PDA

View Full Version : SB Acoustics SB17NRX35C/ Vifa DX25TG05/ Need Help

Millertime1028
12-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Allright so , I will be going active fairly soon with the 880 but I am in a dilema with which speakers I should run . Im currently running Pioneer Premier 520PRS's passive . Ive been looking to get a bit louder and will be making fiberglass pods for whichever drivers I get next . Now , I know PRS's sound great ran active when crossed around 3- 3.5k hz which is what these drivers I have linked seem would seem to like
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8302
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1115
.. Now I would like try to keep the Pioneers in the doors as they are(midbass is excellent IMO) but would also like to use (2) SB acoustic mids (1) Vifa tweet per door in the fiberglassed pods . Now even though it seems im not one for imaging, dynamics, depth, and all good stuff that IS my MAIN concern. Staying well imaged while have exceptional clarity at higher volumes . Do I get rid of the PRS's all together and just run the SB acoustic drivers/ Vifa tweets ETC... If someone has info on these drivers/tweets i have listed and is willing to help me out a little I would highly appreciate any help or info . Thanks

Millertime1028
12-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Anyone ??

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Any opinions ?

James Bang
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
the good thing about going active is that if certain speakers aren't working out for you, then just change them out and try different ones.

bose301s
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Good tweets, decent mids from what has been said. Zaph did some measurements of both of those drivers.

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
hmm, yea I seen the tweet review from zaph but I couldnt find the review for the SB . I just want to make sure this will fit my needs . Just looking for pretty good SQ but able to get loud enough to keep up with the substage .. 1 comp set is not cutting it . Trying to figure out ow I will situate the driver in the truck also ..

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I was looking into those tweeters as well, the Sb mids are 8ohms vs 4 ohms for the pioneers.
the sb mids are 60 watts into 8ohms.
What are your pioneer mids rms @?
How many watts are you watts per channel on your amp?
I think you should keep mids that you have already, maybe look into a more powerful amp.

maybe try out the vifa tweeters & let us know how they sound
remember placement & deadening will make the biggest difference

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Yea doors are deadened and sealed, 30-40 sq/ft on each door with acoustic foam and non hardening clay. Mids are seeing around 80 rms right now HP at 63hz/12 db slope. They are rated at 50rms . Believe me they get loud and clear but they are smalll drivers to being with and cant keep up with the substage when its at full tilt . I currently have 800rms on tap for the highs.. 400 per side . Two amps

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 06:09 PM
maybe look into rianbow mids? This one is an 8inch slim
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7195
or
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7055
I have heard rianbows, which are nicer then the pioneers mid bass & louder.
If you do try these from woofersetc.com & you dont like it you can return to try something else out.
The same for partsexpress.com
plus they ave a pretty good warrant.
most mids cant keep up with your bass unless you go for a three way system.
I have my sub turned down right until i can get a bass knob so that i can control it.

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I wish I can fit an 8 or even 10's but I cant due to the design of the Jeep . Way to many things will get in the way if I go with a driver that big . So the biggest I can go with is around 6 1/2 mid . Thanks for listing those though . I appreciate the recommendations. Ill have to look over on DIYMA also .

iamamp3pimp
12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
only downside about that tweet is that the mounting flange is huge,

other than that, its an awesome speaker, i have its cousin, the xt25 ring radiator version, and they sound amazing in my car (i have 3 per side)

idk about the mid though, perhaps look in hessdawgs thread, hes selling the id oem cx64 mids for 90 shipped /pair and ive heard nothing but good about them....

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
make sure you know the depth as well, you can just take off your door panel roll down your window measure it from the window/glass to frame then add how your he depth of your MDF rings will be. the placement of the driver & door panel only need to be a little more than an inch.
you can also look into
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=296-410
I had a pair of the 7 but they where to deep, the upper mid was one of the best I've heard for a two way.

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 06:34 PM
wow three per side I bet they are loud

iamamp3pimp
12-15-2008, 07:15 PM
make sure you know the depth as well, you can just take off your door panel roll down your window measure it from the window/glass to frame then add how your he depth of your MDF rings will be. the placement of the driver & door panel only need to be a little more than an inch.
you can also look into
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=296-410
I had a pair of the 7 but they where to deep, the upper mid was one of the best I've heard for a two way.

hes building pods so depth shouldnt be much of an issue....

shouldnt be...

James Bang
12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Yea doors are deadened and sealed, 30-40 sq/ft on each door with acoustic foam and non hardening clay. Mids are seeing around 80 rms right now HP at 63hz/12 db slope. They are rated at 50rms . Believe me they get loud and clear but they are smalll drivers to being with and cant keep up with the substage when its at full tilt . I currently have 800rms on tap for the highs.. 400 per side . Two amps

turn down your sub...

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
yes down your gains

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
turn down your sub...

As I stated this is when subs are at full tilt. Gains are set with a dmm . No need to lower gains or things of that matter . I have (2) 18's BTW .. When subs are turned down by the controller everything blends perfectly fine . Everything is crossed correctly .

James Bang
12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
As I stated this is when subs are at full tilt. Gains are set with a dmm . No need to lower gains or things of that matter . I have (2) 18's BTW .. When subs are turned down by the controller everything blends perfectly fine . Everything is crossed correctly .

okay...

two 18"s full tilt. don't expect any pair of 6.5"s to keep up.

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
lol thats what im saying .. Its **** near impossible but was trying to help out the situation . Looked into some pro audio drivers but im looking for a bit more SQ ..

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
i'm kind of confused?
Are you looking for more midbass from up front or midrange to be more agressive with your 18s?
i dont think one single two set can keep up with two 18S!
you might want to add another imaging tweeter in dash/pillars-
or a three way /Large format tweeter-3,4 inch upper mids in your pillars.
midbass in your doors.
you can go active or passive.

okiedokie
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Pro audio sound is loud ,just loud. If you want Sq then your best bet is turn down your subs & just use them when you want to show off.

Millertime1028
12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Just looking to have more overall output but want the SQ . Just was hoping someone on here has heard the SB drivers themselves . As for what type of "overall output" im looking for its going to be hard to achieve the midbass I would need to go hand and hand with the 18's . Almost impossible in the little Jeep. Its a very small truck so im limited in that aspect . My subs are not always turned up .That would just be ridicoulous . But when it comes to demo'ing , thats when it lacks the output im looking for . I can easily get loud by doing pro audio or thing of that matter but thats not exactly what im looking for . Basically, what would be my best bet to getting a bit more output then I have now but keeping the front stage well imaged and the dynamics in check . There are plenty of easy routes such as just running , lets say 3 sets of comps but then how/where do I place the mids and tweets to get the imaging correct . Am i basically **** out of luck ? lol . There always is a sacrifice somewhere, i know that :crap: ... I appreciate you guys helping with this .

iamamp3pimp
12-16-2008, 02:40 PM
look ni my build thread

i have 2 6.5's per side and they do keep up with the subs fairly well.

okiedokie
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
you could go with two sets of comps that may work .
you'll have to play with the imaging to get it right for your liking in your jeep.

Millertime1028
12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I think that will be my best bet .. Ill have to try different placements of the mids and tweet to find the correct soundstage ..

James Bang
12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I think that will be my best bet .. Ill have to try different placements of the mids and tweet to find the correct soundstage ..

not sure what that means.

Millertime1028
12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
lol i meant achieve the correct soundstage .. You know what I mean ! .

James Bang
12-16-2008, 04:14 PM
is cutting the floorboard an option? :D there's usually a cavity by the firewall/kick area you can use as an enclosure for a nice 7"+ mid.

Millertime1028
12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
O man If I only were that crazy lol. I seen the guy with the red pickup over on DIYMA, I think he had the relevators . Has marble center console as well as part of the dash. I seriously thought about it because that would be ideal because of a few things but yea .. If I were keeping the truck for good then I wouldnt really care to much .

okiedokie
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
if you make those pods you'll be able to run a slim 8 up front.
Have you looked into Hertz?
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
they make an slim that you could xover high that has good mid bass plus take large amounts of power, so that you can get loud.
they also can fix into small enclosers,like speaker pods.
I might up grade some day to these 8's

what a about six by nine mid from ID
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5717

James Bang
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
if you make those pods you'll be able to run a slim 8 up front.
Have you looked into Hertz?
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
they make an slim that you could xover high that has good mid bass plus take large amounts of power, so that you can get loud.
they also can fix into small enclosers,like speaker pods.
I might up grade some day to these 8's

what a about six by nine mid from ID
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5717

that would be a good choice. they have just about the same cone area as 8"s, and they sound sweet.

Millertime1028
12-16-2008, 06:47 PM
hmm, looking into those now .. Friggen hard decision . Just have to bite the bullet and pick a setup out I guess . James have you ever heard the SB acoustics mids before ?

James Bang
12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
nope.

okiedokie
12-17-2008, 01:49 PM
remember those SB's are very low power & you said you wanted to go louder!
those speakers would sound much better active as well.

I've heard most hertz lines & i'm thinking about up grading to those fro my cdt audio 62i mids, which i'm starting not like my new mids.

James Bang
12-17-2008, 02:55 PM
remember those SB's are very low power & you said you wanted to go louder!
those speakers would sound much better active as well.

I've heard most hertz lines & i'm thinking about up grading to those fro my cdt audio 62i mids, which i'm starting not like my new mids.

going active doesn't automatically make speakers or a system sound better.

okiedokie
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
going active doesn't always work for all speakers, but those SB would easier to control going active vs tring to make a passxover for them or trying to use a premade one.

I've played around with passive & active, & i would it mostly depends on your placement for your install, & deadening, headunit,& car acoustics
not one car brand is alike.

James Bang
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
going active doesn't always work for all speakers, but those SB would easier to control going active vs tring to make a passxover for them or trying to use a premade one.

I've played around with passive & active, & i would it mostly depends on your placement for your install, & deadening, headunit,& car acoustics
not one car brand is alike.

how is that? going active is just being able to choose your own desired xover points and slopes. If you were to choose a xover point and slope that would be exactly the same a certain passive xover, it should sound just about the same, other than the passive xover stealing some power (given the same setup, car, speakers, amps, ect) .

okiedokie
12-17-2008, 06:20 PM
you'll have to find the points & slopes.
Every one doesn't have the time or money for all the processoring to do it right.

James Bang
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
you'll have to find the points & slopes.
Every one doesn't have the time or money for all the processoring to do it right.

that's ******!

okiedokie
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
yep

James Bang
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
a lot of people have the money for processoring, but I dont' think the majority of them know how to use it correctly.

Vestax
12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I like to decorate my car by processoring.

James Bang
12-17-2008, 08:29 PM
when you add external crossovers or EQs, you would then be processorizing your system.

if you're not processorized, then you're missing out.

AndyInOC
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
im processorized lol

okiedokie
12-18-2008, 02:39 PM
processing can be good & bad, I like to Keep It Simple now.
oh you where saying that active & passive can sound the same? I think active can & will sound better by opening it up. some drivers need that to correct it. I have a pair of cdt audio 62i which i have run active & they sounde dso sweet on 250 per channel xovered as i want it to, but when i went back to cdt's passive xover it didnt sound right.
when a company test there drivers it isn't always done in real world testing or it wasn't done in my car door, so what i'm saying is that on my scion tc door which is very lagre for a car typical car door for the best sound would be for me go active & do lots processing.

plus if your'e going to use home drivers vs car drivers car it will take much more processing to correct a driver to a car acoustics.
Qts,Qes,Fs aren't alike.
like home drivers better