PDA

View Full Version : Befuddled

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Snooping around a bit, you people amuse me. Firstly, I'm likely older than most of you at 49 which in itself means nothing other than I've had a chance to learn from more mistakes than most of you have. I was also a "genius" at 17 and knew far more than my elders. Yeah, right. Enough of that. I'm not your dad and its not my job to be. Most of my equipment is also likely older than most of you (late '70s, early '80s vintage). My home stereo (McIntosh powered, of course) will deliver 130dB of absolutely undistorted hearing damage. If ANY of you were to try to stand it for an album (yes, those vinyl thingies) side without suffering painful permanent hearing damage (tinnitus) you must be wearing earplugs. It WILL permanently damage your hearing. This is with 300W/ch in a large room and 100dB/W Klipsch speakers. What exactly is the point of ANYTHING hitting 150+dB (which I seriously doubt is possible anyways, you're kidding yourselves). Doubling the power gets you 3 dB. Roughly 128000w at 100dB/W for 151 dB. Then again, you "kids" like nothing but bass (cause it sounds cool???) rather than full range music. If your amps actually delivered the watts they advertise, 100W/ch would make your ears bleed in a full sized sedan, let alone a ratty-assed Honda or other import crap. I drive a full-sized Blazer (kinda like a Yukon for you younger crowd) with 100/ch with 3-way "house" speakers in the back. The rear-view (windshield mounted) mirror is useless when cranked. The lights dim at stoplights with a 250A alternator. That's a REAL 100W/ch amp.

JimJ
12-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Snooping around a bit, you people amuse me. Firstly, I'm likely older than most of you at 49 which in itself means nothing other than I've had a chance to learn from more mistakes than most of you have. I was also a "genius" at 17 and knew far more than my elders. Yeah, right. Enough of that. I'm not your dad and its not my job to be. Most of my equipment is also likely older than most of you (late '70s, early '80s vintage). My home stereo (McIntosh powered, of course) will deliver 130dB of absolutely undistorted hearing damage. If ANY of you were to try to stand it for an album (yes, those vinyl thingies) side without suffering painful permanent hearing damage (tinnitus) you must be wearing earplugs. It WILL permanently damage your hearing. This is with 300W/ch in a large room and 100dB/W Klipsch speakers. What exactly is the point of ANYTHING hitting 150+dB (which I seriously doubt is possible anyways, you're kidding yourselves). Doubling the power gets you 3 dB. Roughly 128000w at 100dB/W for 151 dB. Then again, you "kids" like nothing but bass (cause it sounds cool???) rather than full range music. If your amps actually delivered the watts they advertise, 100W/ch would make your ears bleed in a full sized sedan, let alone a ratty-assed Honda or other import crap. I drive a full-sized Blazer (kinda like a Yukon for you younger crowd) with 100/ch with 3-way "house" speakers in the back. The rear-view (windshield mounted) mirror is useless when cranked. The lights dim at stoplights with a 250A alternator. That's a REAL 100W/ch amp.

You know what they say about a closed mouth attracting no feet? ;)

Be careful who you generalize around here, you might realize it's not so homogeneous ;) Just hope you're not on AK...

KyleBechtold
12-22-2008, 02:23 AM
so GTFO if you don't like it.. and you think 151 is impossible? you are an ignorant old man.. go have your midlife crisis by yourself

tc3k101
12-22-2008, 02:23 AM
lol wtf

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
u make me sick to my stomache.

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Sounds like a nice setup, got any pics?LOL

craigzter
12-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Sounds like a nice setup, got any pics?LOL

not going to argue with anyone and...pics would be a plus.

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 02:29 AM
i dont like the fact he comes on here and is like well all of u are kids and dont know anything and i got this and that . You might not know it but not all of us are high school kids ,and for how u come across my man your a d-bag

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 02:30 AM
not going to argue with anyone and...pics would be a plus.

Me either, let them prove their intelligence or stupidity.

Stephen_c
12-22-2008, 02:31 AM
i have a **** you can ****

craigzter
12-22-2008, 02:32 AM
i have a **** you can ****

:laugh:

dumple
12-22-2008, 02:35 AM
sweet your old and u have a bad *** home set up and from what I read you also use home audio speakers in your car. To each their own but way to introduce yourself dbag

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 02:37 AM
sweet your old and u have a bad *** home set up and from what I read you also use home audio speakers in your car. To each their own but way to introduce yourself dbag

Well said.

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 02:38 AM
OP, you sound like my grandpa. He thinks the same way you do and is a sound expert and electrician. He has be an electrician for 28 years and installing proffessional audio for over 25 years. I kinda see what you are saying because i hear it from him every day, but 150+ db is very easy to achieve if you have the money and space. And i myself am not a bass head, so please don't call me that. I like the cleanest sound possible and am more for SQ than SPL. Most of the stuff you pointed at are just ignorant though, so please make some sense before you open your mouth.

edit: and home audio and professional audio equipment is rated differently, my home theater front towers are 130 rms and are 4 times louder than my car components which are 150 rms. It is on a different scale i guess you could say.

dumple
12-22-2008, 02:42 AM
ive seen myself grow out of the all i want is bass thing. Right now im interested in getting some great sounding music out of my car for a semi low price. It was fun as hell to vibrate the cars next to me but not anymore lol. Cant wait for summer so i can have a fuggin job and get some cash for dreams

mjf
12-22-2008, 02:43 AM

So in other words you're just an arrogant moron trying to come on here spouting information with no backing whatsoever. Also there are plenty of people that play well over 150 on music here, here's the difference that you clearly don't understand. High frequencies damage your hearing at a much lower level(db) than lower frequencies. What does your alternator put out at idle? Because it clearly is not 250@ idle@ stoplights.

Also, with your age you would think you would have enough experience to know how to format a paragraph properly in order to make it easier for people to read. But I assume that's beyond your comprehension as it seems you only came here to spout useless information akin to "I'm better than you because of (insert complaint)".

Oh import crap you say? Which companies are going under now because they cannot support themselves because they make terrible products? Here's a hint, it's not the import I'm driving, it's the piece of crap domestic you bought here.

How's this, come back, get some backing information instead of spouting useless bullshit. Your best arguments are, "which I seriously doubt is possible anyways, you're kidding yourselves" wheres the validity, oh wait it doesn't exist.

The amps do and can put out the power, they have been measured with meters in order to determine the amount of watts they actually generate. Oh look empirical data, is that beyond you?

The only reference you try to make is with high frequencies, why don't you do some research on low frequencies and come back a little bit less arrogant.

craigzter
12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
this thread has potiental.....

dumple
12-22-2008, 02:47 AM
this thread has potiental.....

lol

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 02:47 AM
yeah, but pro audio equipment is much louder at only like 50 watts. I have some old altec subs that cost a couple grand in the 70's that would blow away some of the high end stuff today. I kinda see what he is trying to say. But what an ignorant ******* this guy is, i hope he sticks around because i want to see some pics.

germandark
12-22-2008, 02:48 AM
op, does not deliver. whata newfag.

1rockford1
12-22-2008, 02:50 AM
i would like to hit the op .

craigzter
lol

could be good, and then again it could be bad:up2somet::banghead:

endofdays89
i see him lurking in the active user box down there, he must be thinking of a good comeback.

McIntosh
12-22-2008, 02:51 AM
OP, you sound like my grandpa. He thinks the same way you do and is a sound expert and electrician. He has be an electrician for 28 years and installing proffessional audio for over 25 years. I kinda see what you are saying because i hear it from him every day, but 150+ db is very easy to achieve if you have the money and space. And i myself am not a bass head, so please don't call me that. I like the cleanest sound possible and am more for SQ than SPL. Most of the stuff you pointed at are just ignorant though, so please make some sense before you open your mouth.

edit: and home audio and professional audio equipment is rated differently, my home theater front towers are 130 rms and are 4 times louder than my car components which are 150 rms. It is on a different scale i guess you could say.

The other responses are as expected, boys will be boys. Your response shows some maturity. I am also an electrician, though certainly not as knowledgeable as the previous posters. AFAIK, speakers are rated at dB/W whether pro or best buy crap. As for the rest of you, thanks for the warm welcome. I hope you can teach me something about audio. And I am a member at AK.

dumple
12-22-2008, 02:51 AM
or he cant find his reading glasses the old bastid

Cabin_Pressure
12-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Thread is bait. FYI. Someone is bored.

dumple
12-22-2008, 02:52 AM
The other responses are as expected, boys will be boys. Your response shows some maturity. I am also an electrician, though certainly not as knowledgeable as the previous posters. AFAIK, speakers are rated at dB/W whether pro or best buy crap. As for the rest of you, thanks for the warm welcome. I hope you can teach me something about audio. And I am a member at AK.

im a brother of AKAK

JimJ
12-22-2008, 02:55 AM

All audio, no attitude, right? :p:

I'll admit, this place is a cesspool as far as forums go...but I'm going to have to close this anyway :)

endofdays89
12-22-2008, 02:55 AM

i still want pics, or maybe a vid. You got a digital camera or something. Cuz if you have a real amp rated at 100 watts then your **** will get very loud even from like 10 or 15 feet away. I am interested in seeing this.