PDA

View Full Version : Box for speakers?

Plutoman
12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Just curious on this. Hadn't seen anything on it when I searched... but anyways.

This isn't out of any practical use atm, though it might have an impact for my friend. Just mainly curiosity. Though I might try it out with my own for the sake of it.

Would putting speakers such as 6x9's into a box, small, probably a half a cube, improve the bass output of them? Possibly porting the box, tuned to like 40hz? Just curious here. I'd assume it would, but I haven't seen anything.

I'm asking this because I see many factory setups with 6x9's in the back, just sitting there in the trunk. Free air, it's almost IB, but there's usually slight gaps.

undeadxsunshine
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Hm maybe, are they coax or comps?

Plutoman
12-11-2008, 09:02 PM
hm maybe, but if you put the boxes in the trunk you wont be able to hear the tweeters well...

I was thinking theoretically you'd mount up a box underneath the bottom, keeping them in the same mounting location, and seal the edges of the box to the rear deck.

I'm not looking at an actual physical problem, just curious theoretically. The ones I might try it with just in my garage, not mounting them, would be coaxial.

undeadxsunshine
12-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Well in that case you might see a little improvement, don't know how much though.

outspoken
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
don't know about ported, but i did some 6x9's in small boxes years ago and they sounded better on the rear deck... don't know if it helps just my $.02

Plutoman
12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
don't know about ported, but i did some 6x9's in small boxes years ago and they sounded better on the rear deck... don't know if it helps just my $.02

I wondered if they would. The mids and tweets wouldn't be affected, but you should see a good improvement off the box for the midbass woofer. Good project for this weekend or something for me to try. I even have my old baffles still, from when I used them in my old car.

Ferendon
12-11-2008, 09:14 PM
It makes a difference. We've done it here at the shop a few times. We actually did a custom system in the bed of a truck used for car shows and other public events, with 8 pairs of 6x9s in small custom boxes. Worked out quite nicely, and sounded a lot better than it did when they dropped the truck off. The speakers where mounted into a board IB-stylee.

Plutoman
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
It makes a difference. We've done it here at the shop a few times. We actually did a custom system in the bed of a truck used for car shows and other public events, with 8 pairs of 6x9s in small custom boxes. Worked out quite nicely, and sounded a lot better than it did when they dropped the truck off. The speakers where mounted into a board IB-stylee.

Good to hear.

My friend, another reason I'm curious, is almost satisfied with his factory system, but he's slightly lacking in volume on the bass from the rear 6x9's. He's almost satisfied. I'm thinking about mounting a small .4 or .5 cube box under each one, and sealing it to the bottom of the rear deck - I'll run some tests, on my own, and see if ported would work - he's not big into sound quality - and run from there.

Might save him a subwoofer. Though, I'm not sure, he could go all bass head and keep wanting slightly more, but we'll see. At the very least, fun project.

Xprime4
12-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I put some polk db 6x9 in .3cu/feet and midbass dissapear.... I guess it's relative to the speakers but most of them are made for Ib

Horsemanwill
12-11-2008, 11:32 PM
depends on the speaker. ask the company that made them they would be able to tell u

geowick07
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
depends on the speaker. ask the company that made them they would be able to tell u
This

geo

boomzilla
12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I think there was a thread on here about this guy in a van who made a wall of 6x9's or something like that and hit a pretty high dB score, so I'm sure with the right speakers and design it could help bass output.