PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start Experts- Need your help.

NeverEnuffBass
12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Installed an Audiovox Pursuit Starter in a 98 Ford Econoline E350 diesel today... I can't find the tach wire. According to 12v.com, the tach should be white/pink. I tried every white pink I could find, not one would work... I busted out the DMM and tested as well I'm wondering it is a different color because it has a diesel engine, any help would be appreciated

Horsemanwill
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
WHITE/PINK (-) PCM DRIVERS REAR OF ENGINE 2 CYL SETTING

that's from audiovox's page

i'd call and ask audiovox they have gotten better with they help

Worlddre
12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
not sure off the top if that ford falls into the realm but many for deisel trucks have a dirty tach signal and y\would require a directed tach signal generator...if not you can try at any injector the odd colored wire

NeverEnuffBass
12-19-2008, 12:59 PM
WHITE/PINK (-) PCM DRIVERS REAR OF ENGINE 2 CYL SETTING

that's from audiovox's page

i'd call and ask audiovox they have gotten better with they help

Yeah i hit that wire, didn't work

not sure off the top if that ford falls into the realm but many for deisel trucks have a dirty tach signal and y\would require a directed tach signal generator...if not you can try at any injector the odd colored wire

I'm thinking this may be it, I'll order up one of those generators.

Thanks for the help. I'm still pretty new to doing starters and alarms

qkassidyw
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I would check in the gauge cluster as well...

Otherwise the odd color on the injectors; but not sure it this works for all diesels.

EDIT: And you should always have your DMM out...

NeverEnuffBass
12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I would check in the gauge cluster as well...

Otherwise the odd color on the injectors; but not sure it this works for all diesels.

EDIT: And you should always have your DMM out...

lol yeah I know.... I usually just use my power probe

qkassidyw
12-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Oh god; on newer cars too?

Have fun when an airbag goes off or the car wont start; just sayin.

If you get the right leads for your meter you will never look back...

mokedaddy
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh god; on newer cars too?

Have fun when an airbag goes off or the car wont start; just sayin.

If you get the right leads for your meter you will never look back...

A power probe is not a standard test light. A power probe will not cause an airbag to deploy nor will it mess up any circuitry.

Worlddre
12-19-2008, 04:50 PM
A power probe is not a standard test light. A power probe will not cause an airbag to deploy nor will it mess up any circuitry.

just to play devils advocate here...it is all well and good until you accidently send a 12v or ground signal where it shouldnt go

mokedaddy
12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
just to play devils advocate here...it is all well and good until you accidently send a 12v or ground signal where it shouldnt go

Isnt that like saying you shouldnt use a table saw because it will cut off your finger? ;)

But I hear what you are saying...

Mike465
12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Haha well you could do it the half *** way and set it to voltage secse, but since it is a diesel and you have to use wait to start it wont be as reliable

autosportsunltd
12-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Tachometer white/pink CTO test connector
Test connector is located by itself, labled CTO test above brake booster on the drivers side of engine compartment

Thats from direct techs

THUNDERBIRD
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM

power probe 3? i have one and love it! i did so many **** passtimes(starter kills) for bad credit auto lots that my head installer made me buy one so we could pump them out. we got on the truck one day and he threw it at me and said buy this. i still use my meter when i have to, or if i am leary on the wire if it could be a data wire.

pipebomb
12-25-2008, 09:45 PM
astro start Multi Test 2- best meter for remote starters ever !!
http://www.astroflex.com/index.php?module=CMS&func=view&id=59&page=59