PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Repair ?

LoneStarWings
12-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I made a boneheaded move today.

While taking my door panels off to install some dynamat I inadvertantly snagged my tweeter's speaker wire, and it must've pulled the wire loose inside of the tweeter because it no longer produces any sound.

Is there any way to open up a tweeter to repair this, I can do basic soldering. It's an image dynamics XS28 if it matters. I don't really see any easy way to open this thing up and figure out where the wire is lose. Thanks!

shaneb
12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Go to the Image Dynamics forums and post in the IDtech section.

Horsemanwill
12-19-2008, 09:56 PM
if i remember correctly the tweeter is assembled with some type of adhesive. if it's under warrenty you could send it back to ID for repair. or you could try to disassemble it very carefully and then use an adhesive to put it back together. if i remember correctly someone accidently seperated the tweeter and it was said that an adhesive can put it back together.

here's that thread

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3690

but i'm not too sure about the soldering after lookin at the tweet better.

LoneStarWings
12-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the replies guy. That one was an NX30, which looks a little different. Obviously I'd rather try and repair it myself that go weeks without my tweet, but after prying at it a little bit I think there's about zero chance of this thing opening up. I'd probably damage it worse.

Horsemanwill
12-19-2008, 10:25 PM
then i'd go ahead and give either give ID a call or get on their site and post a request in the id repair area

LoneStarWings
12-20-2008, 01:24 AM
then i'd go ahead and give either give ID a call or get on their site and post a request in the id repair area

Posted there, thanks horesman. I tried prying at it quite a bit with vice grips and some pliers, thing won't budge a hair.

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 01:25 AM
matt will want pics btw lol we always love pics over there lol

holy crap your rollswindowsdownmanually lol

LoneStarWings
12-20-2008, 01:35 AM
matt will want pics btw lol we always love pics over there lol

holy crap your rollswindowsdownmanually lol

Aww geeze the pics would probably just be embarassing. I chewed up the bottom plastic pretty good trying to seperate the thing and ended up squeezing off most of the postive lead....at this point I'm thinking it's just replacement time if ID will sell me one for less than $100.

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 12:09 PM
you know a pair is only 150.00 on woofers right?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5718

LoneStarWings
12-20-2008, 04:33 PM
you know a pair is only 150.00 on woofers right?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5718

Yeah I saw that. Guess I'll wait till Monday to see what Eric or Matt say and figure it out then. **** my clutzy self :verymad:. poor xs28 :(

Ahh well what fun is car audio without things going wrong from time to time.