stay up all night and just chill and talk with me cuz that what im doin? man i got my surgery soon im so nervous they gona cut in to my right hand . then when thats better there gona do the same to my left.

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 04:14 AM
What up with your hands?

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:17 AM
What up with your hands?

i got something called jersey fingers on both hands. i was in a car accident u can see a pic under my username .I dont work no more cuz of the work i did i need to have use of both my hands and why not stay home and get 80% of my paycheck each month.

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:19 AM
dude this is the second time they cut into this knee and i can walk around easier this time but i cant move it for ish. i took the bandages of earlier and its ugly as fawk surgery ***** man.
Went to the hospital got registered at 730 didnt get into the OR till 1230 spent 6 hours in a hospital bed watching sports center 60030032432 times because the hospital gets like 5 channels 2 were religious stations one had nothing playing sports center and like some ****** talk shows were on the others

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Operations able to fix it 100%?

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:21 AM
when u said jersey i thought of the dirty state lol. so like it poped ligaments or something in your finger? grip the wheel tight?

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:25 AM
the meds they gave me make me sick and or wired

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:26 AM
dude this is the second time they cut into this knee and i can walk around easier this time but i cant move it for ish. i took the bandages of earlier and its ugly as fawk surgery ***** man.
Went to the hospital got registered at 730 didnt get into the OR till 1230 spent 6 hours in a hospital bed watching sports center 60030032432 times because the hospital gets like 5 channels 2 were religious stations one had nothing playing sports center and like some ****** talk shows were on the others

yea im not sure what they gona do with me. i wonder if there gona keep me after the surgery. what u think they gona do? i have a preopt about a week befor the surgery they gona take blood and **** from me. they gona find alot of stuff that should not be there lol

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:31 AM
i dunno they gotta open up your hand could be a short procedure or it could be longer i dunno mine i woke up from the surgery about 2 and was on my way home at about 4 i took the bandages and **** off today it looks nasty lol er it did before i showered right now its just kinda puffy and some stitches and a lilblood. Im prolly going to get my right knee scoped again before i turn 21 so my mommas heath care plan pays for it, god bless the teachers union and her slammin heathcare package

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:36 AM
yea im gona be so messed up there gona have me all drug up lol. i wonder how many follow up vist im gona have. see im with out a car and my mom dont drive this gona be fun lol. i have a few questions im gona have to go over with the dr.

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:36 AM
wtf is ca so slooooow

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:37 AM
wtf is ca so slooooow

u mean the site takein along time to load a page? that how it is all the time its start around 230 am eastern time for me and last all the way to 5 am

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:38 AM
yea its crazy i remember talking to the anesthesiologist and him saying good night then boom i was knocked lol that **** is crazy like it took like 30 seconds for me to pass out for a few hours.

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:39 AM
yea its crazy i remember talking to the anesthesiologist and him saying good night then boom i was knocked lol that **** is crazy like it took like 30 seconds for me to pass out for a few hours.

yea this is not gona be good. im gona wake up and be like hiting on the woman there and im gona be talkin about stuff i should not that what happens when im on all that crap.

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:39 AM
is it bad that im 20 years old and i still snoop in my moms room for xmas gifts

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:41 AM
is it bad that im 20 years old and i still snoop in my moms room for xmas gifts

im 24 i dont get any gifts to poor . i was gona buy my own gifts tell about 5 hours ago. i found out my cell phone bill is 206.42. i might just get some beer and call it a day lol

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:45 AM
well xmas isnt what it used to be maybe 1 big gift and like some jeans or something

so this year i know im getting an ipod i had to go with my mom to pick it out she didnt know what to buy (she wanted to buy the purple nano) anywho i got a 120gig black ipod classic
my brother bought me gears2 and i think i got an eagles jersey which would be sweet my other one got all kinds of ****ed up. Like i said when i was a youngin id get tons of ****. I also just got a brand new clutch for my car so i told my mom she didnt have to get me anything really im plenty happy with a new clutch.

dumple
12-22-2008, 04:46 AM
howd u get in an accident ur car looks pretty muffed up

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 04:52 AM
i just brought this woman home then i was on the way back to my place sunday 1 am . i went threw a intersection i had the green light and this d-bag hit me i went in to a poll then threw a fense up to this guys house . yea it was bad i have a fx in my lower back and to fingers messed up. I just hope to get some money out of this to get a car. Im on disabilty i dont work no more its weird im home all day. i go out but u know what i mean i get money to stay at home.

JimJ
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Sorry I ruffled some feathers, that was not my intent. I meant to ask why would you even consider something so loud? Other than annoying others, you can't possibly stand to listen to it in your vehicle, you'd suffer hearing damage. I don't have a SPL meter, but calculations indicate 127dB (+3 for the other speaker) in my home. Yeah, thats at a meter,etc. Its far too loud for anyone to take for more than a few (very few) seconds without discomfort. I like rock, don't get me wrong, but SRV actually hurts. I'm old so my ears aren't as sensitive as most of yours. 130dB is nothing compared to 140dB, let alone 150. I suppose if most of it is bass it may not hurt as much as one responder deftly pointed out. English major at another's expense no doubt. Parse this and bill your daddy. Buy American, the job you save may well be your own.

What do you think would happen if someone made a post on AK going after people's vintage gear, claiming it's outdated, and that they should get "real" speakers instead? How long do you think that'd be there before Grumpy deletes it? :)

This is why both sides can't understand each other...if you have honest questions about car audio, then by all means, ask them - but lose the holier-than-thou complex. I've learned long ago that if people want to listen to rap music and put gaudy wheels on their cars, let them - it may not be my personal choice, but as long as I don't have to listen to it every day I don't really care.

mjf
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Arrogance will get you nowhere moron. I don't have a single concern of your age and that you feel by having years on me you deserve some kind of respect. Arrogance will only gain you the same in return, because that's the most you deserve.

I'm not an english major, as i find that particularly boring; however comprehension of the language you speak on a daily basis should be a paramount part of your life. Since you don't even seem to have the basis of that concept I have little interest in trying to have an argument could possibly lead to some conversation.

And I'll buy Toyota, who has a plant based in Kentucky and would do more for the workers in this country that any of the automakers here ever would to support its own people. You're clearly still one of the morons whose biggest justification for buying something would be that its "American made" when most of the stuff that has that claim is outsourced to other countries such as Mexico because the labor is extensively cheaper than here and they can treat the workers like crap.

But I'll let your ignorance continue, as I actually find it to be rather funny. Wisdom comes with age, except maybe in your case.

McIntosh
12-23-2008, 01:17 AM
What do you think would happen if someone made a post on AK going after people's vintage gear, claiming it's outdated, and that they should get "real" speakers instead? How long do you think that'd be there before Grumpy deletes it? :)

This is why both sides can't understand each other...if you have honest questions about car audio, then by all means, ask them - but lose the holier-than-thou complex. I've learned long ago that if people want to listen to rap music and put gaudy wheels on their cars, let them - it may not be my personal choice, but as long as I don't have to listen to it every day I don't really care.

Point well taken.

Pioneer~Saturn
12-23-2008, 01:22 AM

That's why my moto is 'tuning high is for fegz' :D....gotta get loud, but still stay nice n low to listen to your favorite music on the way there without sounding like crap

McIntosh
12-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Since you don't even seem to have the basis of that concept I have little interest in trying to have an argument could possibly lead to some conversation.

Um, OK. You're far too developed for me to have an argument could possibly lead, well anywhere. There is indeed a moron here. Have a mirror handy?

McIntosh
12-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Not judging or being an ***, but why are you here? Sounds like you are a home audiophile. And anyone is more than welcome here, i believe, but coming at us with insults on your first post is not a good way to get answers. If you are really interested, tone down the assumptions and do a little research about our hobby. Then ask questions about the things that apply to your needs.

I may or may not be an audiophile, I sorta dislike the term myself. I like music, undistorted quality reproduction of audio the way it was recorded. Rattling the bumpers off the car next to you is hardly the way it was intended to sound. If you take that as an insult, so be it. Go to any live concert and it won't sound that way. Why? Certainly not because they can't make it sound that way. The band could surely devote 95%+ of their power to bass if they chose. Cuts down on their overhead with only a bassist and a kickdrum. I find it an insult to musicians reducing their work to bass. As to how loud my car stereo is, plenty loud to cause permanent hearing damage. 100W/ch with efficient speakers in ANY car or truck will hurt you. Hood??? I assume "ghetto" or just not cool looking. Cars **** as they're rectanglular necessitating poor speaker placement with ****** acoustics as a rule. Having three way cabinets in the back certainly takes away my cargo hauling abilities, but sounds quite good. After all "car" stereos can only hope to mimic the real thing. Dash, door, pillar whatever mounts have no cabinets. You can try to compensate, but in the end you'll simply be trying to make a cabinet. Put one Klipshorn (if it'll fit) in your back seat. Feed it 30 watts. Then run like hell. Feed it more? Run faster. I guess that's "hood".

1rockford1
12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
hood

McIntosh
12-23-2008, 02:33 AM
wigger

1rockford1
12-23-2008, 02:34 AM
wigger

sh it thats so funny. 1998

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 02:36 AM
concert and car stereos are two different things. When i listen to rap ( not very much) i like to hear the loud bass and don't really care as long as i can hear the highs well, which i can. When listening to other genres of music, like metal/rock/ country or whatever, i like to hear the instruments and get the real sound that i would get at a concert. It is two totally different things here, so what is your point? If you never listen to rap, then you probably shouldn't comment on it because all it is, is bass and loud vocals. that's it.

edit: There are many people who don't even like other genres of music other than rap, so if they want bass that can be heard from a mile away, then why is it wrong to have it?

mjf
12-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Um, OK. You're far too developed for me to have an argument could possibly lead, well anywhere. There is indeed a moron here. Have a mirror handy?

No, but I'm rather sure you do.

Maybe that skull of yours has just gotten thicker with age.:rolleyes:

1rockford1
12-23-2008, 02:38 AM
No, but I'm rather sure you do.

lol.

tacovic
12-23-2008, 02:39 AM
so how is it secured then?
have fun with a missle in your car if you get into an accident.
and car audio and home audio are 2 totally different things that try to accomplish different goals. so this is stupid.

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 02:42 AM
and car audio and home audio are 2 totally different things that try to accomplish different goals. so this is stupid.

exactly

McIntosh
12-23-2008, 02:58 AM

Possibly so. Ask your mom when she tucks you in what she thinks. And NO MORE TONGUE, the sargeant will know.

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Possibly so. Ask your mom when she tucks you in what she thinks. And NO MORE TONGUE, the sargeant will know.

fail

McIntosh
12-23-2008, 03:09 AM

Well strapped down with 10klb straps. They aren't going anywhere. As to car vs. home audio being two different things, they aren't to me. I want faithful reproduction. Maybe that's the gist of my misunderstanding. My goals are the same, good sound. Is it stupid to try for good sound in a vehicle as opposed to spl?

endofdays89
12-23-2008, 03:12 AM
Well strapped down with 10klb straps. They aren't going anywhere. As to car vs. home audio being two different things, they aren't to me. I want faithful reproduction. Maybe that's the gist of my misunderstanding. My goals are the same, good sound. Is it stupid to try for good sound in a vehicle as opposed to spl?

can we please see pics? How do we know your not one of these?

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/1051/troll2zq8.jpg

tacovic
12-23-2008, 03:15 AM

well there are amps and speakers and subs that are designed for sound quality. not everybody is in it for spl, alot of guys build some pretty sweet SQ vehicles as well. so try searching a little bit next time before you make yourself sound like an ***.

mjf
12-23-2008, 03:17 AM

Not fully misguided, but the actual path in order to obtain it is completely different in each environment.

Therefore the actual application of each piece of equipment has different intended purposes, and the comparison to a car vs. home scenario cannot be argued when it is effectively impossible to gain the same results due to different spaces.

mjf
12-23-2008, 03:20 AM

Ah, the effort you are making here is rather funny. But alas I'd rather watch you continue to struggle trying to make an argument when you refuse to accept opposition.

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 12:49 AM
can we please see pics? How do we know your not one of these?

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/1051/troll2zq8.jpg

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow as I'll probably be out there installing my new receiver (aka HU I guess) my old Alpine 7337 is finally being replaced. I'm not ready to call it an upgrade because I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna like the new style menu/encoder BS versus shafts. CDs will be fine though. I bought another Alpine hoping to "plug and play", apparently they abandoned the old DIN cables some time ago. Alpine couldn't even find me a pinout. The old girl served me well (1983ish) The EQ is gone as well. The new one (CDA-9886) appears to have adequate control without an EQ, I guess we'll see. I didn't spring for the imprint addon as it seems kinda pricey for what it purports to do. Oh well, new cables are all pulled, seats/carpet reinstalled. Now its plug and play (I hope). Anyone have comments (pro or con) on the imprint? My instincts tell me it won't be needed.

JimJ
12-24-2008, 01:03 AM

I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment :)

The new one (CDA-9886) appears to have adequate control without an EQ, I guess we'll see. I didn't spring for the imprint addon as it seems kinda pricey for what it purports to do. Oh well, new cables are all pulled, seats/carpet reinstalled. Now its plug and play (I hope). Anyone have comments (pro or con) on the imprint? My instincts tell me it won't be needed.

I wouldn't bother with the Imprint, but having separate EQ ability per channel can be a very useful thing. I agree about in-car mounting requiring some compromises in speaker placement, but I'm just wondering - have you heard a vehicle built for SQ competition, like an IASCA or MECA event? :)

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 01:08 AM
the comparison to a car vs. home scenario cannot be argued when it is effectively impossible to gain the same results due to different spaces.

Interesting albeit nonsense. Rooms come in a wide variety of sizes, textures and shapes. Vehicles vary much less of course. With the exception of a shag carpeted cargo van, most vehicles have a lot of reflections (glass) and no place for a real enclosure. Dashboards, door panels and the like are not enclosures. Its essentially a bathroom (sound wise) with the shower enclosure as your worst enemy. Stuffing 5KW (or whatever) in a bathroom may make the water appear to boil in the tub, but cochlear fluid cavitates as well.

JimJ
12-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Dashboards, door panels and the like are not enclosures.

Again, if you've seen how an SQ vehicle can go together, you might not say this :) Doors can indeed make suitable enclosures, provided they're sealed up with layers of Lexan...midranges and even midbasses can fit into fiberglassed kickpods with enough volume for very useful extension - yeah, sometimes it's necessary to cut metal, but it can be done.

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 01:27 AM
I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment :)

I wouldn't bother with the Imprint, but having separate EQ ability per channel can be a very useful thing. I agree about in-car mounting requiring some compromises in speaker placement, but I'm just wondering - have you heard a vehicle built for SQ competition, like an IASCA or MECA event? :)

Thanks for your response. I kinda thought the imprint would be a waste of greenbacks. I shouldn't need any EQ differential per channel as my speakers are against the tailgate pointing up slightly (basically right at my head). No issues with obstructions with either speaker. I have never heard any vehicles built for any competition (just the stop light wannabees with the spinners). I'm certainly not going to compete with anyone. Tell you the truth, I've never heard of SQ competition, I thought it was all about loud nowadays. Rattle the car next to you until its bumper falls off. You have piqued my interest.

JimJ
12-24-2008, 01:37 AM
http://www.iasca.com/content/Formats/02sqi.aspx

http://mecacaraudio.com/2008Rulebook/2008rulebook.aspx

But there are plenty of people out there who never want to compete in something like that, but still want reference-quality audio that has accurate timbre and projects a realistic soundstage. You just happened to pick the worst possible forum out there to find people interested in that :)

If you really want to see how people who aren't bassheads are doing things, a forum like the Hybrid Audio Technologies one would be a much better place to start looking. Or Elite Car Audio.

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Again, if you've seen how an SQ vehicle can go together, you might not say this :) Doors can indeed make suitable enclosures, provided they're sealed up with layers of Lexan...midranges and even midbasses can fit into fiberglassed kickpods with enough volume for very useful extension - yeah, sometimes it's necessary to cut metal, but it can be done.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true to an extent. Then again anything can be made to fly or float. That doesn't make them particularly good at it. Vehicles (cars in particular) present huge challenges. My "ghetto" approach of actual cabinets is certainly not practical in a car (if you like your back seats). Anybody have any links to these SQ vehicles? I admit my ignorance that such a thing existed.

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 01:42 AM
http://www.iasca.com/content/Formats/02sqi.aspx

http://mecacaraudio.com/2008Rulebook/2008rulebook.aspx

But there are plenty of people out there who never want to compete in something like that, but still want reference-quality audio that has accurate timbre and projects a realistic soundstage. You just happened to pick the worst possible forum out there to find people interested in that :)

If you really want to see how people who aren't bassheads are doing things, a forum like the Hybrid Audio Technologies one would be a much better place to start looking. Or Elite Car Audio.

Thank you, sir. I never heard the term basshead until I came here. I see the battery-powered Billybass in my mind. Seems to fit.

JimJ
12-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that's true to an extent. Then again anything can be made to fly or float. That doesn't make them particularly good at it. Vehicles (cars in particular) present huge challenges. My "ghetto" approach of actual cabinets is certainly not practical in a car (if you like your back seats). Anybody have any links to these SQ vehicles? I admit my ignorance that such a thing existed.

http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=134d33117e5f9ae092ee3d6acc2dd53b

This would be a decent place to start :)

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 01:49 AM
BTW, is the 9886 decent? I paid a LOT more for my 9337 25 years ago.

tacovic
12-24-2008, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=JimJ;5607688]I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment :)

well i can agree with that to a certain extent. the SQ aspect i can see. i can see how in a home audio setup you want great SQ and in a car you could want the same thing but i dont see many home SPL competions:)

McIntosh
12-24-2008, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=JimJ;5607688]I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment :)

well i can agree with that to a certain extent. the SQ aspect i can see. i can see how in a home audio setup you want great SQ and in a car you could want the same thing but i dont see many home SPL competions:)

Without roving judges it would have to be a motor home SPL competition. Here's a novel idea: SPL, frequency response and THD competition, deduct massive points if it sounds like **** and only plays billybass.

ROY ROBLES
01-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Welcome To The Site.... Enjoy!!