PDA

View Full Version : Baffles or not?

pegasis50
12-21-2008, 10:14 AM
When is a baffle required for component midbass drivers?

I am installing a system in a 08 civic si in the front doors and the rear deck.

Should I get baffles? If so, what kind, and why?

Etac
12-21-2008, 10:32 AM
make em yourself

you usually need em when mounting depth is too shallow or the speaker wont fit in the mounting location.. another reason to use them is you can sometimes get a better seal with the spacer and modeling clay

pegasis50
12-21-2008, 10:46 AM
So your are sealing to the front of the door, but is the basket open in the back of the panel, or enclosed in a baffle?

Etac
12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
well open usually, sometimes depends on setup.. if its in the doors.. the doors will act as an enclosure... (well infinite baffle really)

the main thihg you wanna try to do is seperate the backwaves from the front waves...

edit: i kinda misread your original post so ill answer here

sealing the backs on most mids will actually sufficate them, but also has the potential to sound better (or the complete opposite if its too small), but less efficient ... depending on how much air space they need, it you do add baffles with the backc to protect from weather damage, cut the bottom part of the back open..

R/T Pimp
12-21-2008, 11:18 AM
You will only wish you had if you do not do it now.

pegasis50
12-21-2008, 11:56 AM
You will only wish you had if you do not do it now.
I know nothing other than this thread and the little bit I read...................

So use the clay/ring method, or is there another way? Dont know if I have room to space them out........:confused:

mike11202
12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
When is a baffle required for component midbass drivers?

I am installing a system in a 08 civic si in the front doors and the rear deck.

Should I get baffles? If so, what kind, and why?

Yes I have the same car, make 2 3/4" MDF spacers and you should be all set on any clearance issues and fit within stock grill. 1 will work but I liked 2 better.

shaneb
12-21-2008, 05:53 PM
you don't need clay.
you won't notice a difference between using clay or not.
just put a little silicone in between the baffle and door panel that you are screwing it to.

pegasis50
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
By baffle you mean 3/4 ring. Or the foam like crutchfield sells?