PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Exc. x492 vs x792

nola504
12-13-2008, 01:54 AM
what's the difference other than $70. they put out the same rms power (22wx4) i'm a noob w/ all of this, so i don't see the difference other than a few things. what about the x792 makes it better than the x492, and is it worth the extra $70. My budget isn't very limited, as long as my HU is around $200 or less (like both are) I'm fine. I'm going to be getting some comps in the front and these will be powered by an external amp. I plan on getting a pair of coaxials for the back, and these would be used to "fill" the sound and will run off of the head unit. I'm still debating about which coaxials I want though. I'm thinking about some jl vr 6.5's, any other suggestions would be great on these too. (side question: will these sound okay on 22w rms, or should I get another HU w/ a higher rms output or some other coaxials for better efficency?) Anyway, I'm looking at these 2 HU's and have heard great things about each of them on this forum especially. so, what's the diff. between the two HU's and would the x792 be worth the extra $70? thanks in advance

sctattooer
12-13-2008, 02:33 AM
I have the 492, and love it. The only thing I wish was different is that I wish it had rear aux input. If the 792 has those, I'd say to me it's worth it because I have an external DVD unit to run to it.
The USB and aux in are on the front of the 492, easy to hook stuff to, so if you're not adding on a DVD player, tv, whatever, I'd go with the 492.

You wont actually get 22w out of the HU, but it'll be sufficient for the rear fill. Don't overspend on the coaxials, go relatively cheap back there, and put the extra into your comps. Rear fill is really only for back seat passengers, which normally isn't an every day occurance.

macq32
12-13-2008, 04:58 AM
^^ yup, yup, yup and yup

rear fill isnt going to do much for you
I've got a 791 excelon, love it

bigbangtheory
12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I have the 492, and love it. The only thing I wish was different is that I wish it had rear aux input. If the 792 has those, I'd say to me it's worth it because I have an external DVD unit to run to it.
The USB and aux in are on the front of the 492, easy to hook stuff to, so if you're not adding on a DVD player, tv, whatever, I'd go with the 492.

You wont actually get 22w out of the HU, but it'll be sufficient for the rear fill. Don't overspend on the coaxials, go relatively cheap back there, and put the extra into your comps. Rear fill is really only for back seat passengers, which normally isn't an every day occurance.

Glad to hear you are liking my deck I sold ya. ;)

x492 is a great deck and fine for what you are looking to do. It also has 4v pre-outs which is nice, although seems Pioneers sound a little better with the higer pre-outs.

Honestly, I can't think of much more the x792 does over the 492 with out checking, but for the money, you can't go wrong with the 492 or 792. I would just save the money and get the cheaper one...........that coming from a guy who is getting a DD Eclispe Navi unit after the new year, lol! :crazy: