PDA

View Full Version : Component speaker placement

CadillacMatt
12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
OK, so I just got my Image Dynamics IDCTX65CS comps in the other day, and I'm anxious to hear them. I'm going to need to build a baffle in order to use the stock 5 1/4" location for the midbass, but I'm trying to figure out where to mount the tweeters.

The manual says to keep the speakers as close as possible, so would I lose anything by having the midbass down in the door panel and the tweets up near the A-pillar?

boomzilla
12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I would take the midbass and tweet and have a friend or two hold them in certain spots while you chill in the driver's seat, find the best imaging for your tastes, and you should be golden. It's what I'm doing today also for my rsd's.

boomzilla
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Also, if you go with the a-pillars, try to face tweets away from the glass on the winshield, I've read it causes reflections in the sound.

CadillacMatt
12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
OK, thanks for the tips.

My factory tweeters are mounted about halfway up the door, firing straight outwards, so I'm curious to see what difference the tweeter placement will make.

CadillacMatt
12-19-2008, 07:11 PM
OK I had another idea... how about if I keep the midrange drivers in the stock lower door positions, and mount the tweeters on the lower part of the dash on either side, and swivel them to fire towards my ears?

My dash gradually slopes down so the mounting would be easy and would also provide a clear shot, while in reality only being maybe 6" from where they would be mounted in a kick panel installation, and only a few inches from the midrange.

In this picture, the midrange location is behind the carpeting on the lower front part of the door, and I was thinking of mounting the tweets roundabouts where the leftmost pedal is underneath the dash.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/CadillacMatt95/DCP_0037.jpg

shaneb
12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I have these same components at the moment.
Eric suggested I put my tweets in the kickpanel and crossfire them to the other listener.
The reason you want to crossfire, is to help the path length difference an to aid the center focus.
I went with putting them in factory locations with a crossfire.
Okay I also just looked at your OP. You will not lose anything by putting them in the apillar or in the dash.
Image Dynamics does a great job of compensating for separation in their passive crossovers. Trust me.
Or better yet, go to the ID forum, and search my two threads.
Tweeter Placement
and Power Distribution in a passive xover.
Those two threads will give you all the info you need on these comps

My first suggestion beyond you needing to go read those threads is, do not put your tweeters on axis, meaning do not point them directly at you, that will make for a crappy image probably.

CadillacMatt
12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
I have these same components at the moment.
Eric suggested I put my tweets in the kickpanel and crossfire them to the other listener.
The reason you want to crossfire, is to help the path length difference an to aid the center focus.
I went with putting them in factory locations with a crossfire.
Okay I also just looked at your OP. You will not lose anything by putting them in the apillar or in the dash.
Image Dynamics does a great job of compensating for separation in their passive crossovers. Trust me.
Or better yet, go to the ID forum, and search my two threads.
Tweeter Placement
and Power Distribution in a passive xover.
Those two threads will give you all the info you need on these comps

My first suggestion beyond you needing to go read those threads is, do not put your tweeters on axis, meaning do not point them directly at you, that will make for a crappy image probably.

So you mean basically fire them towards the center of the car?

Oh, and I tried to go on the ID forums I registered and all, but when I went back after validating no forums showed up in the list. :confused:

shaneb
12-19-2008, 08:28 PM
That's weird.
And no, a crossfire is firing at the opposite listeners head.
Like, the tweeter on the left firing at the passengers seat head

CadillacMatt
12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
That's weird.
And no, a crossfire is firing at the opposite listeners head.
Like, the tweeter on the left firing at the passengers seat head

And the right one firing at the driver's head?

I'm pretty sure about mounting them down low on the underside of the dash... it will allow me to aim the tweeters pretty much anywhere... and if anyone has experience with this way of mounting the tweeters please chime in I'd really like to hear about it.

Boris
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm screwing around with placement today as well.
After a bunch of attempts at keeping the tweeters down by the mids I couldn't get away from the soundstage being way too low.
Finally, I tried in the sail panels and am liking things much more.
I guess the stock location in my case wasn't a bad idea.

BTW. It's in a Cadillac Catera.

boomzilla
12-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm screwing around with placement today as well.
After a bunch of attempts at keeping the tweeters down by the mids I couldn't get away from the soundstage being way too low.
Finally, I tried in the sail panels and am liking things much more.
I guess the stock location in my case wasn't a bad idea.

BTW. It's in a Cadillac Catera.

Same with mine, I thought the tweets near the mids would be better than I thought, in my Cavy it didn't sound so good. I moved them up on the door panel by the lock switch and it sounds alot better. My a-pillars are at a strange angle, they face the winshield. So I can't use them unless I glass up some pods.

BTW to the OP, yes you want to aim the speakers to the center of the vehicle. The best way I've seen someone do it was with a laser pointer, to accurately direct the speakers. I suppose string could work too. Use this method along with putting your speakers in different spots, to get different imaging.

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I will definitely try those ideas thanks guys.

What I'm struggling with now is trying to fit these 6.5"s in a 5 1/4" slot :crap:

Going to need some MDF rings, a grinder and careful planning.

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
cadillac check your pm and also let's see if we can get the id forum thing working for you

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
if you can get a better straight on shot of your door i think it kinda looks like mine. my factory was a 5.25 on a plastic "plate" after i removed the plate and did some slight altering on the interior of the door and built a plate i was able to fit 26.5s in each door.

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Here are more pics of the door. The blue locations are where I'm thinking of mounting the tweets.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/CadillacMatt95/DCP_0005tweet-2.jpg

Door speaker opening

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/CadillacMatt95/DCP_0007-2.jpg

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
take the 6.5 and hold it up to the door panel itself with the speaker mag aiming towards you. if there is enough room between the door handle and the bottom of the door you should be able to do like i did. let me grab some pics.

and i'm trying to get a hold of matt to ask about your problem on the site. what are u using for a browser?

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:15 PM
take the 6.5 and hold it up to the door panel itself with the speaker mag aiming towards you. if there is enough room between the door handle and the bottom of the door you should be able to do like i did. let me grab some pics.

and i'm trying to get a hold of matt to ask about your problem on the site. what are u using for a browser?

Thanks, and I'm using Firefox 3.0.5

If I log out, it displays all of the forums but when I click on one it prompts me to log in.

dumple
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
tweeter on the door sail like the inside of the care on the opposite side of the mirror or in the a pillar speakers in the kicks or doors

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
alright no knocking the install it was a temp install i redid it lol

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=2144

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=2145

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
if you can't see them let me know and i'll load the pics here

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:20 PM
tweeter on the door sail like the inside of the care on the opposite side of the mirror or in the a pillar speakers in the kicks or doors

What I've mainly heard was that it's not a good idea to separate the drivers unless you have some sort of HU time alignment, the tweets could end up overpowering the mids, etc. etc. and I figured the locations I chose would be as close as possible to a kickpanel installation (a pseudo kick panel, I guess, if the tweet is in the kick and the midrange in the door)

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
stay loged in on id forum and click this link

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Oh and with the forums when I try to click on "new posts" it tells me this:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:

You did not choose any forums to search in, or the forums you chose to search in are password protected. If this is the case, please make sure you are logged into the password protected forums before searching.

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Eric designed the crossovers for that set up to allow for things as installing tweet far from mid.

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah those pics look pretty good, but like I marked in green on my picture above, I only have 5 1/2" of clearance before the armrest juts out like a sort thumb (which means cutting about an inch half-circle thing out which I think would look ridiculous.

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
stay loged in on id forum and click this link

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

I clicked the link and same result - no forums displayed

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Eric designed the crossovers for that set up to allow for things as installing tweet far from mid.

But it would still give better imaging being in the kicks right?

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:28 PM
ya kicks is usually the best for imaging if yoru talkin about putting both in there. meaning the 6.5 and tweet.

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
matt to busy right now getting ready for ces but i'll let him know first chance i get.

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Oh, I got the forums working. I selected "Resend validation" and it's all good :cool:

Thanks for your help! :) I can always play around with the location of the tweets before I install them, but I'm really concerned with getting those 6.5"s to fit :crap:

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:37 PM
sweet i'll be the one in red over there make sure u intro urself lol

Horsemanwill
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM
if by chance you do get it to fit in the bottom area like i did if you put the tweet where the factory is make sure you don't have it setting back like the factory is i'd recommend makeing a lil plate there to hold the tweet.

CadillacMatt
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
if by chance you do get it to fit in the bottom area like i did if you put the tweet where the factory is make sure you don't have it setting back like the factory is i'd recommend makeing a lil plate there to hold the tweet.

Yeah the tweets are firing at each other in a straight line, and while it doesn't sound terrible now it's nowhere near anything like a soundstage.