PDA

View Full Version : Port along top or bottom

46panel
12-13-2008, 02:57 AM
I've searched and some people say it dont matter but I just want other opinions. I am building my box for my two 18" BL's in the wall in the explorer which is going behind the 2nd row seats. I am worried if the port is along the bottom that the seats will block the air, and I'm really shootin to do a hair trick. I asked one guy on youtube and he said "i can guarantee you port bottom will give you better low end and overall louder. for spl and daily" Just looking for opinions. And box pictures will be up sometime soon in my build thread.

KyleBechtold
12-13-2008, 02:59 AM
in suv's i have always heard subs up port back was best way to go..

46panel
12-13-2008, 03:06 AM
in suv's i have always heard subs up port back was best way to go..

Yea man I know, but I've planned on doing the wall anyways and the box is already made for the most part. Now just wondering which way do I want the box. With the port on top or bottom.

KyleBechtold
12-13-2008, 03:08 AM
walls i don't know about.. in most pics i see port on side facing forward running vertically..
_____
O O ||
O O ||

46panel
12-13-2008, 03:14 AM
walls i don't know about.. in most pics i see port on side facing forward running vertically..
_____
O O ||
O O ||

Lol I seen alot like that also...but my ONLY choices are top or bottom. Nice lil drawing tho.

KyleBechtold
12-13-2008, 03:16 AM
how close is the port to the seats? if it can't breath it will basically be sealed with a leak lol.. and are you walling behind front seats or second row?

da box king
12-13-2008, 03:20 AM
I was wondering this too...but I always keep the port atleast port width away from any objects.

btw op where you at in michigan

46panel
12-13-2008, 03:26 AM
2nd row...I know I know tons of people think its a waste, but its what I wanted and its already whats been made. It will probably only be a 3ish inches away from the seats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWm0tNuh1Q&feature=channel_page
I know his isnt a wall in an suv but still the port is along the bottom and he's the one that said I should go on the bottom as well.

46panel
12-13-2008, 03:31 AM
I was wondering this too...but I always keep the port atleast port width away from any objects.

btw op where you at in michigan

Go to college in Saginaw but live up north in Cheboygan, around mackinaw city

O and I will most of the time have the rear seats folded down anyways?

KyleBechtold
12-13-2008, 03:37 AM
his is a little different as it is closer.. the sound needs something to let it produce so ports on bottom will give the sound more time to produce before it reaches your ears.. how hard would it be to flip the wall after its in.. i would be same size wouldn't it? so i assume it shouldnt be hard at all.. Im going to guess port on bottom..

46panel
12-13-2008, 03:39 AM
his is a little different as it is closer.. the sound needs something to let it produce so ports on bottom will give the sound more time to produce before it reaches your ears.. how hard would it be to flip the wall after its in.. i would be same size wouldn't it? so i assume it shouldnt be hard at all.. Im going to guess port on bottom..

Well the box is going to be heavy as a bi*ch....but I guess I can try it one way and then flip it the other :crap:

king ranch
12-13-2008, 03:53 AM
a true wall is walled off so if u do it right you cant flip it since the top is shapped to fit the roof to seal it off thats why its called a wall

Rashaddd
12-13-2008, 03:58 AM
I'd definitely go port on top.........

46panel
12-13-2008, 04:03 AM
a true wall is walled off so if u do it right you cant flip it since the top is shapped to fit the roof to seal it off thats why its called a wall

I know that... before I seal it off tho and make it a "wall"

46panel
12-13-2008, 04:05 AM
I'd definitely go port on top.........

Cool any reason? Its just most of the time the seats will be folded down anyways, altho I'm thinking the top so I never have to worry about anything in the way.

king ranch
12-13-2008, 04:06 AM
top should allow more of the air to flow nothing at all to block the path and prob easier to do hair tricks since the port will be window line or above, and big port above the subs looks awesome haha

46panel
12-13-2008, 04:13 AM
top should allow more of the air to flow nothing at all to block the path and prob easier to do hair tricks since the port will be window line or above, and big port above the subs looks awesome haha

Haha yea, so more people are saying to go ahead and have it up top.