PDA

View Full Version : calling all Alpine fans!

Steveopevo
12-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I want an alpine deck but whats up with the cda-9884 and 9886 only having a 2 band parametric eq and you can only adjust the Q on the bass band??????????
no adjusting the mids????????? and I don't want to have to spend more money on the imprint mod. I know the alpines are supposed to be the bomb but I might end up going with a pioneer just on principle of having more adjustability.

cam5860
12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I had the pioneer premier 880 headunit and I replaced it with the alpine 9886. And the alpine is much better. Alpine has the best sound quality period! Pioneer cannot touch alpine in sound quality. When it comes to headunits alpine is the only option you have if you want the best.

Upzaw2000
12-18-2008, 11:20 AM
x792

cbrei1023
12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I had the pioneer premier 880 headunit and I replaced it with the alpine 9886. And the alpine is much better. Alpine has the best sound quality period! Pioneer cannot touch alpine in sound quality. When it comes to headunits alpine is the only option you have if you want the best.

I completly agree. I have the 9884 and I have never had to mess with the 2-band EQ it has. havent had to touch anything really. The only thing I reall use is volume and bass. Fantastic decks.

Bass Addict
12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
i have the old 9825 still.no need to upgrade until it takes a dump.this is the longest time i've owned a hu without upgrading.in fact,if i could find another one brand new.i would buy it and keep it in the closet until needed

James Bang
12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
for the general alpine line this year.. get the 9887...

James Bang
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM

what a way to downgrade

drtool
12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
For SQ I like Mac or Nak had both. The Nak was stolen.

captaincheesey
12-18-2008, 08:00 PM
what a way to downgrade

x2. Alpine is not the end all best SQ line out there. Given the F1 status headunit and processor and such is good. Their everyday units are just average this year, 9887 set aside. I have a Eclipse 7200 that would walk all over their lower to mid lines and some of the higher ones. Although a F1 Status would pwn me any day.

Steveopevo
12-19-2008, 01:39 AM
maybe they are better but I feel like I'm buying a BMW with no power windows. And I've heard alot of people complaining about needing the imprint mod in order to make it sound right.

endofdays89
12-19-2008, 01:41 AM
i am asking this seriously...........

how exactly do you know if a head unit is good SQ? Explain this please. Why are the Pioneer's not good sound quality?

Thanks

eharri3
12-19-2008, 05:52 AM
I have the 9883 and would probably get a Pioneer or eclipse next time. Leaning more towards Eclipse. Just based on my readings on IMPRINT, you spend the extra 150 bucks for the kit it puts it worlds apart from any other HU but if you're just going by built-in SQ features other stuff out there gives you so much more for the same or a bit extra. I mean there are HUS out there with a better EQ AND things like built in time-alignment. Also when I bought mine I didn't do the reasearch so I didn't realize there are units with Blue tooth built in and IPOD cable included.

From what I hear alpine didn't put as much content in the newer lines because they found for their market most people weren't interested or don't normally use them. Probably figured for more elaborate setups make people fork over money for imprint. Makes me wonder if they only surveyed Best Buy/Chain store customers who mostly buy an HU and maybe a couple coaxes and call it a day.

eharri3
12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Alpine seems to have dedicated itself to the chain store buyer who wants a simple, user friendly unit with a brand name associated with quality, and anybody who wants more content can pay for extra components. I have the 9883 and would probably get a Pioneer or eclipse next time. Leaning more towards Eclipse. Just based on my readings on IMPRINT, you spend the extra 150 bucks for the kit it puts it worlds apart from other HUs but if you're looking for built-in stuff out to get the most out of a HU you can without adding extra componenents, there's others out there that give you more for not much more money.

From what I hear alpine didn't put as much content in the newer lines because they found for their market most people weren't interested or don't normally use them. Probably figured for more elaborate setups make people fork over $$$ for imprint. I guess they only surveyed Best Buy/Chain store customers who mostly buy an HU and maybe a couple coaxes and call it a day.

James Bang
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM
what a way to downgrade

that reply was about the exact models he replaced. He went from a higher end Pioneer to a lower line Alpine...

you gotta compare apples to apples.

infamous_e46
12-19-2008, 01:08 PM

YEAH screw nakamichi and eclipse lawl

groove269
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
would this include the Pioneer AVIC F900BT?

nineball
12-19-2008, 06:21 PM
i had an x-001 earlier this year and was not impressed at all with the sq. as a matter of fact i was quite displeased. i have an x-100 sitting next to me waiting to be installed when it warms up again, but i will also be using the imprint kit with it. everything i have read, like stated in this thread, says that the imprint makes a world of difference in sq.

that being said, while i was never a fan of jvc before i am currently running a kd-sh1000 and absolutely love the sq it has. usb AND sd slots, parametric eq, t/a and the other eq features on this really have a huge impact on the sound. there is no noticable distortion until i reach 48/50 on the volume control as well. unless the x100/imprint can surpass what i have now, which i hope it can, i will be staying with the jvc until it dies. i had it up for sale before just because i had a few hus at the time but it is now my keeper.

James Bang
12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
i had an x-001 earlier this year and was not impressed at all with the sq. as a matter of fact i was quite displeased. i have an x-100 sitting next to me waiting to be installed when it warms up again, but i will also be using the imprint kit with it. everything i have read, like stated in this thread, says that the imprint makes a world of difference in sq.

that being said, while i was never a fan of jvc before i am currently running a kd-sh1000 and absolutely love the sq it has. usb AND sd slots, parametric eq, t/a and the other eq features on this really have a huge impact on the sound. there is no noticable distortion until i reach 48/50 on the volume control as well. unless the x100/imprint can surpass what i have now, which i hope it can, i will be staying with the jvc until it dies. i had it up for sale before just because i had a few hus at the time but it is now my keeper.

well... those alpine units don't even play audio CDs.... don't expect great sound from mp3s.

nineball
12-20-2008, 01:06 AM
who said anything about mp3 files? i use wav for most everything, 320 if i don't.

Ferendon
12-20-2008, 01:51 AM
I use Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer all day long. Mind you, I only deal Premier on the Pioneer side of things, except the 700BT and 7010BT. We carry the 90BT, instead of the 900BT (5v pre-outs instead of 2.2v, 2 year warranty, iPod cable included, etc). Customer satisfaction, bang for the buck, reliability, and general consensus for best sound, ALL go to Pioneer. You get so much more for your money, better displays, more functionality, better EQ, stronger pre-outs, USB AND iPod with a single cable + and adapter, as compared to most other decks with just the iPod. Same holds true with the new nav units. A ton more for the money. Not to mention all of the add-ons for Alpine blow, hard. Kenwood decks, especially DDINs, can only handle 2 add-ons at most, and even then only if one of them is XM. The 8120 can only take one add on at the moment.

Alpines interface is decent, except for the face that you can't exit the menus. You have to wait for them to time out. And the Imprint piece is loaded full of noise, and spends a lot of time being replaced to get rid of the whine. It also likes to lose it's programming.

Tell me what deck you want, and I tell which Pioneer is better, and usually cheaper. Keep in mind, I deal pretty exclusively with the Premier series, and couldn't give two shits about the regular line-up.

Ferendon
12-20-2008, 01:51 AM
would this include the Pioneer AVIC F900BT?

The 900's a turd. Get a 90. Usually only $100 difference in price.

Steveopevo
12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I use Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer all day long. Mind you, I only deal Premier on the Pioneer side of things, except the 700BT and 7010BT. We carry the 90BT, instead of the 900BT (5v pre-outs instead of 2.2v, 2 year warranty, iPod cable included, etc). Customer satisfaction, bang for the buck, reliability, and general consensus for best sound, ALL go to Pioneer. You get so much more for your money, better displays, more functionality, better EQ, stronger pre-outs, USB AND iPod with a single cable + and adapter, as compared to most other decks with just the iPod. Same holds true with the new nav units. A ton more for the money. Not to mention all of the add-ons for Alpine blow, hard. Kenwood decks, especially DDINs, can only handle 2 add-ons at most, and even then only if one of them is XM. The 8120 can only take one add on at the moment.

Alpines interface is decent, except for the face that you can't exit the menus. You have to wait for them to time out. And the Imprint piece is loaded full of noise, and spends a lot of time being replaced to get rid of the whine. It also likes to lose it's programming.

Tell me what deck you want, and I tell which Pioneer is better, and usually cheaper. Keep in mind, I deal pretty exclusively with the Premier series, and couldn't give two shits about the regular line-up.

I'm leaning towards the 700bt, it's got a clean, classy look and a 3 band parametric eq, built in blue tooth. I spoke to a reliable professional source about this matter yesterday and he told me that although alpine maybe slightly better in sq the difference is very slight. Another thing to keep in mind is that even with that said, being number two or even number three in sound quality is **** good. that means that pioneer is better than 95 % of the other brands. And you got to love the features pioneer gives you for your money.

khanhfat
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
go for 9886 if u want the USB input and the Ipod input included... otherwise their EQ is soso ...

I owns the 9886 and 9887 both has pros and cons but the fact that alpine makes u buy additional shiet to get a perfect HU made me gave up on it.

bigaudiofanatic
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Alpine is the best head unit you can buy no if and or buts. I have had pioneers 2 of them one the cd ejector stopped working on me and the other had rely bad noise ******* threw my speakers. The people that say oh well pioneer has the premier line and its way better than a alpine well if you wanna compare apple to apples so does alpine its the f1 series and if want to compare them the alpine is the best again. by the way cam i am not arguing with you lol i agree with you 100% Alpine is the best head unit you can buy as for the original question a lot of newer head unit dont have the mid controls I know its weird but you can still fine tune your system.:D

bigaudiofanatic
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Not true at all about exiting the menus all you have to do is hit the menu button again or turn the volume knob. It all depends on what menu you are in.
http://www.alpine.com/e/corporate/brand/images/img_brand_index_01.gif

James Bang
12-22-2008, 12:02 PM
the word 'best' shouldn't really be used around here.

Steveopevo
12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Alpine is the best head unit you can buy no if and or buts. I have had pioneers 2 of them one the cd ejector stopped working on me and the other had rely bad noise ******* threw my speakers. The people that say oh well pioneer has the premier line and its way better than a alpine well if you wanna compare apple to apples so does alpine its the f1 series and if want to compare them the alpine is the best again. by the way cam i am not arguing with you lol i agree with you 100% Alpine is the best head unit you can buy as for the original question a lot of newer head unit dont have the mid controls I know its weird but you can still fine tune your system.:D

I like boosting my mids slightly higher than flat

jsmitty1985
05-24-2010, 03:41 PM
9887 anyday!

Yuck.
06-18-2010, 04:57 PM
You want to buy my 9887, check out my sale thread, its BNIB with basically a full warranty, got it from an authorized dealer.

AllenH427
06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Get the CDA-117. It's like the 9886, just better looking IMO, has a 7 band graphic EQ/ 5 band parametric EQ, time correction, and more sound tweaks.