PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure - will it work?

thedivision
12-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Hello,

I'm building a box for a RE SE15.

34 hz
4 cu ft
ported
- 5" diameter
- 7.8" length

I need the port to fire in a hole in the rear deck (hence the placement) also be able to slide in the trunk.

Please let me know if it will work without producing excess port noise.

Also, is the port diameter big enough for 4 cu ft? Will it be hard to cut those angles?

Note, the sketch is really rough... just made it so you guys can get a good idea of the placement.

Thanks

lowriderram_95
12-17-2008, 10:27 PM
port looks a little short but then again I don't know alot about box building

schrummy
12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
needs more port area

my .02

DonH
12-17-2008, 11:09 PM
more port area! gona get port noise from that

req
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
why would you want a ported enclosure to fire in the opposite direction of the cone, unless you are compensating for the distance the cone wave will travel until it is reflected off the back of the trunk and aligns with the port though the rear deck opening you are wasting your time and will most likely cause cancellation.

and why are you trying to stuff a 15" sub in a small trunk that obviously wont fit in a normal enclosure where you should be more concerned with creating a low frequency setup that will fit into your vehicle and find some way for the waves to permeate the back seats.

thedivision
12-18-2008, 03:20 AM
The port is not to spec in the diagram. It should be 5"x7.8"... is that still not enough?

This is going into a Lexus LS400, and there is plenty of trunk space. The reason the port is facing the opposite direction is because there is a hole in the rear deck (where the stock subwoofer was). A regular sealed/ported enclosure will not do much in my car because the cabin is very sealed off from the trunk (there is a gas tank in between).

I am attempting to fire directly into the cabin with this enclosure.

Please advise.

IDSkoT
12-18-2008, 03:32 AM
The port is not to spec in the diagram. It should be 5"x7.8"... is that still not enough?

This is going into a Lexus LS400, and there is plenty of trunk space. The reason the port is facing the opposite direction is because there is a hole in the rear deck (where the stock subwoofer was). A regular sealed/ported enclosure will not do much in my car because the cabin is very sealed off from the trunk (there is a gas tank in between).

I am attempting to fire directly into the cabin with this enclosure.

Please advise.

No.

I like to use 6" as the minimum for a 15" driver. Or 2-4".
They only sell 3, 4, and 6" aeros anyway.

I don't even think they make 5" PVC.

DonH
12-18-2008, 01:27 PM
No.

I like to use 6" as the minimum for a 15" driver. Or 2-4".
They only sell 3, 4, and 6" aeros anyway.

I don't even think they make 5" PVC.

corection! they do make 5" pvc. u just have 2 get it from a landscaping store i.e. not homedepot! trust me used 2 do landscaping as a summer job. but w/e Go with the 6' aero!

IDSkoT
12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
corection! they do make 5" pvc. u just have 2 get it from a landscaping store i.e. not homedepot! trust me used 2 do landscaping as a summer job. but w/e Go with the 6' aero!

I stand corrected. :laugh:

thedivision
12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Is the enclosure type/design feasible?

... so long as the end of the port is 6" away from the walls/driver?

Pic of the sub for fun.

DonH
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
I stand corrected. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: sry man couldn't hold back:laugh::laugh:

loud-n-low
12-19-2008, 09:02 PM
just removing the factory sub should allow more output without firing the port through

shaneb
12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Or put it back in unplugged and make it a passive radiator :laugh: