PDA

View Full Version : Rockford P3 box design question

pegasis50
12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok,

I am new here but have been doing this a while...............Rockford gives their ideal sealed box enclosure volume as 1.0 ft^3 in their manual, and then posts the external dimensions to build said box. These dimensions come to 1 cubic ft exactly, EXCLUDING woofer displacement. They say "NOTE: Vb is the gross volume, which is the TOTAL internal volume, before any speaker and/or port displacement.
All external dimensions were based on the use of 3/4" (1.90cm) materials."

Then in their box building info they tell you to take into account woofer displacement:confused::confused::confused:

Anyone know what they mean? Seems to contradict the other statement. I can build it either way, just wanted to clarify. Looks as if for that woofer you build it to an internal volume of 1 cubic foot, then put the woofer in and youre golden........

TIA!

Here is the info I refer to:http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2007/5_Subwoofers/1230_53315_01_RF_P3Sub-MAN.pdf

GAM3OVR
12-20-2008, 10:43 PM
P3's + sealed box = sounds like crap

pegasis50
12-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words.....*******.

I didn't ask if you like my woofers.......

Maybe I joined the wrong site here, as I thought I might actually get some USEFUL advice here!

schrummy
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
^---he wasnt saying the subs were crap....idk..... he was saying that the subs in a sealed bosx would sound like crap

go ported

NightDrifter05
12-20-2008, 11:04 PM
All the manual says is they don't take into account the port and sub displacement in the recommended enclosure size. You have to factor in space the sub will take up in the box into the calculations and build the box taking that into account. If you keep reading the manual it gives you the woofer displacement which for your woofer is .094 so build the box to 1.094cf and that fixes all your problems.

pegasis50
12-21-2008, 12:21 AM
All the manual says is they don't take into account the port and sub displacement in the recommended enclosure size. You have to factor in space the sub will take up in the box into the calculations and build the box taking that into account. If you keep reading the manual it gives you the woofer displacement which for your woofer is .094 so build the box to 1.094cf and that fixes all your problems.
I understand all of that, BUT they say "here are the ideal dimensions for an enclosure for this woofer"................but the displacement is not accounted for. Just seems to contradict their other info...............

Maybe I am confused. Either way it will fall into the acceptable range, but may be a little off "ideal".

Thanks for your input.

GAM3OVR
12-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the kind words.....*******.

I didn't ask if you like my woofers.......

Maybe I joined the wrong site here, as I thought I might actually get some USEFUL advice here!

Re-read my post *******

^---he wasnt saying the subs were crap....idk..... he was saying that the subs in a sealed bosx would sound like crap

go ported

exactly
Instead of being a douche, listen to what i say.

p3's don't sound good in sealed box applications. I highly recommend doing ported.

I understand all of that, BUT they say "here are the ideal dimensions for an enclosure for this woofer"................but the displacement is not accounted for. Just seems to contradict their other info...............

Maybe I am confused. Either way it will fall into the acceptable range, but may be a little off "ideal".

it's 1.00 ft^3 + (sub displacement)

Thanks for your input.

pegasis50
12-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Re-read my post *******

exactly
Instead of being a douche, listen to what i say.

p3's don't sound good in sealed box applications. I highly recommend doing ported.

Well had you posted some relevant info, I would be more apt to listen. You basically said "your speakers+your box=crap"..............how should I react?

A better response would be "I am not sure about the volume question, and dont want to post dump or hi jack your thread, BUT those particular woofers would sound much better in a ported box"..................and then you could tell me why. I have run sealed boxes for over 18 years (probably longer than you've been alive) with good results.

I do not claim to be an expert but like the tight, cleaner sound of a sealed box. I listen to a HUGE variety of music, from country to 80s rock to alternative to disco to some jazz.............

A ported box would tend to be good around its tuned frequency, but not as linear everywhere else. Isnt a sealed box better for the variety of stuff I listen too?