PDA

View Full Version : Getting components, have questions.

boomzilla
12-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm finally upgrading my door speakers, never had components before and they're the PG RSD 5.25''. I know it's a bandwagon move, but I know nothing about them really and since the reviews are good, it's an alright place to start.

So, my questions are:
1. Where is the best place to start for my crossover frequency?
2. If I use the crossover's on my components (passive) can I still use the crossover settings on my hu to help the sound even more, or will it effect the sound badly?
3. And what amp would you guys recommend for these components?

I'd really appreciate your help, I have no idea where to start on this.
Thanks!

boomzilla
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Bump, I need some help!

headless
12-15-2008, 11:48 AM
1. I'd try a 100hz high pass crossover on those 5.25's as a place to start. Listen to the set and see if you can detect mechanical stresses at the highest volumes you like to listen - if not, lower it to 80hz and try again...if stress, maybe raise the crossover point, or just decide to listen at lower volumes :)
2. No...if you placed any crossovers at the same frequencies as the passive's your deck would just override the entire signal sent to the set...
3. Budget? Intentions on upgrading to a higher end set, or do you want an amp that is just good enough for the set you just bought?

boomzilla
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM
1. I'd try a 100hz high pass crossover on those 5.25's as a place to start. Listen to the set and see if you can detect mechanical stresses at the highest volumes you like to listen - if not, lower it to 80hz and try again...if stress, maybe raise the crossover point, or just decide to listen at lower volumes :)
2. No...if you placed any crossovers at the same frequencies as the passive's your deck would just override the entire signal sent to the set...
3. Budget? Intentions on upgrading to a higher end set, or do you want an amp that is just good enough for the set you just bought?

Ok.
So how do I keep the deck from overriding the passive crossover? My Pioneer has a built in active crossover/ equalizer network but it ***** (on my coax's), and has a built in HPF aswell. EDIT: Read your answer wrong, I get it now.
Yes just upgrading the amp, the amp I have now came from my first ever setup, it's a crappy 2 channel, has poor settings, etc. Just want something tried and true to use for relatively cheap, I only need about 200rms into 2 channels.