PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking for a deal on cables?

juniorab
12-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey all. Just saw that virtual dynamics is having an 80% on retail/60% off factory direct(turns out to be the same price) sale. It turns out to be even better for everyone in the states as I think(don't quote me though!) that they are priced in canadian funds as they are a canadian company. http://www.virtualdynamics.ca/Audiophile-cables

Most of you may not have heard of them, but people into high end audio know who they are. I've used their david series cables, and really enjoyed them. Their power cords are thick enough they could probably pull a train.

Even if you're not interested in buying some, the creator has some interesting videos on the site that explains the dynamic filtering and speed of light technology that they use in their cables. The cables have actually gone under studies to show that they increase the slew rate by 5-12%. Cool to take a look at.

Now I didn't post this to start a debate on if there is a difference in cables or not, so please don't start that. I just thought I'd share a good deal with all who are interested.

JimJ
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
$1k per meter still is a bit much for me :)

mjf
12-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Most of you may not have heard of them, but people into high end audio know who they are. I've used their david series cables, and really enjoyed them. Their power cords are thick enough they could probably pull a train.

oh a whopping 6 gauge!:rolleyes:

Scoobydoo
12-20-2008, 02:47 PM
just ordered $10k worth. my Audiovox home theater in a box setup is gonna sound great now

thanks

juniorab
12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
$1k per meter still is a bit much for me :)

if you look at the CT series(core technology) they retail for $300-500 before the %80 discount. Not bad for some good cables.;)

juniorab
12-20-2008, 03:14 PM
oh a whopping 6 gauge!:rolleyes:

the cable itself is 6 gauge. the shielding and casing around it makes them quite stiff and around an inch thick on the basic power series.

iamamp3pimp
12-20-2008, 03:15 PM
thanks, but no thanks.

maybe someone will jump on this though,

iamamp3pimp
12-20-2008, 03:16 PM
you know this is gonna turn into one of those threads, right?

im just sayin

DBfan187
12-20-2008, 03:16 PM
http://rightbrainplanner.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/snake-oil.jpg

I'm selling some of these for $500ea. Who wants some?

gotparts90
12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
http://rightbrainplanner.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/snake-oil.jpg

I'm selling some of these for $500ea. Who wants some?

will it cure my hemorrhoids????? do I need to insert the whole bottle?

Scoobydoo
12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
hmm if they can afford to sell them at an 80% discount then they are obviously marking them up 500% over what they should be

if you can only rip off 1 out of 20 people but charge 20 times more then you make the same profit as if you had sold to all 20 people at 20 times less i suppose

juniorab
12-20-2008, 03:21 PM
you know this is gonna turn into one of those threads, right?

im just sayin

Ya. I kinda figured it would. Hoped it wouldn't. Just thought if the one or two people on this forum who took audio serious wanted some nice cables for a good deal, they could.

Scoobydoo
12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Ya. I kinda figured it would. Hoped it wouldn't. Just thought if the one or two people on this forum who took audio serious wanted some nice cables for a good deal, they could.

just cause they overinflate "retail" pricing, make up some "factory direct" figure and then offer some HUGE 80% discount doesnt make it a deal

xxBURT0Nxx
12-20-2008, 03:32 PM
lmao.. good deal :)

bds0688
12-20-2008, 11:40 PM

People do take audio serious. They don't need one thousand dollar cables to take it seriously. :fyi:

I could care less about the discussion of things people perceive with a cable over another. As long as it's built well, who cares?

Flipx99
12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I rock Dayton audio...I am teh poors.

wu501
12-22-2008, 10:18 AM
lol...amazing deal. I might have to buy some.

Pl8er
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I know there is major discussion on what speaker wire adds (or doesn't add) to a stereo system. There has even been situations where people have used clothes hangers against multi-thousand dollar systems.

I think to really need a set of high end cables you really have to know the sytem your listening too. Does it change the sound, honest I believe yes. But only if you knew the way it was before. Placebo effect? Sure, that plays in too. Then again I want to feel great about every purchase so however I have to justify it is ok with me LOL.

I don't own a pair of high end cables, but I do see some benefits. I'm trying to find my stereophile article where the measurements changed from cables. Awhile back, so I have to dig it up.

With our economy, I doubt anyone is spending this much on something like cables. Not to mention that if they can afford to cut that much off the price, what type of mark-up is there?

kmanian
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
And guys dog me about Critical Mass!!!!!!!!!!!

djman37
12-22-2008, 10:56 AM
'look daddy, that man's not wearing any clothes' --the emporer's new clothes.

JimJ
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
With our economy, I doubt anyone is spending this much on something like cables.

You'd be surprised ;)

I'm sure that there are cables out there that make a difference in sound - if you change a cable's LCR (inductance, capacitance and resistance) parameters enough, it'll act like a filter. But where people lose me is a) getting defensive about objectively measuring the cables, claiming sound is based off of properties we don't know of or can't measure yet and b) saying that measurements don't make a difference at all :)

Pl8er
12-22-2008, 01:58 PM
You'd be surprised ;)

I'm sure that there are cables out there that make a difference in sound - if you change a cable's LCR (inductance, capacitance and resistance) parameters enough, it'll act like a filter. But where people lose me is a) getting defensive about objectively measuring the cables, claiming sound is based off of properties we don't know of or can't measure yet and b) saying that measurements don't make a difference at all :)

I was trying to be as neutral as possible :P Just didn't want to start up the age old debate of do cables matter.

If I could afford higher end cables, I would buy them.

hayden
12-22-2008, 05:04 PM
It might have been this company that someone used as an example of overpriced "audio jewelry" (it is on the net somewhere). They bought a few of their products and cut open these "magic" cables and found: nothing unusual! They were simply standard audio and power cables with thick rubber and poly jackets that made them "look" high-end.

Copper is copper.

JP

Pl8er
12-22-2008, 06:18 PM
It might have been this company that someone used as an example of overpriced "audio jewelry" (it is on the net somewhere). They bought a few of their products and cut open these "magic" cables and found: nothing unusual! They were simply standard audio and power cables with thick rubber and poly jackets that made them "look" high-end.

Copper is copper.

JP

I believe some of that...but copper is not copper. Copper is actually my main commodity that I buy for work and believe me buying 3N5 copper is not the same as buying 6N copper. Ultra-high end copper (at least for the sputtering industry) has so many specifications. One of the primary is Oxygen.

hayden
12-23-2008, 02:42 AM
I believe some of that...but copper is not copper. Copper is actually my main commodity that I buy for work and believe me buying 3N5 copper is not the same as buying 6N copper. Ultra-high end copper (at least for the sputtering industry) has so many specifications. One of the primary is Oxygen.

True, you are correct. What I meant to say was that any copper that a reputable company sells as speaker/interconnect wire should be no different (acoustically) than any other. The most rabid fans of "cable sound" differences tend to be the folks who also buy cable/wire elevators made of foam and ceramic, and buy "tuning" stones and wood blocks. :rolleyes: The companies who sell common cable/wire dressed up to look expensive are out to do one thing - make tons of money from people who have it to burn. :greedy:
JP