PDA

View Full Version : Viper 5900 Install

dye4metal
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
im getting the rents to buy me a viper 5900 for a truck im getting soon and my main questions are how hard are they to install? ive never done one and im not sure if i really want to. how much do shops normally charge for it? and before you guys say that oo the shop will know what you have and blah blah blah the truck will be bone stock when they get it.

qkassidyw
12-18-2008, 04:35 PM
im getting the rents to buy me a viper 5900 for a truck im getting soon and my main questions are how hard are they to install? ive never done one and im not sure if i really want to. how much do shops normally charge for it? and before you guys say that oo the shop will know what you have and blah blah blah the truck will be bone stock when they get it.

Since your parents are buying this for you I am assuming this is your first car, meaning you have probably never done too much in the car audio world.

Have a shop do it, you will thank me. If you want to try it, open up the box and look inside; that should deter you.

If that doesn't then open to the back 2 pages of the install manual and read what all the wires are.

I'm not being mean, sorry if it sounds like it. I really am savign you a hassle. Shope will normally charge 200-300 for putting one in. What year make and model is the vehicle?

You might need a bypass which will cost another 100 plus install so you are looking minimum 360 up to 500 max (thats including bypass and such)

dye4metal
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
lol not my first car , and ive done about 8 installs and another 2 i got scheduled this weekend for friends. electricals systems are not a first. and yes the parents are buying it for me because i just dropped about 1,500 on the truck before i even got it, i previously had a 02 tahoe and is a gas hog. so im going to a chevy 2500HD duramax

anyways im never usually intimidated by wiring things but i have never done a alarm before...

what would the bypass need to be for

Switt23
12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
typically an ignition bypass module. Newer cars all tend to have a theftlock system which prevents a theif from starting the car without the key. The bypass allows you to get around this feature so you can actually utilize the alarm/ remote start.

qkassidyw
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
You WILL need the bypass for that truck, and I believe it is the 1701G if want to have it do pretty much everything for you, or one of the XK modules.

The truck needs to see the RF signal from the key to be able to start the truck; these modules trick it into thinking the key is there.

Without the the truck will not remote start.

If you have never done an alarm before I would get someone else to do it (they are a whole nother world from regular installs) or have someone that can train you while you do it.

If you do a bad job on the install, you could ruin your trucks electrical or you will make it easy to bypass the alarm and have someone steal your truck...

dye4metal
12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
You WILL need the bypass for that truck, and I believe it is the 1701G if want to have it do pretty much everything for you, or one of the XK modules.

The truck needs to see the RF signal from the key to be able to start the truck; these modules trick it into thinking the key is there.

Without the the truck will not remote start.

If you have never done an alarm before I would get someone else to do it (they are a whole nother world from regular installs) or have someone that can train you while you do it.

If you do a bad job on the install, you could ruin your trucks electrical or you will make it easy to bypass the alarm and have someone steal your truck...

it would need a bypass even on the 03-04s? its not going to be a newer model.
you wouldnt happen to know anyone that does installs locally would you?

THUNDERBIRD
12-21-2008, 10:22 PM
deisels are a beast in their own also.

yz_gt69
12-22-2008, 01:16 PM
it would need a bypass even on the 03-04s? its not going to be a newer model.

yes, definately, see qkassidy's post above^^

monte14
01-18-2009, 12:24 AM
so did you install it, or did you have someone else do it....I have the same viper system and i think im gonna try and put it on myself so I was curious if you gave it a try?

atlbraves
01-18-2009, 05:26 PM
i am wondering the same as well

THUNDERBIRD
01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
so did you install it, or did you have someone else do it....I have the same viper system and i think im gonna try and put it on myself so I was curious if you gave it a try?

what car?

AVX Mike
01-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Have a good quality shop do the install. It will be done right and you won't have to worry about any problems. Remember I said quality shop. Ask if they solder or use t-taps. The only right way to do it is to solder every conection.

2001f150
01-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I would have a shop do it. I did my own with the help of a friend that has plenty of install experience. It was still a *****. But out of curiosity I've heard you cannot put a 5900 on a diesel. Have I been told wrong? But let us know with wha you decided to do and how you like the system.